Domain Empire

guide Sedo Cancelled Sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LH1

Top Member
Impact
Hi - has anyone dealt with a cancelled sale by Sedo? They cited a vague security reason but I cannot figure out what it is nor should I have to play guessing games either. Communication with the transfer agent has been ignored (possibly due to working hours) but Im trying to determine how best to resolve. I went and unlocked the domain held at Dynadot after seeing the message and would like confirmation if that was the issue. Any thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
😕 So, we had a cancelled transaction of 100k for ip.credit. They (Sedo) stated the transaction was allegedly cancelled due to them being unable to verify the buyer's identity. Needless to say, this raised a few questions because there were no additional details provided. (Ex: Disclosure of their process for verifying a buyer's identity etc.)

🗣️ Because Sedo acts a middle-man for transactions, you might not receive much information about the transaction outside of its cancellation. MAYBE you could request the information used by the buyer to submit the purchase order. It can be tricky using certain marketplace platforms though. Especially with a quality name and decent profit margin on the line. Wishing you a speedy resolution.

👤Mel
QUAD Domains

Last edited:
•••
Thats frustrating and I'm sorry about your experience as well. I cannot even imagine how I would react under those circumstances but for a large international marketplace you would expect much better response time and overall management given the millions they transact daily. Its not clear to me from their description whether the security issue was on my side or the buyers side. Seems wildly arbitrary.

•••
To my knowledge the instruction from Sedo (after they receive payment in their account) Is to both unlock the domain AND forward the transfer code. Reads to me that they have notified you of a Potential sale, They have to tell you of the new status as the homepage changes to "Pending Sale" This is probably an Invoice requested (by the buyer) sale. Unlocking the domain alone is not going to affect anything.

Sedo are not going to pass onto you any specifics regarding refused payment-method, non-matching address details etc. Unfortunately it just becomes an uncompleted sale. I'm sure we have all had them at one time or another.

If your into the risk-game then just relist it (with resolving homepage) on another platform. More likely the buyer wont return though.

It is sometimes too easy to see a Sedo sale notification email as a done-and-dusted transaction, when that is far from the case, Can't remember the amount of times I've been left on tenterhooks waiting for the transfer instructions. Did have a domain go through them at $1400 this week. (basic 10% commission) So I rarely complain about their service

Last edited:
•••
I think the upset is a bit misplaced. Sedo wants a sale almost as much as you do. You can safely assume the problem was the buyers payment and/or credentials.

They aren’t going to give out private details on that. There are fake buyers, scammers etc and sales get cancelled everywhere. You just move on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back