Dynadot

Legal issues using same or similar name in .com .net .org?

Spaceship
Watch
This is probably a common question but I coudn't find info on this.
If a person or business owns for example XYZ.com can I legally use XYZ.org even if it is a similar business? I want to register an automotive/car news type domain but someone has been sitting on this particular domain I want for years. Can I just add "The" to the front of this .com or is it safer to register the same name under .net or .org? This is driving me nuts because it seems all the automotive/car domains have been purchased by domain companies hoping to make a profit.
What exactly are the legal issues regarding similar names. Is it perfectly legal to use the same name in a .net even though the content might be similar. The problem I am having is that this person has been sitting on this domain for years and has never had any website of any kind. Would it be safer to register as a .net or just add "THE" to the front of this .com or maybe add "THE" to the front of this in a .net?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do ever get Dejavu??

Didnt i just read this somewhere else??

•••
Badger said:
Do ever get Dejavu??

Didnt i just read this somewhere else??
I thought only i felt that way

•••
xyris said:
I thought only i felt that way

*playing theme song of The Twilight Zone*

Mitchwill, just search the threads here for similar issues. You'd be surprised.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back