NameSilo

Simple book database

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I made a database to keep track of all my books earlier this week (features/screenshots here), and thought I'd give it away in case anyone wants something similar.
I haven't tested it on anything other than Apache 2.2.11, PHP 5.2.7, MySQL 5.0.68, and Opera 9.63 - so if you use anything else, use it at your own risk. I didn't pay any attention to security when making it, so it's not really appropriate for anything else than running on your own computer.

Download

The SQL to set up the database is located in database.php, where you also need to enter the database details. Note: cover images must have the same name as the book (sans any '?', '!', ''', ':', '\', or '/') and be located in a folder relative to book.php called ./covers/ and be .jpg files (I included a blank folder for you).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Neat!

Perhaps add ISBN Lookup support? Would be useful and fairly easy.

•••
Done! The zip file has been updated. Now click the [+] next to the ISBN number to be taken to the isbndb.com page (if it exists).

•••
I've updated the script:
  • ISBN numbers are now separated by hyphens, not spaces. When entering them you can use either hyphens or spaces.
  • The blurb now has a "<p>" before and a "</p>" after.
  • There is now bbcode-like replacement of certain characters in the blurb:
    • " - " becomes " — "
    • "\r\n\r\n" becomes "</p><p>"
    • "\r\n" becomes "<br/>"
    • "..." becomes "…"
    • "[ i]" becomes "<em>"
    • "[ /i]" becomes "</em>"
    • "[ b]" becomes "<strong>"
    • "[ /b]" becomes "</strong>"
    • "[ u]" becomes "<span style="text-decoration:underline;">"
    • "[ /u]" becomes "</span>"

Note: There are no spaces in the bbcode tags, I just had to put them there to stop VB parsing them.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back