Domain Empire

sales Nissan sells Z.com to GMO for $6.8 million

Spaceship
Watch

NPer

Very Allergic to CURRYTop Member
Impact
"GMO Internet, operator of Japan’s largest domain name registrar, has acquired the one letter domain name Z.com for JPY800 million ($6.8 million), the company announced today.
Japanese car manufacturer Nissa sold the domain name, which it previously used to promote its Nissan Z car.

GMO says it’s going to use the domain name, one of only three single letter .com domains available, to accelerate its global market expansion:

As one of only three single-character domain names currently existing in the .com space, Z.com is highly memorable and offers unparalleled marketing opportunity. With over 100 million registrations, .com is one of the most instantly recognizable and easily identifiable domains in the world. Z.com was acquired to spearhead GMO Internet Group global growth strategy, and securing “Z” under the .com Top Level Domain, provides the Group with a powerful tool to build a strong global brand.
"​

Read More: http://domainnamewire.com/2014/11/21/wow-nissan-sells-z-com-domain-name-to-gmo-for-6-8-million/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
According to the owner of Nissan dot com, he has spent 2.9 million dollars defending this case over the last twenty years.
so what the hell is Nissan Motors waiting for?
That's a lot of Windows licences.. that might be the cost but I doubt he's spent that personally. I wonder if Reader's Digest sued him for digest.com.

Nothing. At this point they just use NissanUSA.com for North America.

Anyone who says they won't buy a Nissan because of this aren't looking for a car or just blowing smoke. People buy products from companies that do far worse every day.

•••
Anyone who says they won't buy a Nissan because of this aren't looking for a car or just blowing smoke. People buy products from companies that do far worse every day.

Apple uses child labourers and marks up products by 1000%+. At the time some issue pops up on the news, they'll be like what a disgraceful company. Next month, they'll buy the newest iPhone.

•••
Might be a loss for Nissan but that's fine for them because there not in the domain business. They probably figure the time was right...

•••
You can tell there are a lot of people who have trouble understanding buyers. Perhaps it is just a lack of understanding in the auto market.

People are pretty particular about who they buy cars from. Even if Nissan took out ads in every major newspaper, magazine and prime time TV ads for a year, there'd still people people who would look at a "Z car" and think "never heard of them, I'll stick with my Ford Pinto."

Changing the name of an auto company is expensive. Going from Datsun to Nissan was 500 million dollars in the 80s.

•••
http://www.digest.com/Big_Story.php

I'll never buy a nissan car after reading this.

Were we really using this web-design during 90s ?! Damn, my memories had been "erased" for years until i visited this site. All those moving flags (.gif), all those coloured borders. How wonderful was the life back in late 90s, mostly because i was something more than a kid.
It's curious how the PRESIDENT of a Computer company ("Nissan Computer Corp") keeps updating a 90's designed website.

What is more curious is how poor is the knowledge of some powerful people at the top of big corporations. You might be surprised but i'm not. I live in Italy. We're just joining the 21st century, internet speaking. Big local companies have been messing up with internet, websites, bad domains for years, they're starting to be more "modern" just now. Only few of them.

However, this sale is not a scandal. We're talking about $6,800,000 for a brandable domain. Let's be honest, Z.com is just a very rare brandable domain, and almost $7M is a decent price, for the seller as well as the buyer.

•••
I could've seen Nissan using "Z" as a new brand of luxury cars, similar to how Toyota set up Lexus. Clearly their marketing department didn't see the potential with such a prime domain name.

•••
I could've seen Nissan using "Z" as a new brand of luxury cars, similar to how Toyota set up Lexus. Clearly their marketing department didn't see the potential with such a prime domain name.

Err... it's called Infiniti.

Unfortunately, Mr. Infiniti owns it because Nissan has no idea what it's doing <smh>

•••
•••
Z.com means nothing until someone totally rebrands on Z... so the sale (for the obvious 3x value) is limited to companies with a spare $21 million that haven't yet branded on something else.... or are creating a new brand and are willing to build that around a single letter Z. I'm pretty sure that's a small list.

Get a nice product, get a domain like that, brand it for a lot less than you would've branded another 'longer' domain and you have a winner. Big companies can do that. Nissan is not one of them.

But this transaction smells even from Europe.:-,

•••
I still think Nissan can get a lot more than 6.8m if they hire a pro broker from our forum

•••
•••
•••
•••
So with this recent sale of z.com what do you think of ƶ.com(IDN)? You could say they are pretty much opposites, but are they opposite in price too?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back