Dynadot

New.net question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Does anyone know about the new extention : .law ? Its owned by new.net. I know its not universally accessable yet.
Any info on it would be appreciated.

Matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Originally posted by Delete
You can register them at http://www.new.net/ They been out for a while i believe.

Right.
I wouldn't register them with a 10-foot Gorrilla, IMHO. :o
Not sanctioned by ICANN and require special browser "plug-in's" to even be viewed, in other words the masses out there cannot see anything there that is to be on the site without such an add-on. More information can be obtained from the site.
Best of Luck.

•••
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
Right.
I wouldn't register them with a 10-foot Gorrilla, IMHO. :o
Not sanctioned by ICANN and require special browser "plug-in's" to even be viewed, in other words the masses out there cannot see anything there that is to be on the site without such an add-on. More information can be obtained from the site.
Best of Luck.

Exactly. Any extension that needs plugins and etc. is not worth it. You will guaranteed not get much traffic through it as many will not be able to access it.

•••
my question is that what if icann authorizes the TLD but new.net isnt the org to handle it

then what happens to people with new.net domains.

i personally dont have one..nor plan to get!!!
i think waste of money.

•••
is it resaleable, my question is. any value?

•••
Originally posted by jane118
my question is that what if icann authorizes the TLD but new.net isnt the org to handle it

then what happens to people with new.net domains.

Then it's a big mess. It's happend before with the .biz extension. The unsanctioned domain holders lose out in the end. My advice is to avoid these names. They're not practical for actual use.

There's an excellent article on Alternate Domain Roots by Dan Tobias at

http://domains.dantobias.com/structure/altroots.html

•••
Don't all yell at me at once!

OK, here goes........
I registered a .law......It has SUCH a cool ring to it! Ready?: defend.law

It cost me 35 bucks though!
I happen to be on a ISP the can access .law and the other extentions new.net owns. There is a lawyer in Hawaii that owns: adoption.law, and its a full fledged website. Was thinking of asking her why she bought her domain. I was hoping ICANN would a accept these extentions someday soon. Oh would that be a domain if it was universal, eh?

•••
Originally posted by tron
OK, here goes........
I registered a .law......It has SUCH a cool ring to it! Ready?: defend.law

It cost me 35 bucks though!
I happen to be on a ISP the can access .law and the other extentions new.net owns. There is a lawyer in Hawaii that owns: adoption.law, and its a full fledged website. Was thinking of asking her why she bought her domain. I was hoping ICANN would a accept these extentions someday soon. Oh would that be a domain if it was universal, eh?

Unfortunately for new.net owners, if ICANN does decide to create a .law extension, it won't be anytime soon. They have long drawn out process that takes years for introducing new extensions, and if they did, they won't recognize the new.net registrations. Instead there would be a whole new pre-registration process.

•••
It just so happens I am currently doing an interview with New.Net CEO Dan Sheehy for Domain Name Journal. They do face all of the problems noted in this thread. They are actually making a profit these days but not from selling those crippled domains - it is coming from PPC revenues generated by something similiar to Verisign's Sitefinder that is employed only on New.net enabled browsers. It is very interesting how they fell into this new revenue stream that has saved the company. I don't see any resale value at all for their domains and they face an incredible uphill struggle to gain market acceptance. I don't think it will ever happen but I am giving Dan the opportunity to say why he thinks it will, then everyone can draw their own conclusions. We expect to have the article out Thanksgiving weekend.

•••
I dont think they have any resale value what-so-ever.

•••
It has been my understanding that the New.Net domain/urls are not able to get listed in the major search engines.. word of caution.. would require intense print & radio type marketing expense/efforts.

•••
Any ideas?

Any ideas on what I should do with "defend.law" now? (no comments from the peanut gallery) I signed up for only one year due to the high purchase price.

Also, DUKE, would you please keep us advised on how the interview goes (ie, any good news), with the CEO of new.net?

Thanks much everyone for your comments.

•••
Can't wait to read Duke.

Sit on the name for a bit. Maybe things will look better in 6 months or so (keeping fingers crossed).

ST

•••
Should prove an interesting read, as per usual Duke!
I'll enjoy the content with a leftover turkey and cranberry sang'wich and a warmed slice of homemade apple pie. :p
Appreciates.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back