NameSilo

advice Name with .com compromised, stick away from others?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I was seriously considering purchasing (hand reg,, low cost) a cc (my own country) and a new gTLD version of a domain name that I think might be well suited for travel sites. I realize the domains might not sell, but I would not be investing much. The same domain name in .com, .net, .org and .info are gone.

However, when I checked the .com website for the same name my web browser (Safari) warned me that the site might have malware did I want to visit it. I said no, of course.

The question - if the .com version of a domain name is compromised (potentially), should one stick away from other TLDs of the same domain name?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In fact, it's yes and no. If you intend to develop a local site, and promote it on local level, then there is almost no problem. But, if your site is for international visitors, then, first, you will lose potential visitors who are gonna access the .com version, and second, that malware message will create a bad reputation for your own site, as the visitors don't care about the extensions, they read mainly only what the keyword says.

•••
Thank you for advice. I had considered developing the site with the cc perhaps, but more likely I was only looking to buy and sell. Yes, it is the bad reputation that I worry about (I realize that .com confusion is an issue for all new gTLDs, and indeed cc as well). Thanks again.

•••
If you were going to use it for a developed site, then the above comments are relevant. However, you could use iut as a feeder site if the cost is low, but the malware may reduce the traffic, so it may not be viable.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back