NameSilo

Quite basic questions for me

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hookah

Semi-NetizenEstablished Member
Impact
Hello to all

I've read alot of posts here before I registered. W'd like to know your opinion about some basic things if possible:

- does evaluation of domain names depends exclusively on Google output (in quotes of course :) and overture rating? I mean if there are some other parameters you use in estimating a value of the web name as "potentiality' for example.

- Are all domain names with dash "-" invaluable even if they are short and dash is located in natural for word structure or internet useing manner (as i.e. in "e-mail" name). Otherwise, is there any additional reason to accept such a dash-name as a valuable (carrying a good potential for the future)?

This is a lesson for me so I'll be glad to know your opinion.
Greetings, hookah

(sorry for my English - I am not a native speaker)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Originally posted by hookah

- does evaluation of domain names depends exclusively on Google output (in quotes of course :) and overture rating? I mean if there are some other parameters you use in estimating a value of the web name as "potentiality' for example.

While, Google and Overture results may be consider, they are far from the only things considered in determining a value. Things like number of letters, dictionary terms, the extension (.COM v. .NEt v. US)

I think if you own the domain and want get an idea of its value you should ask in the appraisals thread.

- Are all domain names with dash "-" invaluable even if they are short and dash is located in natural for word structure or internet useing manner (as i.e. in "e-mail" name). Otherwise, is there any additional reason to accept such a dash-name as a valuable (carrying a good potential for the future)?

Some people believe that "dashed" domains are good for Search Engine results.

•••
Welcome to Namepros, hookah. :)

While, Google and Overture results may be consider, they are far from the only things considered in determining a value. Things like number of letters, dictionary terms, the extension (.COM v. .NEt v. US)

Agree completely with my "Team Blue" friend, CenterPoint. You mentioned the word "exclusively" in your first inquiry ... and there are NO exclusive parameters used in evaluating :$: domain names. Search results from Overture and Google, as well as other S/E's, complement the length, readability, definition, extension, and perceived usability, functionality, and/or branding efficiency. It's also worth noting that many Appraiser's here at Namepros also have a unique knowledge/observation of other similar domain names *sales*, or first-hand personal experience selling related domains. This fact cannot be minimized, IMHO.

Some people believe that "dashed" domains are good for Search Engine results.

Same agreement. You mentioned the word "invaluable" in your post, hookah ... and a hyphen does not make the domain name necessarily invaluable. Depending on the other factors as noted above, it may REDUCE the valuation to varyng degrees. Appropriately selected hyphenated domains CAN be effective in the S/E's, but that is only ONE criteria for assigning domain name valuations in these cases, as I see it.
Best of Luck. :)

•••
Thanks guys

I've just asked because I noticed almost all the responses include Google and overture parameters in evaluations. I believe they are some criteria beyond these two mentioned.
I also believe that some naturally dashed words can built exciting domain names and even naturally put dash need not lower the value of domain name (I've checked Google and it shows the same results with and without dash for some words). If not now then in the nearest future.
Thanks and let me join your discussions sometimes,
Jarek

•••
Thanks and let me join your discussions sometimes,
Jarek

You're welcome, Jarek.
You're always more than welcome to discuss here, in the Appraisal's, or anywhere on the Namepros site ... all comments, opinions, discussions, and questions are welcome.
Thanks for your input here, as well. :)
PS. I often refer to Google "search results" (in quotes) in my appraisals to assist folks with potentially locating End user :$: type "leads".

•••
I am a fan of hyphenated domain names and have sold a few of them. it all depends on the name and when you post it for sale.

Additionally,if the name has traffic, then a certain value can be place to it as well.

I've seen names with 2 hyphens sell, so again it depends on what the potential buyer is looking for.

For SE's like Google and Overture which really aren't that different
(yahoo was using google for listings and now has bought Overture) many use those as an indicator for search term results.

Hope we've helped to answer some of your questions with resolve.

•••
Originally posted by biggie
I am a fan of hyphenated domain names and have sold a few of them. it all depends on the name and when you post it for sale.

Additionally,if the name has traffic, then a certain value can be place to it as well.

I've seen names with 2 hyphens sell, so again it depends on what the potential buyer is looking for.

For SE's like Google and Overture which really aren't that different
(yahoo was using google for listings and now has bought Overture) many use those as an indicator for search term results.

Hope we've helped to answer some of your questions with resolve.

I agree with the traffic thing, however a greater value is placed for "Quality" traffic

Also, I have a client that is totally nuts about hyphen names
in fact he has some the are three or 4 words seperated by hyphens.

•••
Welcome to namepros!

The first domain I bought had a hyphen...I had luck selling it. I don't really think it matters unless buying domains is your job. If you get them just for fun I believe it doesn't make a difference.

•••
Hi again,
I bought some dashed domain names so it looks like I am defending my ignorance. However, I hypothesized that the 'e' which naturally builds some words and is in domain name separated by dash looks natural and can be not disturbing for short, frequent used words (I use also a frequency analysis of english words). Anyway I buy them on my own risk as a potential capital for the future :)

I also read about the change in policy concerning dashed domain names some time ago and it encouraged me for making a supposition about future potential market for some names.

Despite, I also very appreciate the output of Google and overture rating but must analyse more systematically their usefulness and limitations.

Greetings and must say I am impressed by your kind opinions and friendly welcome.

Hookah

(I suppose this is not a proper forum for such a topic so forgive a newbie :)

•••
Greetings and must say I am impressed by your kind opinions and friendly welcome.

(I suppose this is not a proper forum for such a topic so forgive a newbie :)

Thank you for your kinds words, hookah ... and your post is a good one, AND fine here in this particular Newbie's Forum.
Keep up the good work. :)

•••
Hookah

Welcome to NP.

Domain valuation/appraisal is a highly imperfect science -if one feels brave enough to even call it a science. Often, when people toss in an appraisal, it might just be a number solely based on their gut feelings. Some times its within the ball park, some times it is way out in the lal la land. Use your own judgement!

Sure there are a lot of factors that must be considered if one were to get into more accurate appraisal of a domain name. However, there are a lot of variables, some of them are quantifiable, some of them are not.

The appraisals that you get also depends on the type of appraiser you are talking to. If it is an end-user, (s)he perceives value of a domain much differently than your fellow domain speculator who may be looking at it with an interst of making a quick buck or two.

Ultimately, value of the domain is what some one is willing to pay for it.

Google, Overture numbers are mostly used by the resellers. Endusers look at the revenue potential or value of their domain in terms of their own bottom line. There is usually a huge spread in the appraisals done from these to perspectives.

As far as "dashes" are concerned, yes, it has some advantage from SE's point of view. A bigwordlikethis is considered as onebigword, while a big-word-like-this is parsed and threated as a string of 4 different words. That helps in proper classification of your site/domain in terms of on-topic / thematic association. If you look at the graph theory based SE algorithms (I have a link on my site to some of the research papers by the top google techie), the way in which nodes (sites) are connected, it certainly helps to have a dash in there if your domain name includes on-topic keywords. Does it add significantly to the resale value? Probably not. On the other hand, if you were to build content and create traffic, it certainly helps over time.

HTH,

best regards,

SlashRoot.Com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back