Domain Empire

SEDO - A very bad choice !!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Sedo really sucks. After we made them a whole lot of money, by painfully optimizing domains for various search engines ( non paid traffic ), they sent us letter informing us that traffic was not converting for their advertisers.

Now why would we care if it is converting for their advertisers. That is their job not ours. Our job is to drive the traffic. They shutdown our account because we did not reply to their email within 6 hours. Wow 6 hours to wait for a reply before closing down an account.

I really hope that sedo gets what they deserve one day. They seem to be making lot of publishers upset these days.

Basically we lost a whole ton of money because of this, and sedo pocketed this money. Way to go sedo! Withhold those funds like you said in the email !!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow 6 hours? That's just unreasonable.

•••

I also am getting a bit angry with sedo/

I am waiting more then a month for sedo to receive the payment from the buyer...

It looks like they take transaction below $1000,- not serious...

•••
I have had nothing but bad experiences with Sedo.

The sooner they disappear the better.

•••
Sedo is 41% owned by 1and1.com, so it is any wonder that they are anti-consumer? I put my money where my mouth is about two months ago and dropped them completely from my portfolio performance. True, my offers for sale dropped; True, my parking revenue SKYROCKETED. You can search "1and1.com hater" and "dump sedo" on this board and find my threads.

I just don't get how my revenue just jumped nearly a thousand (1000% - no typo) within one week of leaving sedo. They are theives, liars, cheats, or all of the above imo...

Put your money where your mouth is too. Dump sedo!

Try Namedrive. They seem to be the most consistent earners in my opinion. I have a sampling ~ 100 names at Fabulous and while I did get a $5+ and a $7+ click, the traffic and clicks are much less than at Namedrive. It seems that ND just puts more effort into optimizing and converting traffic.

•••
domainalliance said:
.... they sent us letter informing us that traffic was not converting for their advertisers.

They shutdown our account because we did not reply to their email within 6 hours. Wow 6 hours to wait for a reply before closing down an account.
Did something happen in between those two events?

Are you saying there was no further communication, details, emails, arguing (etc.) and they just shut down your account like that, only because the conversion was poor, and only after one review?

faisj said:

I also am getting a bit angry with sedo/

I am waiting more then a month for sedo to receive the payment from the buyer...

It looks like they take transaction below $1000,- not serious...
SEDO is not responsible if it's the buyer's delay, and from what I've seen, the amount is not an issue. I've had $200 deals finish in days, and waited a month for $X,XXX buyers to pay.

•••
i had exactly the same thing happen
but in the end i had a good yell at them via email
and ended up with my account back
but i had to wait an extra month for my parkng revenue.. which REALLY stuffs things up

its like not getting paid by your employer for a month

•••
domainalliance said:
Sedo really sucks. After we made them a whole lot of money, by painfully optimizing domains for various search engines ( non paid traffic ), they sent us letter informing us that traffic was not converting for their advertisers.

Now why would we care if it is converting for their advertisers. That is their job not ours. Our job is to drive the traffic. They shutdown our account because we did not reply to their email within 6 hours. Wow 6 hours to wait for a reply before closing down an account.

I really hope that sedo gets what they deserve one day. They seem to be making lot of publishers upset these days.

Basically we lost a whole ton of money because of this, and sedo pocketed this money. Way to go sedo! Withhold those funds like you said in the email !!!
What do you mean by 'Our job is to drive the traffic' ? Were you generating artifical traffic to your names ?
Care to paste the letter they sent to you (and the reasoning behind their action) ?
People sometimes complain about Sedo but I have never heard a thing like that.
No offense but that's only one side of the story and it's hard to understand with so little details.

•••
Sedo facts: real stats from my account - make up your own mind!

This is the stats for a domain "aceHotel.co.uk" I loaded onto Sedo parking on the 24/5/2006, so within 11 days according to Sedo I had earned 80p (£0.80).

Now a couple of months later, according to the latest results, Sedo claim that I've only earned £0.44p for ALL My domains combined for a few months traffic?

Here's the real stats, first 11 days for just 1 of my domains:

Date Views Clicks Revenue
24/05/2006 9 1 0.04
25/05/2006 6 0 0
26/05/2006 6 1 0.16
27/05/2006 11 4 0.37
28/05/2006 7 1 0.15
29/05/2006 0 0 0
30/05/2006 6 0 0
31/05/2006 8 0 0
01/06/2006 5 0 0
02/06/2006 3 2 0.05
03/06/2006 1 1 0.03

That's 62 views in 11 days. (24/5/06 to 3/6/06)

Now, exactly a month later, (3/July 06) I go into my account and suddenly the total views is 21!

...so apparently in 1 month I've had minus 41 hits! And minus 4 clicks!

VOILA!

The same is true for all my other test domains that I loaded onto Sedo for pure parking. I am not "driving" traffic to the site, in fact the stats show that clearly, 62 views (hardly being hacked, i.e. artificially inflated now is it! )

•••
oo, a bash sedo thread lol. Gotta say i've always been happy with my transactions (had about 3 now). Click thru rate aint good, but thats another point.

•••
movingconcierge said:
Try Namedrive. They seem to be the most consistent earners in my opinion. I have a sampling ~ 100 names at Fabulous and while I did get a $5+ and a $7+ click, the traffic and clicks are much less than at Namedrive. It seems that ND just puts more effort into optimizing and converting traffic.
I've switched some to NameDrive, including one that was averaging just $.03 or $.04/click at Sedo. Its first two clicks at ND this month paid a total of $.01[?!].

I'll keep switching some domains around, but it hasn't made a significant difference yet. I'm in the neighborhood of $5 RPM at both places.

•••
SEDOparking.com up to No Good?

What exactly were you doing to drive traffic?

Someone is submitting spam emails via forms, forums and guest books using domains that a majority point back to a domain on sedoparking.com once you remove the subdomain and go to the URL.

For instance type this "vsemprevedy" into google. Look at the spam posts on thousands of sites all having this in common:
vsemprevedy

Most links have 404's but, they are using this to drive traffic, possibly to inflate Alexa Numbers, but not sure as of yet. The main domains on all these posts all go to sedoparking. You have to remove the subdomain and html page to get to the root URL and most cases are redirects to SEDOparking.com.

Anyone have additional info on this??? Is this a traffic ploy?

Last edited:
•••
i had a domain that got banned from sedo too they said it was recieving to much "automonous" traffic i thing there words were i didnt buy any traffic for this site or even submitt it to search engines so i know it wasn't my fault so i moved it to namedrive and they cleared out all the bad traffic, so this got me thinking if i wanted to i could get anybody banned from sedo by purchasing fake traffic and sending it to their domain (which i wouldn't do) sedo should take notes from namedrive and find a way to clear out bad traffic

•••
Sedo are a terrible company.

I use NameDrive

•••
Correct me if Im wrong, but Sedo uses Google sponsored listings. So, it is mostlikely Google that is withholding or correcting your views/clicks, not Sedo. Sedo simply acts as the middleman.

•••
sbaik said:
Correct me if Im wrong, but Sedo uses Google sponsored listings. So, it is mostlikely Google that is withholding or correcting your views/clicks, not Sedo. Sedo simply acts as the middleman.

I think that most parking companies use google feeds. Specifically, I think that NameDrive does and it pays more than Sedo. That's where the problem lies (no pun intended). Why is it that other parking companies pay more when the starting point is the same?

•••
I'm not one to complain, but NameDrive has given me more problems than Sedo. Although, I have not hit the point on Sedo where they will pay me.Hopefully it will come very soon!

•••
movingconcierge said:
I think that most parking companies use google feeds. Specifically, I think that NameDrive does and it pays more than Sedo. That's where the problem lies (no pun intended). Why is it that other parking companies pay more when the starting point is the same?
As far as I know, and unless somethings changed in the last 2 months, NameDrive is the only one to give you your actual earnings, that's why they update your earnings after a 48 hours period.
They fill in a standard, generic value at first, then correct it to the exact click amount (minus their percentage) later.

The others just give you a generic value per click. Your actual click could be, and usually is, much higher. Of course you never get to see it and only get paid the generic/standard value, that's why ND's PPC is higher than most other companies.

Re: Sedo.
I don't use them, I couldn't take having to deal with the idiots on the emails or their stupid verification system that doesn't work properly.

Last edited:
•••
For now, I am using sedo and I am pretty ok with it.

With sedo parking I have a reasonable CTR ( 20-30%) a nice CPC ( about 2$) and I had no problems or warnings about not converting.

I sold 2 domains with sedo and I waited many days because the buyer payd late.After he payd in two days they emailed me to send the domain.

BTW it is strange that mail with 6 hours pending.I must admit that I don't believe Sedo is making such a mistake.But everything is possible. :)

•••
Sedo has a really low payout & I dont think this is healthy for us domaineers :(

•••
movingconcierge said:
Yeah, Im sure some companies pay less than others. It seems that Sedo gives you a flat rate per click. Anything above that flat rate, they probably keep as profit. They must be making a killing!

•••
I've had pretty good luck with Sedo and have found their help in transferring domains (especially from 1and1) to buyers very good. I've done okay on their parking as well, but I haven't really explored other avenues on that note.

•••
sunken said:
I've had pretty good luck with Sedo and have found their help in transferring domains (especially from 1and1) to buyers very good. I've done okay on their parking as well, but I haven't really explored other avenues on that note.
That's because 1and1.com OWNS 41% of Sedo. That is why I boycott Sedo.

•••
I have to say i have no complaints regarding sedo whatsoever. I previously had my domains at trafficz.com and when i switched to sedo my earnings rose considerably... I have tried namedrive also, but i wasn't to pleased with the results. Two that i am going to try out soon are premiumtraffic.com and trafficclub.com.

•••
movingconcierge said:
That's because 1and1.com OWNS 41% of Sedo. That is why I boycott Sedo.

I knew that, but was not enough to boycott a site that has given me some pretty good cash and made my life easier in selling some of the few domains I have left on 1and1 (I don't buy there anymore, only at the beginning before I discovered NP and domaining). Everybody has different experiences and to each their own. I have not seen where it's worth it for me to boycott them as of yet. That may change in the future if I have issues with them, but so far it's been pretty smooth and their customer service has been good to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back