IT.COM

question Need Advice ... promoteyourself.ca vs promote-yourself.ca

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all

In 2008 I filed for a trademark and I acquired the domain in a 2009 auction. I don't want to disclose the domain name but i will give you a similar example so you know where I am coming from.

Few days later after the auction closed I was contacted by a company claiming the had this domain before and they did not renew it and demanding of me to transfer it to them for free or else there would be consequences.

I brought up the situation to my trademark agent at that time and she advised me to ignore them. Couple days passed when I received another email from them asking me how much I wanted for it which I never replied to. My guess is they did a search and saw that I had filed a trademark almost a year before I got the domain.

The domain I acquired in the auction was for example promoteyourself.com
(I own.com/.net/.org/.biz/.info/mobi/.us/.ca)

This company then went and registered for example promote-yourself.ca in 2012

My Trademark has been abandoned since I didn't follow through due to some circumstances in life.

Do I have something legit here; if so I would appreciate any advice and how I should go about it.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Whats the question again?

•••
The company who previously owned the domain name "promoteyourself.com" have/had a real activity based on the name Promote Yourself?

IMO, in the presence of real activity, such as consulting, shop, industry, ecc, exists a trademark de facto. In this case the domain name composed of generic words can be used but not in the same sector.
The concept is to avoid troubles with distinctiveness!

Last edited:
•••
ppl tend to pay big buck for no hyphen version.
I think promote-yourself sometimes may be good for seo when google couldn't tell apart the two words.

Last edited:
•••
Whats the question again?
Hi ... my question is can that company use the same domain i have but with a hyphen in between words for the same domain extension which is .ca (i do own 8 extensions in total including .com)
I think "Bullock" has nailed!

Last edited:
•••
Also if I decide to sell them my domains with all 8 extensions as a package deal,how should I approach them? They have already approached me in 2009 right after I won the domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back