NameSilo

nTLDs Multi Channel Analogy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Taylor_C

Impact
What are everyone's thoughts on this article that just came out on CircleID "CMO Offers Fresh View on New gTLDs: They're a Channel, Not Just a Label."
Here's the meat of the article as I cannot post a link.

THE INTERNET IS GOING MULTI-CHANNEL
By Dave Maddocks

"… There is logic to what's happening behind this domain proliferation. The folks at ICANN have thought it through. Thankfully, they're taking the long view on this.

Consider the fact that the internet has been much like the first 40+ years of broadcast television: three networks, public broadcasting and a few orphans on the UHF spectrum. The internet has been .com, .org and .gov.

Enter cable television and Fox Broadcasting.
Regardless of what you think of Fox News and Mr. Murdoch's politics, the guy had vision. While the big three were banking on their monopolies, Murdoch picked up the fledgling fourth network, Fox Broadcasting. His visionary move was that his brand could be multi-channel: Fox News for News; Fox Sports for Sports; Fox Broadcasting for Entertainment. Until then, no network had considered this. You would think that CNN would have taught the big three this lesson.

Smart companies will adapt to this strategy as well: Nike.com for commerce; Nike.biz for investor relations; Nike.green for environmental policy and transparency. Some will even use .green for commerce. For example, there are thousands of environmentally safe products available at Target.com, as there are at WalMart.com. Someone will gain first mover advantage by opening a new "door" into their site that takes you right to their sustainable and biodegradable products.

Younger internet users [read: the future] remember addresses, like street names and are moving away from search and directly keying in assumed addresses. As the multi-channel internet develops, they will be apt to expect to type in brandname.green to fulfill another expectation they have: transparency..."
[while brandname.newgTLDs will offer and fill a wide realm of other expectations for Internet users].

I though the multi channel analogy was brilliant. And while I have seen that comparison alluded to in the past I have never seen it so succinctly stated.
These are a few extensions I quickly pulled out from the nTLDs that could act as different 'channels'
.shop, .auction
.green
.wiki/.how
.press/.media
.reviews
.app

What are your thoughts regarding this multi channel idea, and what might be some nTLDs that may provide a new channel for many businesses/brands?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
The article starts off on a misnomer, ICANN thought nothing through, if they did they would have not allowed singular and plural versions of the same keyword for starters.

ICANN is in it for the same reason everyone here is, MONEY. It costs a lot of money to want to buy your own autonomous country.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back