Dynadot

Registrar-misleading-allowing multiple pre-registrations-new gtlds

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
During an EAP (early pre-registration) it is not customary and is not good practice to allow multiple pre-registrations for the same domain within a Registrar.
I found this quite disturbing!

Registrar is misleading by allowing multiple pre-registrations in -new gtlds prior to general availability.

It is not right to do so since in any event only the one who registered first within the Registrars system (if they indeed get the name during that eap) is and should be entitled to that domain.

If there is a name in pre-order or in EAP by a company, then there should either be a notice that someone else already pre-registered it within their system - cautioning the person about it.
Or not have the name available by them for registration again once it was pre-registered by someone in their system.

Otherwise it is very misleading. They could just take many orders for the same name endless times!! and then just delegate to whomever they want!

If I know that someone or more than one are there in line before me, I wouldnt place an order and pay for it, at that stage.

By having multiple applications there is also no transparency, as the registrar could just decide to give it to whomever they close a deal with!

There has to be transparency.

If you do not inform people that there is another order in your system prior to their order, you are basically misleading them. It is simple as that.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Here is an answer my partner got.

We accept multiple applications in our system as we never know if an applicant
will pay. Only applications where we have been able to collect a deposit from
will be submitted to the registry.

Other registrars accept multiple applications for the same domain and then
auction it off beneath those applicants. We are convinced our way is more in
line with the interests of the applicants themselves."

BS- Just BS!
In order to place an order or for it to even go through, you need to pay!

I have no problem with them taking multiple orders and even have ppl pay for it. (Every day a sucker born). But they need to be transparent about it. To let ppl know that there are other orders for the same domain! or that they in general allow multiple pre-registrations for the same domains!
They need to let ppl know that and based on that whomever wants, can decide if they would still put in an order.

Otherwise you think you are the only one there who preordered it.

By not having a notification it just allows them to show high turnover which is really fake as almost everyone will get their money back(if they even give a refund and not just credit).
Or if only credit you basically forced ppl to put money into something they could not get and forced them to spend it by you on another domain.

Not to mention that they can just give it and close a private deal with whomever they want.

•••
It wouldn't make a lot of sense for a registrar to only allow one pre-registration per name, as it can be withdrawn and refunded by the registrant at anytime before release.

I agree with the transparency, people should be informed so they know the name could end up in auction.

•••
They dont even have an auction. So they can just give it to whomever they want.
And no-once you put in a pre-order there - he money is withdrawn and cant be gotten back before release..and once again..you dont even know that there are others.
This is why also the industry has such a name. Any person who puts in an order wouldnt even be aware of this without being told. This is not like putting in a bid at namejet. This is different.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back