Dynadot

discuss Possible sanctions for Russia and Russians in the field of domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Igor Gabrielan

.ai .mv .botTop Member
Impact
The authorities of Ukraine turned to the ICANN with a request to block the domain zone .ru and other domain zones of Russia.
Is it possible to block all domain names owned by Russians, that is, in zones .com .org .uk , etc.?
Now there are restrictions and sanctions for Cuba and Iran for the zones .cu .ir .
Probably there are restrictions for other states. But how wide are they? Can similar or even greater sanctions be applied to Russia?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Do you have a link of the chinese deal, can't find it. Also, excluding Qatar, there is Azerbaijan, Venezuela and possible Iran through Greece-Bulgaria pipeline from Mediterranean Sea, liquid gas from multiple sources, they can reopen tens of coal mines, to replace the gas ( postponing Green Deal for later on) and 3 proved new gas reserves in Black Sea( first one ready to deliver gas in september) and four more under analysis, to check how much gas reserves there are there.
Feb. 4th

Putin hails China oil and gas deals amid tensions with Europe
https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2...ost-energy-alliance-with-30-year-gas-contract

•••
Unemployment on a massive scale.. I'm sorry, but I do feel sorry for ordinary Russians making Big Macs are now with no income.. I hope all that ends the war, otherwise it's just unnecessary suffering..
this will not halt the war, but it may add to the massive sanctions that may end the war

•••
As you may already know, i'm pro "ordinary people" Russian, Ukrainian, Syrian, whatever. So I dislike these actions for that reason, not because I support one politician over another. Unless "sanctions that may end the war" prove effective now, not when a country is already taken by another, & a new government is installed, i'll still be against such action. Actions that destroy lives frankly, & cause human suffering on an unimaginable scale.

No signs of a resolutions so far.. Hope that changes quickly

honestly, I guess nobody knows a really great and smooth and harmless solution

Putin has to stop it
that's the easy solution

but we can't have it as he doesn't want to
so here comes sanctions

we don't know any better

wish we did

•••
The current geopolitical situation in Ukraine has a direct and indirect impact on business relations with Russian and Belarusian business partners.

Due to the current situation, we have to inform you that Sedo has suspended trading and parking for domains under .ru and .by. In addition, we are currently unable to serve customers residing in Russia or Belarus, as well as corresponding bank accounts. The affected accounts will be temporarily deactivated.

We ask for your understanding that, due to the present situation, we cannot guarantee payment processing with Russian and Belarusian business partners.

Sedo disapproves of any kind of hate and violence, as well as anything that radically contradicts our corporate values. Therefore, for the sake of the civilians involved, we hope for an early resolution of this conflict.

Best regards,
Your Sedo Team

•••
•••
Due to recent developments out of our control in regards to the events unfolding in Ukraine, we are working closely with our partners to determine our obligations to them to continue providing services to you uninterrupted.

We are suspending new registrations and transfer in’s of all Russian domain names: .ru, .com.ru, .net.ru, .org.ru, .pp.ru, .msk.ru, .spb.ru, .рф (.xn--p1ai), .москва (.xn--80adxhks), .рус (.xn--p1acf), .дети (.xn--d1acj3b), .su, and .tatar.

This will not impact your existing services. You can continue to renew your existing Russian domains for previously listed extensions in 1-year terms.

If you have any pending orders for these domains listed above, they will be canceled and a credit will be issued to your account that can be used for future purchases.

Please note these restrictions could change at any time. We reserve the right to deactivate or delete any domain name that is used - in our sole opinion - to violate the sanctions or to further the goals of the war.

We want to thank you for your continued business. We will continue to monitor the situation and update you with further information as it becomes available to us. Please reach out to us if you have any questions.

Best regards,
101domain

•••
•••
•••
Where the list of the names of oligarchs,their properties,their addresses…

Glory to Ukraine
Glory to Ukraine
Glory to Ukraine

•••
Oligarchs don't deal with domain names. But it is not the oligarchs who shoot and kill. It is not the oligarchs who bomb the civilian population and destroy houses, schools and hospitals with 500-kilogram bombs. This is done by ordinary Russians, those who own domain assets and their relatives. Therefore, they need to be deprived of these assets.
But Oligarchs are the enablers

•••
•••
•••
•••
As long as no one is injured or killed for no reasons.... Then everything is irrelevant

•••
Maybe you understand this:

I was reacting to Igor's thoughts about punishing.

I am NOT supporting any wars.

I do NOT support Russian expansions of any kind.
I do NOT support German expansions of any kind.
sorry

•••
ICANN doesn't have control over ccTLDs.
"Is it possible to block all domain names owned by Russians, that is, in zones .com .org .uk , etc.?"
No.
Who controls ccTLDs?

•••
It's not fair, but it's somehow explainable. Ukraine was for a long time part of the russian world, even now, some russian minorities and possible even some ukrainians think about Russia, even if the majority want's to go to west. So, the connections between europeans and Ukraine are not that strong yet, is like a brother who lived far away for tens of years and came back. Ukraine will be part of EU sooner or latter, no matter what Russia thinks, it's just a hard moment. You just need to resist until they go broke, it should not take to long.
The confiscation of domain names would help broke Russia.

Last edited:
•••
•••
The problem I have with these "sanctions" is when they target civilians. Everybody wants to virtue signal but stop and think about how this will be used in the future.

If you disagree, you could find yourself sanctioned for "unapproved views".

•••
Children are given real machine guns, although probably without cartridges. The Soviet Union was considered a militarized state and was preparing to fight the capitalist system, but in the Soviet Union children were not dressed in military uniforms in preschools. The initial military training was from the age of 15. In terms of the degree of militaristic madness, Russia outdid the USSR.
Okay, well i'm not in favor of handing a real machine gun to a child, I haven't held a firearm in my life, ever. But in all honesty, i've never heard that is an issue/problem in today's Russia. Given machine guns for what purpose? I could be wrong I don't know.

•••

A children's event where children are trained to destroy other countries with nuclear weapons.
You previous posts up till now were reasonable and making sense considering all the terrible things happening in your country, which I heavily regret for; but the latest statements regarding the civilians are plain not true at all.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Do they have the technical abilities....could they comb the WHOIS databases and disable every domain with a Russian registrant? I guess.

They also have a large role when it comes to the root servers.

Generally ICANN is not looking to make waves. They have already rightfully (IMO) rejected to get involved.

If they were compelled by a government to act, that is another story...and a very slippery slope.

Brad
That is, the US government can order ICANN to block domain names to Russians and block .ru domain zone, and ICANN can technically do this? It turns out that need to create a petition addressed to the US government?

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back