Dynadot

Language on Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey yall,

My first question of the night isss!! (dont worry, its more specific than my other ones)

So far that ive looked, i noticed that most or even all of the domains I've looked at were in english. I was wondering if going to other languages will allow me to tap into new potential opportunities?

sorry if the question is wierdly written

Nono:?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
haha aww thats so nice!! i guess only those who understand japanese would get it huh...
aight well ill wait for a beter reply there Julia but thanks! haha

nono

•••
hey... mine is not good enough for you? :(

•••
apparently not. :P

if you know buyers in those countries, then there is potential. If not, you may have a difficult time.

•••
I used to sit here for hours translating Spanish names and doing searches. I did buy 3 of them, Venora.com which I use for a web design company, and the other two Cobrado.com and Meloso.com I have no use for. And these names are pretty well listed with yahoo, but they do nothing. So I would say stick to good old English domain names, they sell. Check out this yahoo link for Cobrado.com http://search.yahoo.com/search?p="cobrado.com"&ei=UTF-8&vm=i&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

If you had results like this with an English domain name, well you'd be really smiling. If your fluent in another language and will contact end users, then it's a maybe, but I say, stick with what works.

•••
•••
Let's not forget about the Symbol Domains also!
Here's an interesting article on the symbol domains:

New Domains and Domain Symbols from ICANN and Verisign
... will only be a matter of time before some of these symbols will be snapped up by
brand-savvy companies wishing to secure an Internet address based on a symbol ...
www.pdom.com/pr_domain_symbols.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

•••
Originally posted by KingDon
If your fluent in another language and will contact end users, then it's a maybe, but I say, stick with what works.
I agree. I think it's best to get a domain name where it is in your native language, or even a word you made up ;)

•••
Well here is the answer to your question..

Majority of the countries who have access to internet have some english speaking skills. The rest for example, Switzerland has the most internet users in the world. Then Swiss domains would obviously be a good target. Then I guess comes US and Canada and UK.

But then again there might be users in Switzerland who might be looking for say example electronics and somehow would reach to english site.

Hope this helps

•••
Hmm... I've seen some websites where you could switch to other languages, but hmm... I don't know. Most sites are probably in english 'cuz that's a 'universal' language.

•••
I don't know if I can help you.I'm french canadian and I never go on a french site except for chat.People from Quebec province do the same than I do.Business language is english and we always use it when we travel doesn't matter where we go.When I met spanish people,we speak in english.English is not only a language but an attitude.That's the reason why you are always first.I only have 1 french domain name:protocoledekyoto.com but I have alot of english .cn and I'm not scare at them.

•••
You left out a huge one: German. Sedo has sold some expensive German domains.

•••
it could be dosdgkhsdgj.com and the domain registration company wouldn't care XD

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back