Dynadot

debate .markets takes domain names back!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
I registered 8.markets on the 17th, today they took it back.

Before I reged this domain I did a Whois check to make sure it was not reserved and checked several places to make sure it was available. It had me listed in Whois until today and I had the domain forwarding to my domain site since the 17th..

I know they have the right to do want they want but why not just admit to your mistake like .club did with credit.club. Instead they claim it was an error in their system. ;)

IMO they took it back and will hold out for a higher renewal fee than what I reged it for! :(

Attachments

• 8markets.GIF
    8markets.GIF
    26.4 KB · Views: 42
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I know they have the right to do want they want

they have the right to do what they want? .. can a registry get a domain back just because *they* have made an error somewhere? (as long as the domain was free to begin with)

in the past, 101domain did something similar where they let go of premium domains for a normal regfee but at least they asked for the premium fees before demanding the domains back (not that I agree with that too but that's another story)

•••
This was at 101domain but I read the reply from .markets saying we had an error and basically we can do what we want to do and at any time. The end. -_-

•••
Hello,

Not very professional. The registries and registrars should need better standards, or simply accept the consequences when they screw up.

•••
Nothing short of pathetic. I hope Karma acts quickly.

•••
•••
I wouldn't think the registries have free reign to go and do whatever they want. If they want to be associated with ICANN then it's required that they follow ICANN rules and policy. I would file a complaint with them about it, although I don't really know what you can expect in return from them. That's pretty bad, on both 101domain and the MARKETS registry. They make the mistake, it's only right they deal with it and fix what needs to be fixed so it doesn't happen again.

•••
Looks like they also took E.markets from someone else. I'm going to have to research this further but what really gets me is that I've been using this domain for a couple days and they just shut me down today. Come on!

Here's what was said in detail:

19 Jun 2015 14:30 UTC
Greetings,

We have been informed by the .MARKETS registry that name 8.MARKETS must be cancelled and deleted due to an error on their part. We will be cancelling and refunding you in full.

Below is the message from the registry:

Please be advised that we have observed your registration of the following domain name 8.MARKETS. Due to a temporary technical error in the Registry system, it was operationally possible to register this domain. However, the sections outlined in our RRA Which address situations like these are stated below.

• Section 7 – RRA:

We reserve the right at our sole discretion to deny, cancel or transfer any registration or transaction, or place any domain name(s) on registry lock, hold or similar status, that we deem necessary in order:

(vi) to correct mistakes made by us or any Registrar in connection with a domain name registration.

• General Domain Name Registration Policy

2.6.4. until notified to the contrary, must contain at least 3 characters, and not exceed 63 characters excluding the TLD extension;

We remind you that in section 3.3 Compliance with Registry Policies. of your Registry/Registrar Agreement with BostonIvy, you commit to " In addition to complying with ICANN standards, policies, procedures and practices You shall comply with each of the Registry Policies as published on the Registry Website from time to time.” As a result, we will be reverting the state of the domains E.MARKETS AND 8.MARKETS back to a reserved and unassigned state and not invoicing you for these registrations.

We apologize for the inconvenience, however this is out of our control.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Best Regards,
Domain Support

•••
Also not sure why they even bring up 3 characters when 101domain clearly states this for .markets and still does.

Domain Names must:
  • have minimum of 1 and a maximum of 63 characters;
  • begin with a letter or a number and end with a letter or a number;
  • use the English character set and may contain letters (i.e., a-z, A-Z),numbers (i.e. 0-9) and dashes (-) or a combination of these;
  • neither begin with, norcpr144449003101end with a dash;
  • not contain a dash in the third and fourth positions (e.g. www.ab- -cd.market); and
  • not include a space (e.g. www.ab cd.market).

•••
Most if not all new extensions are only 3 - 63 characters long but I would hazard a guess they
(1 & 2 characters) would be available eventually unless icann will not allow it, if they do those will be for the big boys with deep pockets. You could always try doing the same names in puni code?

I just checked and .market is 2 character minimum and are all premium domains.
Example x2.market
I hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
•••
Most if not all new extensions are only 3 - 63 characters long but I would hazard a guess they
(1 & 2 characters) would be available eventually unless icann will not allow it, if they do those will be for the big boys with deep pockets. You could always try doing the same names in puni code?

I just checked and .market is 2 character minimum and are all premium domains.
Example x2.market
I hope this helps a little.

I have reged many 1 letter gTLDs, that's not what's going on here IMO. Unless ICANN made them hold out 8.markets, which there is no proof it's pretty cut and dry. They clearly stated it was an error in their system although I've had this domain, in total control for over 48 hours. What error too?

I'd say the error was internal and they forgot to make it premium. Oh but they caught that days later.

This is merely a warning that .market will pull your registered domains, claim error when they mess up when they leave it off the premium list. Sure x2.market might be premium but that's not really the point. The fact is, it's not a system error but rather we forgot to put 8.markets on the premium list therefore let's just take the dang thing back from mad409 and he can't do a thing about it.

We will list it later, or sell it in house for much more to an end user!

Sure I only had this domain for a couple days and with full control through 101domains but think if it would have been a few weeks and I would have had a site built out on it. I was currently using it for a redirect to an active site when it was pulled.

Not good my friends, not good. Just a warning on .market, take it for what it's worth.

.club is an example of missing premium names with credit.club, they didn't snatch and grab like ..market.. >:(

.club could have said error too but didn't. :oops:

Last edited:
•••
Yep small print on most stuff today simply means you own nothing and can't come after the company if they rip you off. Sad and bad business honesty "IS" the best policy.

•••
Yep small print on most stuff today simply means you own nothing and can't come after the company if they rip you off. Sad and bad business honesty "IS" the best policy.

I think a respectable company would have been like .club and just said we messed up but again .markets didn't and cried error.

I will not reg anything with this company, too trigger happy IMO.

Not trying to be a broken record but beware IMO.

•••
I understand your frustration you had a sure winner in that extension and feel robbed. I would too. Anyone would. Maybe Icann would rule that error in your favour??? Especially since it is a new extension and they have done it to others too....

•••
I understand your frustration you had a sure winner in that extension and feel robbed. I would too. Anyone would. Maybe Icann would rule that error in your favour??? Especially since it is a new extension and they have done it to others too....

I'll have to look into that when I have time but I'm pretty sure they have all bases covered right and wrong.

•••
•••
I received an email today (from my registrar) stating my ".markets" domains were being taken away. Five domains are being removed from my account. This is very upsetting. I will post an update when I get more information. @mad409 feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
•••
I received an email today (from my registrar) stating my ".markets" domains were being taken away. Five domains are being removed from my account. This is very upsetting. I will post an update when I get more information. @mad409 feel free to PM me.

Did you have total control of the 5 .markets and then they were taken away? I was using mine during the grab, wondered if you had full access too? Ty.

•••
-wrong thread-

Last edited:
•••
I've done a bit of reading pertaining to .markets reply for taking 8.markets domain away along with other people's domain names.

"(vi) to correct mistakes made by us or any Registrar in connection with a domain name registration."

The above means although you may have control of a domain for days, weeks, years if they decide there was a mistake they can take it from you.

"2.6.4. until notified to the contrary, must contain at
least 3 characters, and not exceed 63 characters excluding the TLD extension;"

The above seems to be a bit outdated as they are offer 1 L & N .markets for sale and many have been reged.

"Due to a temporary technical error in the Registry system, it was operationally possible to register this domain."

Must not have been temporary as I'm not the only person that this has happen to. .markets IMO should explain what would cause this, if not they can just say error for what ever domain they want to grab back after being registered and active.

Info links: http://nic.markets/home/policies/

Don't like what they have done to me and others, let them know here: http://nic.markets/contact/

If you don't speak up, these type of domain captures will get worse moving forward and especially with all the new extensions being released. I will also point out if you reg one of these at 101domain you will only agree to the Whois policy and all this other stuff is on the .markets Website.

Last edited:
•••
If their stated policy was 3 to 63 at the time of registration, then yes, it was a mistake and either you didn't read the policy or you intentionally tried to register one that was against policy.

As far as them selling shorter than 3 themselves, I don't like that at all, but I don't like premium priced names from the registry regardless of the price.

The 3 to 63 rule seems like it may have been intended for 3rd parties (you) registering a domain rather than themselves doing so. And they had a bug in their code that was suppose to enforce it only for 3rd parties.

But if they said 3 to 63 in their policy before you registered then you don't have a valid complaint IMHO. You should be refunded though.

•••
The whole new extension program was botched, and it is a shame that 'mistakes' like these continue to occur.
And I am pretty sure that some extensions will not live very long. The registries will eventually pull the plug on the unprofitable strings, or resort to premium pricing nonsense. Mark my words.

You should look at it with the eyes of beta tester trying out a new, buggy software. Think of Bill Gates doing a demo of windows98 :)

•••
Are the single character domains even worth anything right now?
I know they used to be... but there seems to have been a pull back of sorts away from single letter domains.

With that, I would have thought that a company would have just swallowed a loss if they there is value in this domain. How much of a loss could it possibly be?

Cheers

•••
IMHO single are worth something when the TLD is also short. For .markets it would only be worth something if the single letter matched a brand name, Circle K or K-Mart might want k.markets though I doubt it, but those kind of things.

•••
IMHO single are worth something when the TLD is also short. For .markets it would only be worth something if the single letter matched a brand name, Circle K or K-Mart might want k.markets though I doubt it, but those kind of things.

Define a short TLD?
7 is not horrible but its not a 2 letter ccTLD.

I would like to think they held value but I think its been tinged by the registries holding them for premium prices with premium renewals.
Most people can not see past that now because its just damn hard to find one that does not have a premium price/renewal attached to it.

Just a thought.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back