IT.COM

Moniker issues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Is everyone having problems renewing and registering at Moniker? It's been hours and I still cannot renew my domains.

I sent a support ticket but it may take a while to get a solution...

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Now I cannot even login...

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

I finally got a reply that they are aware and trying to solve this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yup, been happening quite frequently lately. I had the problem a few weeks ago and there's reports of it here and on another forum. IMHO they're going downhill and I'm jumping ship. 2 domains left and they're getting moved out this weekend.

•••
I also faced that previous problem...

Update: hours later it's still impossible to renew domains. They fixed the login problem but registry operations still seem to have problems.

Last edited:
•••
Remember a couple of things:

1) Moniker chose to associate itself with Snapnames, even though Snapnames is an admitted auction cheater.

2) If I'm not mistaken, Monte Cahn founded Moniker. Strike two.

Based on the testimony in this thread, you'd be silly to give Moniker one more dollar.

•••
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBpt1dya60"]Billy Joel - Movin' Out (Anthony's Song) - YouTube[/ame]

•••
One day later I'm still unable to renew my domains. I gave them the list so that they could renew them manually, nothing was done.
I stressed until almost 2 AM, nothing.

Update: Moniker's homepage isn't loading...

Exactly, one day later I'm still unable to renew my domains. I gave them the list so that they could renew them manually, nothing was done.
I stressed until almost 2 AM, nothing.

Trying to sell a domain that isn't theirs yet? They move domains to the Pending Registrar Delete a lot sooner now, but WE still own the domains and have the right to renew them. At Godaddy you can even transfer them without issues and people complain about Godaddy? Moniker is where I get 99% of my headaches.

Update: Right now I cannot even load Moniker's homepage. I hope it is because they are working on these problems, but I'm so disappointed I no longer know.

Update 2: After a long downtime their website is again up. Logged in, tried to renew, no success. I got logged out automatically, tried to login, nothing... tried 4 more times, I managed to enter but no renewals yet. I give up, Moniker's system is broken for too long for a top registrar.

Last edited:
•••
Is anyone having similar problems with SnapNames? I am.

•••
Is anyone having similar problems with SnapNames? I am.

Yes, was just about to start a thread on this. Snapnames hasn't been loading for me all day.

•••
I wonder if this is a DDoS attack or something.... I just hope they get it fixed soon because there are a few names I was planning on pre-ordering at Snap tonight.

•••
Snapnames stopped working, couldn't backorder today's pending delete domains, but they delayed all existing auctions.

•••
Looks like snap is back up.

"A number of our customers have experienced difficulty reaching our website today and therefore were unable to bid.
In order to maintain auction integrity and to provide a fair and equitable bidding experience to our customers, we have extended the end date of these auctions by 24 hours to 1/28/2013 12:15PM PT."

EDIT: Front page loads but I can't login.

•••
"... In order to maintain auction integrity and to provide a fair and equitable bidding experience to our customers,..."

That's the biggest joke I've heard in a long time. "In order to maintain auction integrity ...." Haha! Straight out of the mouth of the largest admitted domain auction fraudster in domain history. They blamed it on one lone employee, haha, but no one ever went to jail. It's called stealing.

•••
I just got my Weekly Report of Expiring Domains from Moniker. Having read the discussion here I thought it might be interesting to click the links to list and renew my domains. The "Renew now" 404's :) So does "View List and Renew".

Only one left there and I will let it expire.

•••
Good idea to take those 99 cent Go daddy domain transfer coupons and move all your renewable Moniker domains with Go daddy....

•••
Yup, both Moniker and Snapnames are down. Nothing on their facebook page since Thursday, either.

Just another (big) technical problem to go with the other problems they've been having lately. Really can't wait to get my last two domains out of there.

•••
The only reason I have a handful of domains at Moniker is because I won them at SnapNames. I always transfer out as soon as possible. Never wait for them to expire.

•••
It may be time to move the handful of domains I have at Moniker elsewhere. How can I rely on a company with technical issues like this? If the site is still down tomorrow I will have to make my customers wait which sends the message that I deal with second-rate registrars.

The other day I paid a $125 redemption fee to recover an expired domain of mine. I think GoDaddy charges maybe $80 or something, last I saw. Normally I wouldn't pay the fee but I have a buyer interested so I pulled out the wallet this time. $125 (+ $10 renewal!) is pretty ridiculous though considering I could wait a few weeks and backorder it at Snapnames for $59. And here I thought GoDaddy's price was a rip-off!

EDIT: Moniker seems to be back up now (for now?).

Last edited:
•••
Yes, it's working now. I don't want to believe that it's because it's Monday and that the problem wasn't taken care sooner by coincidence.

I was always in contact with Samantha and Marti, they did her best to help me.

Last edited:
•••
Also can't buy or renew domains at Moniker. It says cart empty, then if I get stuff in the cart it won't take payment and empties the cart and says there is a duplicate cart entry, see pending items but there are no pending items. Totally screwed up.

So don't put a lot of stuff in the cart at once if it will all get erased.

But I can't even renew one domain. How can it be safe to have domains with a registrar where you can't be sure of renewing them?

•••
Well 12 hours after raising a support ticket, which they did not acknowledge, they sent me an email asking for a screenshot. Wasn't my description clear enough? I want to put an item in the basket and pay for it but checkout always empties the basket. So I cannot renew a domain.

Not a new prob, as this thread shows - they should have fixed it and know how to fix it now. And their support can' t spell.

Meantime I found a better and cheaper place to register the new domain I wanted. So I won't be registering any new domains at Moniiker and my others will leave. Great job preventing sales Moniker!

•••
So today finally they sent me another nonsense email saying I should empty the shopping cart and try again, missing the point that the shopping cart empties itself when you try to pay.

If you put something in the cart and you try to pay via Paypal, all goes well at Paypal, and you click there to confirm payment, and then you get returned to Moniker and get this message:

Duplicate Checkout Error

*Duplicate Checkout Request Detected.Please see status center for your order *

The order does not appear in the status center page. And the shopping cart is now empty.

Seems Moniker can't or won't fix this and are just playing for time.

I am actually trying to renew a domain that I bought at auction and developed. If Moniker make it impossible to renew my domain, what compensation should I expect from them for the lost domain?

•••
Why don't you transfer away then?

•••
Why don't you transfer away then?
Because the name had expired - I think Moniker used to let you transfer after expiry but they won't when I tried this year.

After a string of nonsense emails from Moniker telling me to empty the already empty cart, close and re-open browser, update Java , buy $50.00 at least of credit, and so on - all blaming me and pretending Moniker does not have a problem - I found that credit card payment worked. In case you are wondering, Paypal is working fine for me on other sites, just not Moniker.

So maybe Moniker is another scary company that Paypal have banned, or maybe Moniker just screwed up their own site and can't even see that they've done it, let alone fix it. Or they can't afford to fix it.

Won't be keeping any names there, I'd advise everyone else to leave too.

•••
Moved all my transferable names out. Their escrow is also a joke. have a running saga with them. Gone completely downhill since Monte sold the company.

•••
It's been sold twice since Monte left. I think he would be shuddering at all these antics.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back