Dynadot

Purchase GoDaddy closeout domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

IceVincent

Impact
Hi guys,

I'm newbia here, and have a question need your help.

I bought a closeout domain from godaddy 2 days ago. At that time its left time was almost about 2 or 3 hours, I paid for it immediately, and received a confirmation email.

But today the domain is still not in my account. I read many posts here, and know that the closeout domain should be in my account 1 week later. That's ok, I can wait. But when I check the domain statue by domaintools.com 1 hour ago, I found that the domain will be expire next September! But godaddy showed me before its left time was about 2 or 3 hours. Why?

I also check godaddy closeout domains list, find many domains' left time is 1-6 hours, but all of they will expire next september. For example this one:
SecondChanceGrocery.com
Godaddy Left time is: 5 hours 42 mins
Domaintools show the exprie time is: 2016-09-26 (Created on 2002-09-26, Updated on 2015-09-30)
(Sorry, I'm not allowed upload img because I'm new here)

Closeout domains listed should be already expired, right? Then why here I see they will expire next september?
When will I get the domain I paid 2 days ago? One year later? OMG.

Any response will be appreciated. Thanks very much!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It will take 5 days for the domain to be in your account.

For expiry date read this:

The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

•••
GoDaddy adds time on but then gets a refund if no one wants to buy the domain. Basically ignore the expiry time in expired/closeout auctions.

•••
You are looking at the Registry Expiry Date. You should be looking at the Registrar expiry date.

•••
You are looking at the Registry Expiry Date. You should be looking at the Registrar expiry date.
What's the different? Where can I know the registrar expiry date?

•••
Most whois records will show you the registry whois details as well as the registrar whois details. Just read the whois to make sure you are reading the Registrar whois info.

•••
Most whois records will show you the registry whois details as well as the registrar whois details. Just read the whois to make sure you are reading the Registrar whois info.
Get it, the Registrar Date is: 2003-07-27, the Registrar is: Godaddy.com
Can't find the answer of question.

•••
Answer of question is godaddy need 5 day to clear your fund no matter how much is the amount.

You will see the date in status as 5 days after the day of purchase under your won tab, i checked mine yes it take 5 days so just wait.

Last edited:
•••
Not to worry it happens at the starting, you will receive domain within 1 week.

•••
approx time is 1 week just because you are in starting some time this kind of problem occurred.

•••
Don't count your chickens just yet; the former registrant can still renew the domain -- he/she has up to day 46 after expiration to renew.

In that case, you will get a refund.

It sucks, but that's the way Go Daddy rolls.

Just don't advertise your domain; there are ethically-challenged sharks around here who could email the former registrant and buy the domain from under you.

•••
Don't count your chickens just yet; the former registrant can still renew the domain -- he/she has up to day 46 after expiration to renew.

In that case, you will get a refund.

It sucks, but that's the way Go Daddy rolls.

Just don't advertise your domain; there are ethically-challenged sharks around here who could email the former registrant and buy the domain from under you.

He bought from closeout so not enough time for owner to register and probably he would get the name for sure.

•••
Who update the domain on 2015-09-30, when should be the domain's expiry date? Somebody update it for one year, so that extend the expiry date to 2016.9.26. Who did this? Godaddy? Why do it?

•••
He bought from closeout so not enough time for owner to register and probably he would get the name for sure.

I have had closeouts renewed on me.

My point: keep expiring auction wins to yourself until the domain is actually in your account.

In fact, keep them quiet for about 3 days after you acquire them -- 46 days after expiration.

There is at least one case where Go Daddy actually clawed back a domain to placate a whiny former registrant, discussed on this forum.

•••

My point: keep expiring auction wins to yourself until the domain is actually in your account.

In fact, keep them quiet for about 3 days after you acquire them -- 46 days after expiration.

There is at least one case where Go Daddy actually clawed back a domain to placate a whiny former registrant, discussed on this forum.

Humm your point make sense , if it is good name stay quite or else you might loose.

Mostly if it went to closeout means not many interest but sometime many good name go in closeout.

•••
Humm your point make sense , if it is good name stay quite or else you might loose.

Mostly if it went to closeout means not many interest but sometime many good name go in closeout.

Yes, I once sold a closeout name for $1,000 -- one day after I acquired it.

Good domains do slip under the radar...

This is a crazy, crazy business, for sure.

•••

I would say to keep quiet for two weeks.

•••
@Ms Domainer is correct. The names can still be renewed within those 5 days, even after you've paid. With closeouts it seams like you are never guaranteed until that domain shows up in your account.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back