IT.COM

discuss Lowballs and Entitlement and Bullying, oh my! How would You handle this?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

fivehead

Established Member
Impact
I was contacted earlier in the week about one of my domains. After the other party's last e-mail, I decided to start this discussion and ask your professional opinions. Here's the transcript:

----------------------------THEM:
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing the domain <___>.com from you for $75 USD.
Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,
___

----------------------------ME:

Hi ___,

Thanks for the offer, but we spent a decent chunk more than that to acquire the domain.

We do have preliminary plans to build it out, but please make an offer and maybe you can talk us out of it. :)

Best,
___

I'd be willing to offer you $225 for the domain. That is a fair price for it. I also already am associated with it as a brand. So it will avoid confusion.

In return I'd be willing to help you with some of your online business endeavors and networking opportunities.

Hi ___,

Owners of the non .com version of the domain have been in contact about acquiring the .com and we've been in contact w/ <___> about it.

So we've had quite a bit of interest in/offers for the name (in addition to our own endeavors), so am just not motivated to let it go at or near your offer.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Did you have a counter offer in mind?

Ohhh, somewhere in the mid 4 figures would probably do it.

That's practically extortion. I could see $500 or $800 being hardball. But there is no reason you should think it's worth mid 4 figures. There is no quantifiable data for that valuation.

I know the brands you're talking about and there is no way they would entertain that figure.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>END:

This is eerily reminiscent of many parent/child conversations I've had (I want candy, I'm entitled to it because candy is for kids, and if you don't give it to me, you're a bad parent, and I won't love you any more)! ;)

The rational person in me says to take the high road and break communication off by simply not replying (treat it like the spam that it is). Or reply and say thanks for your time, or something to the effect of "I'm sorry that you feel that way. Let me know if you change your mind."

The curious person in me says to reply, asking them to explain why I should sell the domain for less than I paid to a person who was the opposite of respectful. You're entitled to it because you're one of a long list of people who are loosely associated with words of a domain that I own?

The prideful person in me says to ask in what world they think it's ok to come into my store, tell me what a fair offer is, then accuse me of extortion, tell me how to think (several times), then speak for all other parties that might be interested in the name.

If you read the definition of extortion (extortion: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats) .... it pretty much sums up their tactics, not mine, to this point.

I now know this negotiation is going nowhere, but I wanted to pick your brains on how you might have done things differently, or how you might proceed (I received the last e-mail this morning, so as far as the other party knows, I'm still considering selling, based on their badgery tactic!).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I get many offers just like this.

In general I just ignore low quality offers and people with bad attitudes because it is a waste of time.
I focus my time and energy on offers that have chance to pan out.

Brad

•••
Thanks so much @bmugford for your thoughts. I really do appreciate it.

That's a good point that you bring up. I usually take the same approach, but I think I was sucked in because this person displayed loudly and proudly who they were, rather than hide it.

I fully expect this behavior out of someone hiding behind a fake e-mail address, but was quite surprised that this came from someone who appears to run a successful blog, has a strong facebook following, etc.

Maybe that's the answer...success inflated their sense of self-importance and led them to believe that they deserved this domain.

Look at me...turning this into a deep-rooted psychology discussion!

•••
Too much attention and talk going on.

It either is, or it isn't - and that's all there is to it.

Also, it sounds like they are offering you 'registration costs' and trying to maintain a legally safe position that allows them to file a UDRP.

"avoid confusion" "extortion" - these are all things to set you up for bad faith.

Sometimes you just have to take a hard line and tell them you would "consider" any offer they wanted to present, but at the end of the day you weren't very interested in selling the domain.

Then let them be the next ones to respond, no follow up, no lengthy communications.

•••
Thank you very much for your continued interest in this domain name, which is appreciated :)

However, in light of exchanges with other parties who are also interested in this name, I see no benefit in continuing this conversation at the price levels you mention.

Have a great day!

•••
i just say.."Thanks for the offer, but it's too low to consider."

however, i did note this in the correspondence:
"There is no quantifiable data for that valuation"

when something like that is said, i would suspect that is another domainer.

imo...

•••
@DomainVP it sounds like I definitely shouldn't screw around, trying to feed my curious or prideful selves! Thanks.

@DavidH thanks for taking the time. At this point, I'm leaning towards a combination of your script and DomainVP's for my final communication.

•••
I've been known to be an A-Hole at times. Not a jerk.... Just very blunt and direct. I also have a sense of humor and would have definitely wrote them back asking them to explain their rationale. Probably a complete waste of time and energy but I'd do it anyway.

But don't listen to me brother. I'm missing a few screws.

•••
I think you are letting their attitude get to you.

Don't forget it was a knee jerk reaction and they responded immediately (or at least within a short time) of receiving your email stating a price which shocked them.

NEVER close the door on a potential sale that could return in a few months/years.

Be polite, thank them for their time and state that you are going to go ahead and develop the domain as originally planned ;)

Then put a website coming soon page up.

Good luck!

•••
@JimJammy I have a love/hate relationship with this. I suspect you're right because I often marvel at salespersons who are able to put their blinders on and continue to do business with people after seeing what they're capable of. Means to an end, I reckon.

I guess the ultimate last laugh is when cooler heads prevail and they come crawling back. B-)

•••
Some of them don't come crawling back, too embarrassed - so it's worth putting it on GoDaddy/Sedo/Everywhere at the price you quoted them at the same time you put your 'website coming soon' page up.

If they find it and buy it, they will think you've left it there accidently and be laughing at you... with your mid four figures in the bank ;)

Mind games - you win!

•••
In my 20's I used to get insulted by their tone in the email, now in my 40's I learned not to get pulled into negativity and to respond professionally, regardless of their ignorance And bad attitude probably brought forth by their frustration. I am in control of the correspondence and can choose to respond or not at my discretion. life is hard enough without letting people get to you. Business should be void of emotion. Although I must admit being nice can benefit them seeing as I have all the discretion in making a decision.

•••
when something like that is said, i would suspect that is another domainer.

I wondered the same, since he got in touch via the whois email, rather than the contact information on the coming soon page.

•••
I would be curious to know more of what they meant and can offer when they said the following.
"In return I'd be willing to help you with some of your online business endeavors and networking opportunities."

•••
It will only benefit you to be polite. It might feel like you are being dumped on, and it may leave a sour taste in your mouth, but at the end of the day you must remember the #1 thing...

YOU OWN THE DOMAIN... NOT THEM...

You have the power, and they will do their best to finagle and haggle you, but if you educate yourself and take the high road then you will win every time.

It takes some time to really learn that silence is your friend as well.

It makes people feel better when they use 'tracking apps' that show you when and where your eMails are opened, and how often they were opened. It lets you, the sender, know that the interested party is paying attention to what you say and may warrant a follow up etc...

However I subscribe to the "do, or don't" mindset.

If someone sends an inquiry, I will answer them professionally and then leave it at that.

If they have sent an inquiry, the domain has sold itself - now it's all about will they pay what you are asking.

In that capacity, they either do... or they don't... and I leave it at that.

We have all short sold or made missteps at times, but you just learn from your experiences. I'm sure I've left a good amount of money on the table with some deals, but these days when it comes to other parties wanting my property

•••
I wondered the same, since he got in touch via the whois email, rather than the contact information on the coming soon page.

end-users know how to use whois as well, so that's not a definite.

you just have to read "in-between-the-lines" to get a feel, for who is feeling you out.

imo....

•••
If you read the definition of extortion (extortion: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats) .... it pretty much sums up their tactics, not mine, to this point.

Well that's a matter of opinion, isn't it. You made implied threats in your response.

•••
Thanks so much @bmugford for your thoughts. I really do appreciate it.

That's a good point that you bring up. I usually take the same approach, but I think I was sucked in because this person displayed loudly and proudly who they were, rather than hide it.

I fully expect this behavior out of someone hiding behind a fake e-mail address, but was quite surprised that this came from someone who appears to run a successful blog, has a strong facebook following, etc.

Maybe that's the answer...success inflated their sense of self-importance and led them to believe that they deserved this domain.

Look at me...turning this into a deep-rooted psychology discussion!

Way to stay firm though. He used some hardball tactics to get you to break and sell the domain for lower than you wanted to. People will be aggressive and some will be rude but it is part of the game.

One thing for sure when low ball offers come in do not ignore them because you never know how much more they will be willing to pay. But if they turn out to be rude and disrespectful of course just let them go. I have made some great sales from low ball offers as we continued to negotiate and found a common ground on price.

- Will

•••
I would be curious to know more of what they meant and can offer when they said the following.
"In return I'd be willing to help you with some of your online business endeavors and networking opportunities."

I actually get these non-monetary deal-sweeteners quite a bit. My gut instinct is always: I'm only interested in cash endeavors and cash opportunities, so I rarely even inquire.

Though, I sometimes find myself wondering: should I at least inquire what they can offer? Mayhaps they really can provide value or maybe entertaining their offering gets them more emotionally involved. OR do I stick with @DomainVP's Yoda-esque (sorry, couldn't resist) do or don't mindset?

Maybe it changes from situation to situation, based on how strong one's gut is at reading the situation. I'm not yet a seasoned and/or salty domain vet, so that's why I am so thankful that you all weighed in to help me learn! Not that you're all seasoned or salty vets...digging myself a hole...just appreciate reading about your experiences.

•••
Though, I sometimes find myself wondering: should I at least inquire what they can offer? Mayhaps they really can provide value or maybe entertaining their offering gets them more emotionally involved.

If you do decide to reply, use it as a selling point to flatter them.

"I recognize your strong ability to promote and further business ventures, your offer is truly appreciated. However, I will not be able to consider that as compensation for me relinquishing full control and ownership of a domain that I can use to significantly further my existing interests and plans. For now, in good faith I will consider any other offers or proposals that you have in mind today."

and then leave it at that...

It's not what every one does, or what you should do, but it's what I would do.

•••
Well that's a matter of opinion, isn't it. You made implied threats in your response.

One of the reasons I started this thread was to learn missteps I may have made, so I'd definitely be interested in learning which of my responses came across as implied threats, in your opinion.

•••
•••
One of the reasons I started this thread was to learn missteps I may have made, so I'd definitely be interested in learning which of my responses came across as implied threats, in your opinion.

"So we've had quite a bit of interest in/offers for the name (in addition to our own endeavors)"

I immediately, as they would, call bullshit on the "own endeavors" and its an implied threat to say that competitors have expressed interest (even if true) especially if it's a brand related name.

And it needs to be a decent name to really justify a mid X,XXX appraisal unless it's "brand" related. From their point of view (assuming they are not a domainer - I don't think they are) anything over $10 *is* extortion because, as I said, your endeavors are presumably bullshit. Why would you have a landing page with contact info and be willing to sell a name for mid X,XXX if you have "plans".

Development plans is, in general, one of the lamest domainer arguments there is to try to build artificial demand/value = extortion to a buyer.

•••
Thanks for taking the time to clarify further @DU.

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you operate more along the lines of @DomainVP's "Too much attention and talk going on." Whereby, a better approach is to offer no explanation, no fluff (perceived or otherwise), just a price, and they can "do or do not"?

Also, would you mind sharing how you would proceed at this point in the conversation?

Appreciated!

Last edited:
•••
99.9% of the time someone asking to buy your domain, the negotiations are going nowhere. My first response to a 1 line inquiry recently has been a 1 line reply, "what is your budget". Usually it elicits a $xx response or some complaints about not providing a price. But just this week, I got a reply of $1k. Well, I thought, he is at least being a little realistic, even if I wasn't going to sell for that. So I quoted $2.4k, and the deal was transacted and paid within 5 days. So maybe I could have asked more. But I don't worry about such things. It was a great start to the new year ;) The other 0.01% we thrive on :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back