IT.COM

Is there a point in other extensions besides .com?

Spaceship
Watch

kinguard

Established Member
Impact
Is there a point in taking .us .org or .net if .com is already taken but the domain name itself is superior? And if so, which extension after .com is the best for end user?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
which extension after .com is the best for end user?

End users usually will take .net, .org and now .co if they really want the name.

But if you are speculating on sitting on one of them for a possible future sale, I wouldnt waste the money.

Last edited:
•••
It depends on the name and what will be it's use, for instance I own the name CRYPTO.co.ve "Crypto" is a nice name to own in any extension.

•••
I own IoTCloud in dot us & I am going to sit on this for longer. I don't think end user much care about any extension. If they cared about any then there will be no other extension have born after .com .net & .org.

•••
I think it depends on the word (as others have said) if taking other extensions is wise. If you see that in a few years it will be highly sought after, then I think a bit of speculation and holding for a few years is wise. The extensions to take are less obvious. Personally I would not bother with info/biz or us. I would take org or net in general, and if for a business use would definitely take .co or .io. I also would look at some others that were a good match - like if in technology would consider tech, if futuristic science might take .science. I think it is hard to predict beyond maybe a year or two what extensions might become popular. I suspect that most did not predict the strength .io has achieved.

•••

Last edited:
•••
depends, for cryptocurrency (and other pc technical) - .io domains could even be better in the future

•••
It's all relative, there is no substitute for experience, but you can shorten the learning curve by learning from others that have it.

•••
Is there a point in taking .us .org or .net if .com is already taken but the domain name itself is superior? And if so, which extension after .com is the best for end user?
By what measure?

•••
Depends on what your domain is about. Wikipedia looks better with .org than .com extension.

•••
As we all know .com extensions are already best but are there is another option apart .com extensions so I would say to go with .in or .net because people usually move with .in or .net after .com extensions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back