IT.COM

Mike Mann’s Latest Domain Acquisitions & Sales

Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Here is a look at some of Mike Mann’s domain acquisitions and sales from the last month or so. Mike Mann is the owner of DomainMarket.com that offers more than 250,000 premium domain names for sale.

Domain name purchases:

Facetimer.com $8
TwitterNames.com $70
EyePhone.com $1,000

Domain name sales:

MagicLens.com $19,000 (purchased for $166)
ProtectYourMind.com $2,000 (purchased for $7.50)
HelpSomeone.com $4,000 (purchased for $350)
GoodbyeFat.com $4,000 (purchased for $80)
RockinOn.com $9,888 (purchased for $7.50)
SalonTime.com $8,500 (purchased for $200)
EqualityHealth.com $30,000 (purchased for for $200)
ExecutiveAdvertising.com $25,000 (purchased for $1,800)

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just bought "twittertweets.org" and "applebeatsmicrosoft.net" since Azwan told me that these types of names can't be taken and I can't be sued.

Thanks, Azwan!

•••
I just had a look at DomainMarket.com's inventory. Looks like Mike Mann is cybersquatting on the brand of every big company out there. Most are listed with a $XX,XXX BIN price. Here are a few examples from his portfolio:

googlemicrosoft.com
googleappsdeveloper.com
googlegeneration.com
googleplustools.com
twitterbird.com
twitterland.com
twitterfollowing.com
twitterday.com
facebookforever.com
microsofttech.com
microsoftinstaller.com
ibmemployees.com
microsoftsystems.com
samsungzone.com
youtubecommunity.com
wordpresswebdesigners.com
iphoneheaven.com
iphonecompany.com
iphonepublisher.com
iphonefest.com
ipadgallery.com
sonybluray.com

•••
I just had a look at DomainMarket.com's inventory. Looks like Mike Mann is cybersquatting on the brand of every big company out there. Most are listed with a $XX,XXX BIN price. Here are a few examples from his portfolio:

googlemicrosoft.com
googleappsdeveloper.com
googlegeneration.com
googleplustools.com
twitterbird.com
twitterland.com
twitterfollowing.com
twitterday.com
facebookforever.com
microsofttech.com
microsoftinstaller.com
ibmemployees.com
microsoftsystems.com
samsungzone.com
youtubecommunity.com
iphoneheaven.com
iphonecompany.com
iphonepublisher.com
iphonefest.com
ipadgallery.com
sonybluray.com
It's people like Mike Mann that give us domainers a bad name. Domainsquatter.

•••
I guess his domain-acquiring robots are still at Newbie Domainer levels of intelligence

•••
I guess his domain-acquiring robots are still at Newbie Domainer levels of intelligence
A couple of hours with a list of big company names, and he could easily have removed all the “big brand” infringements from his portfolio. HugeDomains and BuyDomains are nearly scrubbed for obvious TM infringing names like these.

Mike Mann has owned most of these domains for years (he has owned twitterland.com since 2007, googlemicrosoft.com since 2010, etc.), indicating that he is deliberately cybersquatting, and trying to profit from the trademarks of big companies.

•••
•••
Thats why a lot of people dont like Mike Mann..personally I think the guy is an idiot..your reputation is everything in this business..a little integrity and professionalism goes a long way.

•••

googlemicrosoft.com
googleappsdeveloper.com
googlegeneration.com
googleplustools.com
twitterbird.com
twitterland.com
twitterfollowing.com
twitterday.com
facebookforever.com
microsofttech.com
microsoftinstaller.com
ibmemployees.com
microsoftsystems.com
samsungzone.com
youtubecommunity.com
iphoneheaven.com
iphonecompany.com
iphonepublisher.com
iphonefest.com
ipadgallery.com
sonybluray.com

This is a bad list to own for a person at that position.

•••
Regarding TM domains, I read somewhere Google allowed to use its TM domain because in this particular case it benefited them.

•••
Regarding TM domains, I read somewhere Google allowed to use its TM domain because in this particular case it benefited them.

Yes you are right. I've heard too that they allowed us for some reason, as long the site doesnt affects them. I thought your site must not be focused into profit element, should be benefits to users and the company. Its a similar stories we are allowed to use acronym like WP, FB etc. .

But when it comes to a SENSITIVE company like microsoft, apple etc I dont know.

•••
Best example is Twitter tool sites they crop up all the time.

•••
Yes you are right. I've heard too that they allowed us for some reason, as long the site doesnt affects them. I thought your site must not be focused into profit element, should be benefits to users and the company. Its a similar stories we are allowed to use acronym like WP, FB etc. .

But when it comes to a SENSITIVE company like microsoft, apple etc I dont know.
Twitter is strict too. Check UDRP cases. A company can file a lawsuit too to claim damages.

Best example is Twitter tool sites they crop up all the time.

What Twitter tool site?

•••
Twitter Brand Policy:
  • Don’t use Twitter in the name of your website, application or product.
  • Don’t register a domain containing “twitter”, misspellings, transliterations or similar variations thereof.

•••
I have registered hipapple.com
In my opinion the name is a combination of two generic words! :xf.grin:

Will see... there are tons & tons of trademarks with "apple": http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=apple :P

Dear @dotbay, you have given me a "dislike", now I give you my reason for the domain name hipapple.com:

Can I Trademark Common Words?

To put it simply, common words and phrases can be trademarked in a number of cases. But there is a definitive line that separates how and when a common word can and cannot be trademarked.

One example that I like to give to clients is that of Apple Inc., the famous computer and software manufacturer. The word “apple” is a very common word, and yet Apple Inc. had no problem trademarking the term “APPLE” for computers and computer programs. Nor did Apple Rubber Products, John Middleton Co., and Scholastic, Inc. All of those companies, and many others, own trademark rights to the single word “APPLE”.

Why was this allowed? Because the word “apple” is an arbitrary word when used in connection with the manufacture and sale of computers and computer programs, tobacco products, or educational materials. That is, there is nothing about these products that relates to “apples”. Accordingly, the term “APPLE” is actually a pretty strong trademark, as is the case when you apply a completely arbitrary term (however common it may be) to promote your products or services.

The case would be much different if someone wanted to get a trademark on the word “APPLE” in connection with the sale of apples (the fruit). In that case, the name “APPLE” would simply be a generic term for the type of goods being provided, namely, apples. Because of this, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) would never issue a federal trademark registration for the term “APPLE” if the only products being provided were fruit products.

The example of “APPLE” also illustrates an important point when trademarking a common word or phrase. Just because Apple Inc. has trademarked “APPLE” does not mean that they own the word in all instances. How could they, if Scholastic, Inc. and John Middleton Co., among many others, have also trademarked “APPLE”?

Trademark is not about owning a word or phrase. It is about providing companies with distinctiveness and preventing consumer confusion in the marketplace. If another company producing computers or computer programs called itself Apple Hardware or Apple Electronics, then Apple Inc. could sue them for trademark infringement. But if Honda wanted to create a car called the Honda Apple, then Apple Inc. would have a very hard time getting them to stop. And that’s because there’s little to no chance that consumers would confuse Honda’s car with Apple’s computer products.

From: https://secureyourtrademark.com/can-you-trademark/trademark-a-generic-word/

•••
•••
How he sell? inbound? outbound?Any idea?
I believe one of the ways they market is remarketing, so if someone visits the domain name the person will later see an ad for the domain name.

•••
•••
Seems happy to flirt with trademarks

•••
Maybe he is just bored and wants a few headlines ??

•••
It's funny, everyone is only talking about the TM names and not the fact that many times Mann buys names for nothing and sells them for Thousands.

^For me that is the real story here ;)

•••
It's funny, everyone is only talking about the TM names and not the fact that many times Mann buys names for nothing and sells them for Thousands.

^For me that is the real story here ;)
Is everything just about money?

•••
It's people like Mike Mann that give us domainers a bad name. Domainsquatter.
The only bad thing you can possibly do is not making money. ... The rest is history...

•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back