NameSilo

new gtlds Radix targets a million .online names in 2-3 years

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Having just finished the most-successful new gTLD launch day to date, Radix Registry reckons it can get .online to seven figures in two to three years.

“We’re at 37,170 names as of an hour ago,” Radix CEO Bhavin Turakhia told DI at about 1000 UTC this morning.

That represents less than a full day of general availability. The company said last night that 28,000 names were registered in the first 30 minutes.

Source: Domain Incite

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What is funny here is that if you read the comments in the article... common people are questioning the extension.
People here at namepros are questioning the extension and one could argue that namepros is the common ground for many domainers.
I do not see where these sale numbers came from. The names that people are admitting to registering here are lower tier names. All the names that I look up on whois that would be considered premium names are registered by Radix.

Anyone else think this is fishy?

Could it be that Radix registered their own domain names to inflate the numbers to get news press like this???

Hmmm.....

Cheers

•••
That's a domain blog, so same type of people that post here.

As far as numbers, who knows. I did notice the GoDaddy Groups, like 7 registrars, spaced out pretty evenly 519 - 529 regs. I guess those are reserved?

https://ntldstats.com/tld/online

1 million in 2-3 years is actually reasonable, unlike some others.

•••
That's a domain blog, so same type of people that post here.

As far as numbers, who knows. I did notice the GoDaddy Groups, like 7 registrars, spaced out pretty evenly 519 - 529 regs:

https://ntldstats.com/tld/online
I noticed the same things and pointed that out earlier in other posts. I find it odd how 7 of the 8 Godaddy groups all have right around the same exact number of domain sales.
I made reference to them being partitioned out in blocks (lazily so) and spread across the different registrars.

It just makes me wonder if these numbers are not fudged by the registry to inflate the sales.

Honestly, .ONLINE was never a hot topic here prior to their launch. Most people (I would hazard to say) didnt really care for the extension. If Radix did indeed pay 8 figures like the article claims...I would not put it past them to try any means to inflate the numbers and cook the books.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

•••
Years ago, .pro or .tel were predicting millions of regs too.

Speaking of .tel look at the huge amounts of money they blew on a useless extension that may not even be profitable. IMO there is no string that is worth paying 8 figures.

Domain hubris.

•••
I noticed the same things and pointed that out earlier in other posts. I find it odd how 7 of the 8 Godaddy groups all have right around the same exact number of domain sales.
I made reference to them being partitioned out in blocks (lazily so) and spread across the different registrars.

It just makes me wonder if these numbers are not fudged by the registry to inflate the sales.

Honestly, .ONLINE was never a hot topic here prior to their launch. Most people (I would hazard to say) didnt really care for the extension. If Radix did indeed pay 8 figures like the article claims...I would not put it past them to try any means to inflate the numbers and cook the books.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

.Online was never a hot topic here or on other places what I have seen but domainers seem to have a thing for the word online. Every single keyword reserved or for an insane fee more or less and the high renewal fee starting from $25 per domain won't help the registry.

•••
.Online was never a hot topic here or on other places what I have seen but domainers seem to have a thing for the word online. Every single keyword reserved or for an insane fee more or less and the high renewal fee starting from $25 per domain won't help the registry.

It may not help the registry but it is still what is/has happened.
Check it out for yourself with a simple whois search of premium single words. They are registered to the registry (or at least under their name).
The others are at insane premium prices no less then $700 per year up to ( think I seen) $15,000 per year.

I still stand behind my thought that the registry fudged the number to make it look better then what it is.
You say that domainers have a thing for the word ONLINE but yet no one is really talking about the domains they purchased (at least not in the droves you would expect after 35,000+ domains where registered in a single day).

If you put these bits of information together, something does not add up.
Who is registering these names if its not us (domainers)?

I dont know... just giving my point of view.

Cheers

•••
Chad Wright who is a pretty big domainer picked up VirtualReality.online he got it day 5 EAP for $175, day 4 was there but I was like I cannot pay $650 for this name. I was surprised that it was regular renewal not premium. Like there are first names that are $12,5000 and $12,500 a year renewal.

•••
Chad Wright who is a pretty big domainer picked up VirtualReality.online he got it day 5 EAP for $175, day 4 was there but I was like I cannot pay $650 for this name. I was surprised that it was regular renewal not premium. Like there are first names that are $12,5000 and $12,500 a year renewal.
They didn't reserve or had any ridiculous premium pricing on any two words what I recall.

•••
It may not help the registry but it is still what is/has happened.
Check it out for yourself with a simple whois search of premium single words. They are registered to the registry (or at least under their name).
The others are at insane premium prices no less then $700 per year up to ( think I seen) $15,000 per year.

I still stand behind my thought that the registry fudged the number to make it look better then what it is.
You say that domainers have a thing for the word ONLINE but yet no one is really talking about the domains they purchased (at least not in the droves you would expect after 35,000+ domains where registered in a single day).

If you put these bits of information together, something does not add up.
Who is registering these names if its not us (domainers)?

I dont know... just giving my point of view.

Cheers
It's kinda taboo to speak about new gTLD:s in depth at Namepros, mostly a conflict of newbies with their premium names like sexiest.click or pokers.red vs. more experienced domainers heavily invested in .com with no money to "bet" on new gTLD:s.

If you don't believe me check out previous sales containing the word online, there are tons of small sales. Check out portfolios of "top" domainers and you'll see it's nothing strange to have domains that contains the word either.

Me I don't look at total stats, simply because I know that most are rigged.

•••
Radix registry is owned by Directi. As far as I remember, Directi was always too "optimistic" in claims related to their business(es). For example, some time ago their parking service (skenzo) lost ask.com/google feed and switched to yahoo, after which change the payouts became... funny - and their reps responded to us that we are the only one (!) complaining as all customers do see payout increase. Furthermore, since Directi is now owned by Endurance (EIG) - it certainly does not add more trust...

As for .online, the registry has much higher renewal prices (vs. initial registration prices). One may register .online for $13.99 through lets say Dynadot - for one year, and renew immediately for about 2x higher price. This would not help to increase renewal rates of lottery tickets that are currently on sale.

And finally... Initially (for me) it appeared that .online is good as a "generic" string. But now I do not think so. It is just one of many strings in which only hacks like "dating.online" may have some value. Why? Very simple indeed. How can a random website domain name be "OFFline"? It can not. So, what .online string really means in domain context? If it is not "dating.online" etc, then it really means something like "wet water" or "oily oil". Would the general public purchase it? Only time will tell...

•••
Years ago, .pro or .tel were predicting millions of regs too.
DotPro was worse. The people behind DotTel actually had more of a clue but I think that they realised what was happening in the market and that the delays and technological developments (the iPhone and smartphones) had cost them dearly. If you want a laugh, read the DotPro application. It had the classic "DotCOM is x and therefore if we get y% of that number" business school statement. (Most decent business schools would fail a student using that mind of market estimate.)

Regards...jmcc

•••
Very simple indeed. How can a random website domain name be "OFFline"?

Yes, a URL is always online, but for example MBA can be online or offline, so MBA.Online can have a value that it indicates that this is an "Online MBA" versus traditional "Offline MBA". And this can be applied to many thing like Divorce.online,jobs.online, Laywer.online, MakeMoney.online...You will always be able to make money online or offline, but MakeMoney.online is about making money online( not offline)...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back