Domain Empire

Marchex

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ecalc may be short of explanations, but this is really an interesting story:
By now, you may be curious about what Marchex does. The company owns a few contextual pay-per-click marketing outfits, including IndustryBrains and Enhance Interactive. However, the part of Marchex that appeals to me most is the direct-navigation business.

Even though direct navigation made up just a third of the company's revenues, that part of the company's business has the most potential. Of the roughly 200,000 domain names Marchex owns, 74,000 happen to be ZIP code-dot-com (and in some cases dot-net) domains that cover 96% of the country's five-digit postal codes. There's not a whole lot of content there, but if you click on, say, 90210.com, you will be treated to basic information and a ton of ads from Yahoo! (Nasdaq: YHOO - News). Every interested click on a Yahoo! sponsor's text ad results in Marchex receiving the lion's share of the ad revenue.

•••
•••
Anthony said:
Of the roughly 200,000 domain names Marchex owns, 74,000 happen to be ZIP code-dot-com
wow when will i possibly reach that kind of a status? i'll keep on dreaming, im a dreamer you know. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back