Dynadot

Question About Forwarding Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
About three or four days ago I went in and forwarded some of my domain names to certain affiliate programs. They still haven't hooked up, and when I type in the names i just get one of those "cannot find server" pages. How long does it take for those to hook up? And can they only forward to certain domains, like top level domains? Im thinking I did something wrong, because it doesn't seem like it should take this long for it to change. Any help is appreciated!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if it is .org .info, .biz or .us it should be within minutes depending on your registrar. .com .net use to take up to 48 hours but I think the downtime on that has been significantly reduced. Are you using your registrars forwarding service or are you hosting it yourself and using a code?

•••
Im using the registrars forwarding service. I might try a code if it doesn't work, its been a while and I don't think its going to work now. Thanks for your help!

•••
Yea something is definately wrong if it has been over 3 days.

•••
Do i need to change the ip too? Because it has @ * and www....I only changed the www one and set it on "url redirect". Maybe thats why.

•••
www is a subdomain so if you want www.yousite.com then you would need to redirect www the same as your main site. I don't know who your registrar is but if you are using enom for example, you would use record type as redirect on www, @ (none) and * Thats 3 in total. I think what you are doing wrong is you are attempting to use an ip, if that was the case you would need to rethink your intentions.

•••
No, i didn't say I attempted to use an IP. I said maybe because I DIDN'T use the IP thats why it failed. But thanks for clearing that up for me, so now I won't try that.

I don't understand what you are saying. How is www a subdomain? The site Im redirecting it to isn't my site, its an affiliate site.

•••
Had a discussion about this not too long ago. anything before your domain.com is a subdomain. You can do anything you want to www because it is just a subdomain aka 3rd level domain. This thread might lighten things up

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32682

•••
it takes a while that is what i hate about .com domains though.

•••
If the nameservers changed it will require dns propogation again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back