Dynadot

Question about 3 letter domains.

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have heard that these are the most looked upon domains. Are they really worth anything? For instance....would 3ys.org be worth much or is it only domains like sex.com or bbc.co.uk.

Thanks for your help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
3ys.org would be a 3-character domain, not a 3-letter (one with no numbers or dashes). There are lot of 3-char domains available, and most of these have no real value, at least for now.

3-letter names have inherent value because of rarity (all taken in international TLDs); also because they can be used in a lot of ways.

•••
For me a 3 letters name, and even a 3 char. name, has value because it's sure someone on the earth need it. You can't imagine but maybe an organisation called 3YS is somewhere...

David.

•••
Glad to weigh in on this one as I love these type of questions! 3-letter domains do absolutely have strong values, and are getting stronger everyday. So much so, that you can no longer register (except by snap if you're lucky) any 3-letter domains in the top extensions of:

.com
.net
.org
.info
.biz
.us
.de

On the other hand, 3 character domains are still valuable depending on extension. To my knowledge, all the 3-character .com domains are registered. Most of the 3-character .nets are as well (though not all) and then a fair share of .org, .info and so on. These 3-character names are a little more tricky to value, as their general demand is not as high and there are many more combinations of them available (26 letters and 10 numbers times 3 slots vs. pure 3-letter names which only have 26 letters possible per slot)

Looking into the future, it's almost a definite that 3-letter names will continue to gain in value as the number of names possible stays the same, but fewer are up for sale on the market as many are being finally sold to their end users. 3-characters are less certain, but who knows...their values one day may surprise us all too!

By the way, you asked about traffic. The 3-letter master in my opinion is a gentleman known as Elequa. He owns a significant number of the 3-letter names in .com, .net, .org, .info and .biz (by significant, I mean thousands!). He invests in these names because he sees their type-in traffic potential to be exceptional, not to mention their memorability via their short length. I have to say I think he's on to something, and what he has planned for his network of names is likely to amaze us all. Time will tell!

Good question banners3go!

:) Andrew

•••
It seems all 3 letter .co.uk have been taken too.
I am not very clear know it.

Bean

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back