Dynadot

Sedo I'm disappointed in you.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SeriousName.com

Are you serious?Restricted (85-100%)
Impact
So, I don't normally do these type of rant posts. But I feel this type of situation happens to many and it should be addressed and discussed.

Story short, I buy a domain at reg, I park it at Sedo as I have been doing for years. Sometimes with others parking groups but mainly with Sedo. Anyhow I noticed that I am starting to get "unique type in" click through traffic for this domain I parked. I'm starting to think this is a winner. Well, of course that didn't last long as Sedo sends me an email blacklisting the domain. With the statement of basically (Sedo has noticed irregularities in the domain. And that their advertising partners are very strict yada yada yada)... That's all well and good but why are you telling me this? I reply, as I have followed the rules and simply parked the domain and let it sit. In fact I forgot about the domain until it started making money. I contact them again and ask them to be very specific as to the allegations I am being accused of. As I have not done the things they are saying.

Finally I get a reply and the talking head says the same thing again, that they noticed irregularities on the domain so they suspended it (really? ,so you don't even consult me about it and get my side of the story before you take action?). According to them, once a domain is suspended from the program they cannot / will not put back to park. - They are close to being labelled "thieves" if I do not get my parking revenue. Well most of us call them that anyway from their minimum commission charge on sales.($60 USD)

I have decided to take my 1000+ parked domains away from Sedo and let them rest on another platform.
Who knows of a good parking company that has a clean record of "NOT" screwing people over?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't exactly think it's screwing anyone over. Whether you do it or not isn't exactly the point. Lots of random uniques out of no where isn't "just cause" the name suddenly became amazing. And indeed, they are beholden to the people who buy the traffic to make sure it's good and honest traffic. They're not directly accusing YOU of doing anything. They're telling you that, for whatever reason, the traffic to that name is not real or genuine and they can't pay for it because their advertisers won't pay THEM for it.

At the same time... Was this a newly reg'd name? If so, then you likely bought something that had expired BECAUSE it had been blacklisted by someone else not playing nice. ;) If so, there's decent tools to show you this before you buy (something like ExpiredDomains.net, for example, shows you negative PR and can also demonstrate other shady stuff -- like backlinks and where they are.)

If you owned this name for a while and it randomly started happen months after purchase... then "bad luck" of someone targeting it or a bot thing stuck on the wrong name. Either way, that's a cost of the domain business and none of us should expect Sedo or their advertisers to pay anyone for bunk traffic. Like insurance fraud, it hurts us all by driving down ad rates.

My 2 cents on the topic. ;)

•••
I am not sure where you got blocked.. with which advertizers etc.. but hope it does not run across all parking companies for you.

either way... there is probably only one way to find out if the domain is bad (not by your own doing of coursE) or if sedo is bad:

so assuming its not blocked all across.. try to park it elsewhere.. if it gets blocked again, I'd assume problematic domain. if not, then maybe problematic sedo

try parking crew cauzse they take everyone I think... or bodis, they take all for sure.

goodluck

•••
well im pretty much done with sedo 2 , try voodoo

•••
I don't exactly think it's screwing anyone over. Whether you do it or not isn't exactly the point. Lots of random uniques out of no where isn't "just cause" the name suddenly became amazing. And indeed, they are beholden to the people who buy the traffic to make sure it's good and honest traffic. They're not directly accusing YOU of doing anything. They're telling you that, for whatever reason, the traffic to that name is not real or genuine and they can't pay for it because their advertisers won't pay THEM for it.

At the same time... Was this a newly reg'd name? If so, then you likely bought something that had expired BECAUSE it had been blacklisted by someone else not playing nice. ;) If so, there's decent tools to show you this before you buy (something like ExpiredDomains.net, for example, shows you negative PR and can also demonstrate other shady stuff -- like backlinks and where they are.)

If you owned this name for a while and it randomly started happen months after purchase... then "bad luck" of someone targeting it or a bot thing stuck on the wrong name. Either way, that's a cost of the domain business and none of us should expect Sedo or their advertisers to pay anyone for bunk traffic. Like insurance fraud, it hurts us all by driving down ad rates.

My 2 cents on the topic. ;)
Hi thanks for reply, I had thought someone might bring up the age and maybe a previous blacklist, then I buy it and this, but it isn't the case this time around. This domain is a new extension that is becoming well known recently. I think maybe that Sedo's system is not prepared for the "irregularities" these new extensions may cause perhaps? And all due respect thats not my problem. I still am having my time wasted leaving a domain parked that is going to get trashed by the platform, not to mention the negative outlook of a domain that has been blacklisted that may reduce sale price. Why not the advertisers accept the risk too because surely the "parker" can't hold all the responsibility of "malfunctions". They are part of the domaining business too right.?

And why would some random person send traffic to a domain that is not theirs? If this domain indeed is targeted by a scammer.
I'm still waiting on a direct answer from them as to the cause.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah ok.... So you're suggesting you bought a name on a random new extension and it's just magically getting really valid type in traffic? Confratulations, you've found your unicorn!

All the same, I'd suggest perhaps the question isn't why would someone do it ... I don't really think you're asking the right question. WHY is it getting this traffic? If you don't have a reasonable legitimate answer, the simplest answer is that, for whatever reason, it's not really valid traffic.

And all due respect, but the domain should hold the bag on this. Not the platform, not the advertisers. Sorry if you disagree... I think the principle on it is pretty clear.

Anyway, good luck with other venues ... I'm going to go ride my own unicorn for a while. ;)

•••
"This domain is a new extension that is becoming well known recently."

Why this hyde and seek? Just share the name - easy for everyone to share valid opinion.

New extension domain name - getting lot of type ins - strange for me.

•••
"This domain is a new extension that is becoming well known recently."

Why this hyde and seek? Just share the name - easy for everyone to share valid opinion.

New extension domain name - getting lot of type ins - strange for me.
Hypothetically speaking if you found a "unicorn" as 21x20 put it. Would you give away the location?

•••
•••
•••
I honestly think the Big G and all their underbosses are doing "whatever it takes" to annihilate parked page revenue for "the little guy".

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back