Domain Empire

.MU registry Stole 2 of my domains (Corruption)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AlasdairF

Established Member
Impact
I had i.mu & m.mu with registrar Netim. Today they expired.

I paid for the renewal 2 weeks before expiry, but the domains were not renewed. Apparently they are under renewal lock, for no obvious reason. I have other mu single-character domains that were not targeted, so it's these domains that are being targeted and not my account. I received no information from MU registry or Netim about there being any issue or any supposed violation.

MU registry is ignoring all my messages and Netim claims they also have gotten no response.

Netim is not accepting any responsibility.

IANA & ICANN claim no responsibility:
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) do not accredit registrars or set registration policies for country code top-level domains (ccTLDs), such as .MU. While policy for global top-level domains such as .com and .info is managed through ICANN's global policy framework, policy for ccTLDs is based on the principle of subsidiarity. Managers are appointed within the country, under local laws, in conjunction with significantly interested parties and local government. Neither ICANN nor IANA have any power to be involved in how these operations are conducted.

So apparently registries can steal domains now. .KZ registry did the same to me last year, and looks like it might be happening again there too.

I'm sick of the corruption in this industry.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I blame IANA. Of course this will happen if there are no consequences.

•••
Are you sure you haven't broken some registry rules?

for example, in the case of .kz, the registry requires the domains to use servers in Kazakhstan. Did you follow that rule? because, if you didn't, that might be the reason why you lost the domain back then.

Something similar might have happened now as well. Not getting an answer from the registry does not necessarily mean that the registry is at fault.

Note that I'm not suggesting you are at fault. I'm only trying to give you another view on the issue. Uncommon extensions also have uncommon rules.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back