IT.COM

new gtlds Move Over .XYZ - Google Buys Alphabet.hockey

Spaceship
Watch
Google may be using abc.xyz for their new Alphabet company, but that hasn't stopped them moving into other new TLDs.

On Wednesday of this week, Google acquired alphabet.hockey.

How many other alphabet.tld domains can Google acquire before making a bid for alphabet.com?!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How many .hockey names have you guys registered since the announcement? :p

•••
•••
it seems google sponsors and recieve comisions on each new sold extention reg.
what will be the next?
wich extention is the most awfull and need google help?

•••
They are just protecting abc.xyz and alphabet. I read the other day where they had purchased over 70+ domains for ABC alone.

•••
if they want protect ALPHABET and had it in all extention, why they didnt shut up and kept the ALPHABET idea meantime buying all ALPHABET without telling to every internet that GOOGLE will need this word?

•••
This is interesting, because it makes no sense for them to purchase this domain name.

What we know:

They give MarkMonitor a budget to protect their brands, and in the past, that has meant purchasing relevant domains when the price made sense: the ccTLDs of their brands, typographical errors, etc.

My theory:

With all the new gTLDs, MarkMonitor is clueless and still applying this outdated strategy of brand protection to them, resulting in this senseless purchase.

•••
How many .hockey names have you guys registered since the announcement? :P
None, googles got the entire Alphabet, not a single letter left :(

•••
The sad thing is now every one is going to run out and spend their money on .hockey thinking it's going to bring them a ROI.

There are multiple threads predicting that .xyz is the .com killer due to Google's first reg which is an absolute joke. People are so easily influenced these days by social media to a point that common sense is trumped by trend.

Abc,mx just sold for $17,700 on Sedo.

Last edited:
•••
I am getting offers on LearningABC.xyz and Designs.xyz.........both are newly registered..

•••
Nothing to worry about either way really. I mean googles got a fortune to spend sure they can own the .com at anytime they want.

•••
•••
This is interesting, because it makes no sense for them to purchase this domain name.

What we know:

They give MarkMonitor a budget to protect their brands, and in the past, that has meant purchasing relevant domains when the price made sense: the ccTLDs of their brands, typographical errors, etc.

My theory:

With all the new gTLDs, MarkMonitor is clueless and still applying this outdated strategy of brand protection to them, resulting in this senseless purchase.
Sorry to go off topic a bit but I've been recently running into a couple of companies I'm working some domain deals with that i noticed have Mark Monitor listed as the register on a lot of there domains.

I tried doing a bit more research into what Mark Moniter does but it was vague.

What do companies actually use or pay mark moniter for? Does mark moniter simply register domains that haven't been registered yet or ones that have been deleted? Or other top extensions? Or do they actually go and make inquiries for these companies to domain owners whome own a domain to protect the companies brand?

I ask because I noticed (One of these companies I'm in contact with) had a .com of a new domain they are marketing with, (it's non trade marked term) but it's regg'd at mark monitor. I noticed however they didn't have the .net or .org registered. So what is mark moniter actually providing for these big companies?

•••
Does mark moniter simply register domains that haven't been registered yet or ones that have been deleted? Or other top extensions? Or do they actually go and make inquiries for these companies to domain owners whome own a domain to protect the companies brand?
All of the above. Their job is to protect their clients' domains and brands on the Internet.

I've sold a domain for six figures to Corporation Service Company (a competitor of MarkMonitor) acting on behalf of one of their largest clients, but it was impossible for me to know that until after the sale completed. They used an obscure email address. In that way, they act as brokers for their clients, as well.

•••
They used an obscure email address. In that way, they act as brokers for their clients, as well.

I looked through my records. The obscure email address had the format: LAST_NAME @authsome.com but they have since let it expire, presumably to register a new domain that no one knows about. Someone else registered authsome.com in March 2014.

I also found a thread of a member being contacted by them to purchase About.tel: view thread.

If @Kvanberlo had known that a company like CSC Corporate Domains was buying that domain on behalf of their client About.com (The About Group), the sale price might have been higher. :)

•••
•••
You know you are going to start a .hockey craze now :)

•••
play.hockey.....will be rocking....

•••
Alpabets consists of vowels and consonants. Anyone tried to book these

Both of them are avaiable. Didn't anyone deliver this idea to google

•••
dont know what he want to do with type of domain.

•••
designs.xyz and learningABC.xyz

•••
I seriously hope noone goes and registers a .hockey name D-:

The only name I can a little potential in is maybe Ice.Hockey...but that's about it

•••
•••
I seriously hope noone goes and registers a .hockey name D-:

The only name I can a little potential in is maybe Ice.Hockey...but that's about it

lol

•••
I think .hockey is not more popular like .XYZ. .xyz is more useful new TLD.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back