Dynadot

Parking a Proprietary Name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm looking for possible legal implications of parking a .info name on a scholarly Forum discussion site with a different domain name.

The .info name I want to use is the proprietary name of the actual organization under discussion in the forum. This group owns several other domain name extensions with their actual organizational name. The .info, however, is still available.

Can someone suggest the trademark issues involved here or point me to a link that might spell these out more clearly?

I appreciate any direction you can provide.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As long as you are not infringing on anything it should be ok.

•••
The best advice I can give you in this case is to post a disclaimer on your site to let visitors know that your site is not affiliated with or endorsed by xxxx company. Trademark holders often will create a case against a domain owner by claiming they were trying to create confusion or mislead visitors.

The legal implications of using a trademarked domain such as this is that the trademark owner could file a UDRP domain dispute againt you to try to get the name from you. It won't cost you anything to file your response to try to prove that you have a legitmate reason for owning the domain.

•••
This is helpful direction. Thanks.

•••
Does anybody know a well tested disclaimer that has been used successfully in cases like this?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back