question S-coins and your domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

capybara

capybaraTop Member
Impact
CpxnSRl.png

© Investopedia.com

There is dramatic growth in numbers of s-coins appearing recently and what happens is their creators often choose "easy to make up" and cool brandable names... and some of these names happen to be your .com domains. For me, there are now several cases like that where my domains now have matching s-coins and I am not even a large portfolio holder (<500 names). However I would not expect these coins' creators to come and buy my domains exactly for the reasons these coins are being called s-coins.

What happens is they use an alternative (sometimes very alternative) extension for their domain name but to promote themselves they generate a huge amount of social media content, blog posts etc on as many platforms as possible. So search results for that name mostly consist of the s-coin related content. Which is often generously flavored with "scam"-like feedback. While this has no direct ties to the .com domain name, I believe that has a very negative impact on its sale value, since the buyer would rather consider a clean slate for their brand name than something that has a dubious or outright "scam" label stuck to it in the search results.

Does anyone else feel affected by this trend?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The vast majority of the coins in crypto are indeed s*** coins. This hasn't changed since Bitcoin coming out in 2009, then Litecoin / Namecoin in 2011, then Peercoin in 2012, Dogecoin in 2013 ...etc

Prime example: The dog, Dogecoin. This "thing" isn't exactly the most useful / innovative project, it was literally launched as a joke. That joke has reached a top 10 in the space by market cap (over $32B, as of today, 10/10/2021), with over $1B in 24h trading volume

As long as peoples bags are benefitting, a lot of hodlers are pretty happy, with regards to the "effect" this stuff has. There is no justice in crypto, the online wild west ...even the bad stuff seems to do fine, price wise. There is only a very small amount of true use and innovation going on, and there is no stopping people creating stuff, given the nature of the game

In summary: This trend of s*** will continue, because people still buy s*** and the price goes up

Last edited:
•••
PS I missed the point made about past or current scams effecting certain domains, I would say that's a maybe ...but I don't think so entirely

Notorious scams from the past: One Coin, Bit Connect, Bitclub Network ...certainly may deter a buyer calling their crypto project by one of those, but I think entirely different businesses / projects outside of crypto, I'm going with nah. If someone in retail called their brand "One Retail" and they had "One Coins" to get in store discounts (being part of the "One" brand), it wouldn't cross my mind

Amusingly, if someone DID buy "One Coin dot com", and it DID happen to be a new crypto project, people could see some irony that. There is a psychological element to something that was a scam called "One Coin", but now this thing is here to make amends with a real team, real use, real utility ...it may even help the brand in a sense that: A scam set out to be scam wouldn't generally run under a notorious scam name to gain customer confidence ...doesn't seem like a natural approach for a fraud, to plant that seed of doubt from the start with regards to the confidence ...psychological element, with a bit of irony, as mentioned. However, it can swing both ways, and simply just be another scam anyway

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back