IT.COM

PayPal not safe? Reversed payment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I sold domain name spgb.org on 12 April 2016. (reported to namepros already)

The buyer sent offer of $300 thru bodis.com parking page and I agreed to sell the domain for the price. I sent paypal payment link and the buyer paid thru his credit card. I received money after charges and pushed the domain to buyer's dynadot account. The domain already in buyers account and whois records shows buyer is the current owner of the domain name.

But the buyer requested refund (he says, he did not receive the item!) and paypal created dispute id and I replied to paypal with full details including buyer's offer email, whois details, mail from dyandot...etc. But today, I got email from paypal that, the dispute solved and they sent refund to the buyer!!!. The domain is with buyer, also he got his money back. Now I have to pay $300 to paypal.

Please advise me for next steps.

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your next step: the lesson learned. You have no protection with paypal. Plain and simple. That's why people have escrow.

Or make yourself an account on 2CO how i did: they are always on the seller's side. And a buyer can pay with paypal or cc.

•••
He might be a NP member. Please reveal the buyers details.
Please prefer to close any transaction using sedo escrow (3%) or Flippa escrow(10%) or Escrow.

•••
Have you contacted buyer through email

•••
You really have no way of getting anything back. Did you ask Paypal how they ruled for buyer when you showed domain transferred ?

Here is the bottom line, don't ever be lazy when it comes to this business, Lazy COSTS Money.

I realize some will say oh it is only $300, for many that is a good deal of money especially if they are young or the dollar goes much further in their country.

Even if it is tip money for some, people don't like to get screwed over, you need to set up an Escrow transaction, split the fee, whenever someone doesn't want to use Escrow that is a red flag.

I one time called Paypal and asked to speak to the customer service supervisor and I played out a scenario, what if someone does a chargeback and I have a screenshot to prove to you that they got the domain pushed to their account ?

She was clear even if they agree the domain was pushed, it is up to the bank and they will always rule in favor of their cardholder. Unless you know someone and can trust them, NEVER take Paypal for a domain sale. Especially credit card, if it is Paypal balance, then you are just working with Paypal there is no idiot bank to get involved and just rule in favor of their cardholder.

•••
He might be a NP member. Please reveal the buyers details.
Please prefer to close any transaction using sedo escrow (3%) or Flippa escrow(10%) or Escrow.

buyer is not a NP member.
pls check whois details of spgb.org for details of buyer.
thanks for your advise.

•••
Have you contacted buyer through email
Contacted several times, but the buyer not interested to reply.

•••
Try contacting the registrar , they may be able to help, When did the transaction take place?

•••
Paypal really sucks for digital good sadly

•••
I have said this over and over again here.

Don't use PayPal, they will rip you off!!!

I have had so much trouble with them and I never use them, and haven't for years.

As I have said at NP before - many, many times, I use Escrow/com for everything, even low value domains.

I don't mind paying the fees if I have to, it is worth it for the peace of mind.

If it helps, look at it this way - you pay a commission at the marketplaces, and don't mind giving away up to 20% or more to them.

I would rather pay more in fees, or split the fees with the buyer and lose a little $.

It is definitely worth the loss of some $, IMHO.

•••
Scary and full of lesson for us domainers who use Paypal for small transactions. After reading this, I sure won't be using Paypal even for a $100 transaction.

It's simple, AVOID PAYPAL AT ALL COSTS AS THEY DON'T FAVOR THEIR SELLERS.

Hope you get your domain back.

•••
•••
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/seller-dispute-resolution

Did you do everything that is on the above page correctly?

Same name on personal name on whois as on paypal transaction?

Is it still listed at any marketplaces in your account or have you removed? sedo,afternic goodaddy etc?

I can tell you first hand it does not matter how well you follow the rules, PayPal will always screw you.

If you doubt it just google "PayPal complaints" and read page, after page, after page of horror stories.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back