IT.COM

Jan 3rd 2008 DomainTools.com Online Auction Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DotWeekly

DotWeekly FounderVIP Member
DotWeekly Staff
Impact
Ok, we finally have official word from DomainTools.com about the online auction they will be having.

Date: Jan. 3, 2008
Place: DomainTools.com (Online Only)
Time: 11:00 am PT

You can submit up to 20 domains total. For more info, please see the following link.

http://www.domaintools.com/live-auction/ (you must be logged in)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
agentjon said:
Crazy, just saw the list, surprised to see all my domains are on the list. Cheers.
All? lol

•••
I know, crazy, we'll see what makes the final list, or is this the final list?

•••
Just noticed Grampa.com made the list....

•••
Still scratching my head...

Like many other NPers, I was checking my DomainTools account over Christmas to see if any of my domains had been accepted for the Jan 3rd auction. Alas, no but I was interested to see what had been accepted.

With some exceptions this seems a fairly underwhelming list. There are at least 10 "housing" names of the HollywoodHousing.com variety. These names have been on the auction block before and didn't sell then. Maybe a few this time, but 10 of them?

10114.com is a zip code domain but it is one of the USPS "unique" zip codes which serve only a single address. Not much buyer competition there.

CanadaBeer.com seems only a C & D letter away from being shut down by Molsons Brewery who are quick to defend their Canadian Beer trademark.

There also seem to be quite a few lengthy 3 keyword domains. Oh well, DomainTools are supposed to be one of the leading industry professionals so it will be interesting to see how many of these names actually sell.

Good luck to any NPers whose names are on The List.

•••
4 of my 17 submitted names made the preliminary list, exiting :)

•••
Many of those "Housing" domains were in the last auction and didn't sell. Now here they are again.

•••
Is it free to submit your domain name, and does DomainTools charge a fee for this?

If it's free, then I might as well list all my domains and try to get as much as I can for them.

•••
Shan said:
Is it free to submit your domain name, and does DomainTools charge a fee for this?

If it's free, then I might as well list all my domains and try to get as much as I can for them.

The deadline for submission is over. And you would need to pay only $1 for verification purposes

•••
•••
Still says preliminary list on the top, am i missing something.

•••
•••
I didn't realize that the reserves would be posted alongside the names. Many names on here do not deserve to be on the list at all and many have outrageous reserves.

If I had known that they were so anti-.net I would have submitted less :hehe:

•••
Sleepys said:
I didn't realize that the reserves would be posted alongside the names. Many names on here do not deserve to be on the list at all and many have outrageous reserves.
IMO, this auction will be worse than last one.

•••
eg.domains said:
IMO, this auction will be worse than last one.

LoL, cant be worse then the last one (atleast for me) I went 0 for 7 last time.

Justin

•••
wow- those reserves are high - this should be interesting to watch

•••
OK. Let's have a comp. Which domain is going to sell highest over reserve in %age terms. I kinda like Konigsberg.com but because of the lack of appeal to the US market, I'll go with SportsCycles.com

•••
I think EastTimor.org - with its price so low could create a bidding war. Considering even bad country .info's fetch high xxx - I believe this would will break the x,xxx mark and thus the % will be high.... thats my pick.

Justin

•••
Spade said:
I think EastTimor.org - with its price so low could create a bidding war. Considering even bad country .info's fetch high xxx - I believe this would will break the x,xxx mark and thus the % will be high.... thats my pick.

Justin

That's what I posted on Jay's blog too.

•••
alexsimon said:
That's what I posted on Jay's blog too.

Great minds think alike?

•••
What do you think?

Checking out The List again and I see that Dimond.net is still in the auction. I just checked that web page and see that it's a typo of "diamond". The Google figure is somewhat skewed as that figure encompasses some diamond searches as well as the city of Dimond CA etc.

What do you NPers think of the the value of typo domains, especially dot nets, in an auction of this type? Apologies if this domain belongs to an NPer, I'm just interested to figure this out.

•••
Good luck to those in the auction, some very mediocre names on show.

For those who may be interested but cannot afford some of those reserve prices look

HERE

•••
wot said:
Good luck to those in the auction, some very mediocre names on show.

For those who may be interested but cannot afford some of those reserve prices look

HERE
Your post doesn't really make any sense? You say some very mediocre names on show (list), then you hand reg some hypen domains that are in the auction and self promote, and offer them for $200 each.

That's classic. ;)

•••
Yofie said:
Your post doesn't really make any sense? You say some very mediocre names on show (list), then you hand reg some hypen domains that are in the auction and self promote, and offer them for $200 each.

That's classic. ;)

Sense is in the eye of the beholder, did the same last auction and sold one new hyphen reg for $670. :$: two weeks later.

It was also a mediocre hyphen domain that I sold (eye of the buyer!) - why do you think those names in the auction are in general good names :?

$200 for hyphenated versions of names that one of the supposed top online auction houses considers each of the non hyphenated versions to be worth at least $9k - damn good deal for buyers in my opinion. :)

•••
TheLegendaryJP said:
Just face facts, that list apart from a few acronyms and some low $XXXX combos ... it sucks and I wonder why Jay is even doing it.

to make $1.00 per listing? :lol:

•••
Revenue generating domain names on DomainTools Auction?

As a new domainer, I consider bidding in this auction and I am wondering which ones would bring in type-in traffic. Could experienced domainers share any insights? As some big players might be away for vacation; maybe I can grab some revenue generating domains. I will appreciate any analysis.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back