Domain Empire

question Responses To “Tough” Or “Tricky” Questions When Outbounding

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I do outbound marketing for some of my domains sometimes (usually Geo Domains). From time to time I get end users who ask what feel like “tough” or “tricky” questions to which I have yet to develop solid responses that I feel really good about. The questions I’m referring to are:

1). How long have you had the domain? I especially dread this question when we’re talking about a new hand registration I’ve only had for a few weeks or even days in some cases.
2). Why are you selling it?
3). How did you acquire the domain?
4). Did you get any business from it?
5). Is buying and selling domains your business?
6). How / why did you choose me?

A single buyer does not usually ask all of those questions but some do ask 2 or 3 of them. Getting these questions often signifies strong interest and perhaps some trust issues but I feel like the deal can be made if I don’t screw it up with my reply. Part of my dilemma arises when I get the sense they think I am a colleague who works in their industry because I believe simply saying “I buy and sell domains for profit” will turn them off. I don’t want to lie or mislead the buyer but I also don’t want to risk killing the deal with too much info.

In the past I have responded in a variety of ways including:
- Focusing my response on other questions or issues they raised and mostly ignoring the question that made me uncomfortable.

- Saying that as a side business I occasionally acquire premium domains and offer them for sale at super value prices (very reasonable prices). With this response I don’t usually say where or how I bought the domain.

- “How / why did you choose me?” I have only been asked twice that I can remember off the top of my head. Once I said because I came across one of their social media posts and the other time I said I felt a connection to her because in her About Me section she discussed her love of music (you might be surprised to hear that she bought the domain in spite of that response). If the end user advertises on Google I could probably craft a nice response but if they don’t do paid ads or active social media it feels a little harder.

A potential buyer asked awkward question 1 above about a 2 month old domain yesterday which prompted this post. I would love to hear how some of you guys have dealt with some of these questions and what those of you who have not dealt with them first hand feel would be GREAT responses. What strikes the right balance of being responsive and reassuring without offering too much unnecessary info?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1). How long have you had the domain? I especially dread this question when we’re talking about a new hand registration I’ve only had for a few weeks or even days in some cases.
2). Why are you selling it?
3). How did you acquire the domain?
4). Did you get any business from it?
5). Is buying and selling domains your business?
6). How / why did you choose me?

1). The age of the domains is x amount of years or days
2). It is on offer due to being a company asset and is of value.
3). It was registered it or purchased from another undisclosed investor.
4). It has not been promoted we allow new owner to decide how.
5). Yes professionally with commitments, further assets and expenses. (eg: We can design market the site after purchase to suit your requirements.)
6). Your business is an obvious choice that can benefit from this brand or generic keywords.

7) How much did you pay for it.
7a) It is against any company policy to reveal costs as it has no relevance to value and cost of business.
8) Your selling for $xxxx I can buy equal name dot tld for less for mid $xxx.
Your twice the price.
8a) We appreciated your time but it doesn't meet reserves as an offer low $xxx 10% of asking price. Can you get to the 50% for quick settlement next 3 days?
Or show sales data if it has better result on keyword or extension dnsal.es (keep up sleeve might need it later if not revealed or might hinder sale if not so strong.
8b) Appraisal data eg search terms shows one is stronger than the other.

Last edited:
•••
9) I am a student. can I get a discount.
9a) We have settled on our present pricing due to potential revenue on development.

10) I see you only paid $15 why can't you give it to me for $100.
10a) We are running a domain business with overheads and commitments there is further costing. Domain price fluctuate we base our pricing on the current days market based on keyword cpc values traffic and similar settled prices.

Last edited:
•••
Overcoming objections is your opening to find out more.....

1) Can you now make an offer close to asking price?
2) What will you use the name for?
3) Is that a hobby business company?
4) How long you been planning this?
5) Is this the name you would most like to own?
6) Are you the decision maker?
7) Can we reach a quick settlement?
8) How will you be paying?
9) Do you have accounts at registrars.
10) What are you wearing? Kidding.

•••
Thanks @lock, awesome responses! I appreciate you taking time to not only answer my questions but also include even more. Your idea to ask questions to move the deal forward after addressing the buyer’s questions is smart. I often struggle with what to say in follow-up messages when they go silent after 1 or more responses; I think asking questions like “Are you planning to build a separate page / site with the domain or simply link it to your existing website to immediately take advantage of it?” might be helpful.

Perhaps other folks have questions or answers they would like to include?

BTW, I thought everybody ended every outbound email with “What are you wearing?”! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back