domains Most Chinese Investors Are Beginners

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Back in my day (
icon_smile.gif
), beginners didn’t have the money or didn’t want to spend the money it takes to buy a solid one word or two-word dot com. Instead, they hand registered a lot of longer dot coms or two keyword dot net/org/biz/info/etc. domains. Those domains seem far more exciting because if all you’re investing is the registration fee, you fall into the trap of making calculations about the huge returns you’ll generate once you sell for a profit. Of course, that frequently doesn’t happen
The same thing is happening when it comes to short domains. Instead of investing in a LLL dot com or in a LLLL dot com, lots of Chinese newbies prefer speculating on for example LLLLs in exotic TLDs, especially if the registration fee is low. The main problem, of course, is that when renewal time comes, things can get tricky. But most beginners don’t like thinking about renewal time because they think they’ll find some way to generate profits by then...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess this does kinda make sense as to why domain sales boomed and lots domains with absolutely no apparent value from a domainers perspective still fetched some stupidly high prices.

•••
I guess this does kinda make sense as to why domain sales boomed and lots domains with absolutely no apparent value from a domainers perspective still fetched some stupidly high prices.

YAHOOOOO!!!!

and they are going for

2L,3L even 4L and 5L + VR and reverse .coms

I think many are expecting a "spill over" to 5L.com's and VR niche. it's pretty calculated if you ask me. or is it just stupid? most can't afford 4L.com's and are looking for good 5L and figure since the VR is in the domain a good chance for resale later.

what do you think?

•••
I've been invited in a few Chinese WeChat groups of 'domain investors', and indeed, most of the participants are really beginners.

•••
YAHOOOOO!!!!

and they are going for

2L,3L even 4L and 5L + VR and reverse .coms

I think many are expecting a "spill over" to 5L.com's and VR niche. it's pretty calculated if you ask me. or is it just stupid? most can't afford 4L.com's and are looking for good 5L and figure since the VR is in the domain a good chance for resale later.

what do you think?

Interesting point there dude.....you could very well be correct I think. Anything is possible

•••
I've been invited in a few Chinese WeChat groups of 'domain investors', and indeed, most of the participants are really beginners.

do tell? I have wechat. how does one search for these weChat groups for "domain investors"?

•••
There are many beginners on 4L.com also...

•••
I think chinese market is stabilizing so chinese domainers/comapanies now thinking and further buying.

•••
•••

Still waiting on that Chinese wechat groups and where and how to find them on wechat? Thanks. We'd all appreciate it. Thanks.

•••
The Chinese WeChat groups are where it's at, networking among the Chinese and snowballing through sales is great for business!

•••
This article does oversimplify the situation. Here are some other points...

• There were and are many experienced Chinese domain investors on the market. In fact, I know a few that I always go to for advice.
  • In China, the domain market is seem more like a real estate investment, where owning it is a bit more prestigious than quickly flipping it. We value flipping more than owning.
  • The CHIP saga was also fueled by Chinese companies trying to sell to individuals and smaller companies in China. Many Chinese domain investors thought it was finally time for a rise in China's web presence. However, this was complicated by the fact that Western users jumped into buying/selling mode, driving prices up.
  • The Chinese Web Development/End-User market is indeed overflowing with beginners, and many of them were willing to pay Chinese domain investors huge sums of money to get the name they wanted. To us in the west, it seemed like a great opportunity that we were missing when these sales were made, but in reality, as more and more users became educated in the trade of domains, sales also dropped.
There are many things that went into the Chinese market. And there will be many more developments that will change it. Beginners in the market did have an effect. But to say that was the reason for the sales boom is a broad generalization.

•••
frequently I have seen chinese selling bulk lots of 4l.com at buy now prices
below actual market floor price
though they could have easily gotten a bit more at that time
which finally lead to lower prices
and drove the market further down

•••
A large heard of Chinese sheep went into the wrong field and lost some of there wool, they split up now and journey into other fields hoping for better pastures.

Lesson: Don't follow Sheep if you don't want to be Fleeced !

•••
•••
The Chinese WeChat groups are where it's at, networking among the Chinese and snowballing through sales is great for business!

Care to elaborate step by step how to find these wechat Chinese groups?:rolleyes:;):lookaround:

•••
@Avatar did you get info on how to locate and join domain groups on wechat?

•••
Care to elaborate step by step how to find these wechat Chinese groups?:rolleyes:;):lookaround:
Did u get info on locating and joining domain groups on wechat

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back