Dynadot

Name initials violating anything?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey,

I dont wanna bore you with too much info, but basically...

Nearly every .ext of this particular name has been taken, minus the .net version.

It is not a company, more of a society that owns nearly all of the addresses.

The thing is, my full name has 4 names in it - and I wanted the initials as xxxx.net

But would there be a problem, or do I have legitimate reasons to own the domain? After all, it is my initials.

Hope somebody can shed some answers onto this, which I have been weighing up for some time now.

Thanks people!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would think that it would be extremely easy to prove that these are your initials. As long as this is the case you should be able to retain ownership of the domain IMO. The only drawback would be that you could not use the name for anything related to the company that bears the same name as you. There is a famous case involving the nissan name which is discussed in the thread below:-

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17029&highlight=nissan

•••
Very interesting link there, and thanks alot for your opinion. I can prove my initials, so you think if I did that to them I have a valid reason to have the domain?

All that would be on it is a personal site... nothing remotely similar to what they do.

•••
There should be no problem IMO - I wouldn't even ask them - it is up to them to prove that you have registeres it to degrade their product/service etc and how can they do that if it is your initials. You have the legal right to your name in fact you have just put an idea into my head - my own name is four initials as well and the .com version is obviously cybersquatting my legal name :lol:- they have a sign up asking for 3,250 - hmm, I think I'll send a copy of my birth certificate to UDRP and ask for it back :lol:

•••
lol...

Well thanks alot for your input bensontwenty... I feel more confident about it now.

If anybody else has any thoughts or cases that are similar it would be great to hear from you.

•••
I can not see you getting into trouble as it is a personal site and you have an excellent reason for wanting to use the domain.

Most of the legal cases seem to be about words and names, not just initials .... We see a lot of 3 letter domains being traded, I am sure that most of those combinations could be associated with some business, but can't remember hearing about someone losing one.

Just my thoughts.

All the best

Richard

•••
Agreed with the previous posters. You have a legitimate right to the domain already since those are your legal initials. The ONLY way I can see you running into trouble is if you misuse the domain and try to compete with the other guys.

So no worries, go for it.

•••
Thanks guys!

I will go ahead and register the domain name, I will probably get some traffic thats intended for the actual official site, but as long as I do not compete I am fine?

Whereas if I had it pointed to SEDO and earnt commission, would I be doing anything wrong? Just wondering what I can and cant do.

Thanks!

•••
As long as you don't demonstrate 'bad faith' you'll be fine. 'Bad Faith' is things like confusing visitors that you're associated with or endorsed by a trademark holder, competing with a trademark holder, trying to sell the name to the trademark holder, etc

If SEDO starting showing PPC ads for their competitors, that might not be good, but regardless I think you would still be able to defend the name in a dispute would it to occur.

•••
In that case, I will probably register it. Am deciding now between two domains, this and another, which will become my new personal site where I wont be tempted to sell the domain - hopefully because nobody else will want it! :p

•••
Originally posted by bensontwenty
I would think that it would be extremely easy to prove that these are your initials. As long as this is the case you should be able to retain ownership of the domain IMO. The only drawback would be that you could not use the name for anything related to the company that bears the same name as you. There is a famous case involving the nissan name which is discussed in the thread below:-

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17029&highlight=nissan

i feel that uzi nissan should be able to use nissan.com since his company has been around longer than nissan motors

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back