NameSilo

sales Sneaky End Users

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The seller got extremely lucky. The name is not worth near that amount without getting outrageously lucky. 99 percent of all domainers have no clue about what their domains are worth in a real world transaction. That is why forums fell off the map. Nobody is willing to offer anything of value, they are only looking to punish, or get over, on a buyer. That last name would not have fetched $50 here, nor should it. If he keeps his prices at 3K to 10K for those last names he holds, he will be taking them with him to his grave.

•••
The seller got extremely lucky. The name is not worth near that amount without getting outrageously lucky. 99 percent of all domainers have no clue about what their domains are worth in a real world transaction. That is why forums fell off the map. Nobody is willing to offer anything of value, they are only looking to punish, or get over, on a buyer. That last name would not have fetched $50 here, nor should it. If he keeps his prices at 3K to 10K for those last names he holds, he will be taking them with him to his grave.

..however, he succeeded in selling it for $xxxx!!

•••

He reg'ed millionaires' names. That is not pure luck like regging names from the telephone directory.
Infact I think he got unlucky, there was no reason to lower his prices, he would have sold for $9,999 too

•••
It doesn't matter. If people play the lottery, a few people will "succeed" even though their actions are not worthy of the good fortune that comes after they get lucky.

Domainers don't even know simple math. If I have a name that can fetch zero on the forums, but has a one in a thousand chance of getting a sale for 3K, then the value of that name is $3,000 divided by 1,000, which makes it a $3 name. That is assuming that you will either get 3K or zero.

Most people have absolute garbage that stands a one in a hundred chance of selling for a few hundred or so. If the name doesn't sell for a few hundred, then the name likely never sells. Those names are worth zero, even if one out of two hundred of the garbage names sells for $200 once in a while. You either get that concept or not. Probably 95 percent of people on forums have no idea how to factor in the odds of getting the sale, and they never account for the time spent in trying to get it.

To explain it better, imagine you are on a flight and your favorite celebrity sex symbol is on the flight. What are the odds that YOU are going to get a date? Well, in the domainers world, the value of that proposition is 100 percent, because they can give an example of some nobody at some point in history getting a date with a movie star or celebrity. Domainers take the best case scenario and then claim that is the value. They really have no understanding of what the hell they are talking about, and they are terrible businessmen and women as a whole, because great business people know that a good business is one in which you offer a product or service that you yourself would buy at that price. Domainers are offering dog shit that they would never buy for any price, and they expect people to pay their rent by offering up their loser names.

And that is why they will never be taken seriously as a group. You hardly ever hear a story of someone bragging about what a great deal they gave someone. They are always bragging about the brutal deal that they suckered someone into.

•••
I agree with most of your points.
However, the probabilities may be different than 1 in 1000 or 1 in 100.
A millionaire will likely at some time want or need his name for business or whatever.
How likely is that - I don't know.

If you play the math, and reg 10 such names for 10 years each, that sets you back around $1,000
If you have reasons to believe that at least one millionaire guy will buy at $1,000 or more, then the odds on your side.
And while someone may say that the probability that this happens is very low, someone else may have different / better information which shifts those odds and makes it worthwhile.

Not that I endorse this tactic from an ethical viewpoint. Just the math.

•••
To explain it better, imagine you are on a flight and your favorite celebrity sex symbol is on the flight. What are the odds that YOU are going to get a date? Well, in the domainers world, the value of that proposition is 100 percent, because they can give an example of some nobody at some point in history getting a date with a movie star or celebrity. Domainers take the best case scenario and then claim that is the value.

Talk about generalising!

I would consider my odds of 1/the amount of people on the plane and even then I would be considering the amount of people who would not be interested because they have their partner with them, or at home etc, thus increasing my own odds slightly. See, (as I am sure lots of others do) consider every bit of information I can, in order to make the best decision. Goodbye your theory. :)

•••

I don't know if you are new in general, or you just have a new profile, but domain forums do not dictate prices or what the 'price' of a domain is at all.

Truthfully, I wouldn't have sold the name for less than $5k to $10k, depending on the circumstances.

I'm a last name buyer myself, but mainly to resell left of the dot services.

You are 100% correct that nobody in the forums would buy the name for any more than $30 to $40 dollars. The amount of times I have sold a domain for thousands while offered $10 on forums is almost uncountable.

That however does not dictate the value of a domain, at all.

I recently sold a name for $10k that the best offer a forum community member could muster was $1500.

This easily could have been a six figure name if the buyer changed his chain of markets over to his his own name instead of using a brandable.

•••
Whatever you guys say. I know what real world names sell for. I have seen all of the scams. I also know that there has never been a case of a seasoned domainer ever selling a good to great domain at a fair price to any other domainer. The name of the game is to ROB someone with less knowledge.

I have sold a six figure name, and a number of 5 figure names. Many of you claim to be experts at getting over on the public, but in reality, you try to pull your garbage stunts on forums, as well, trying to offload your loser names to newcomers or those who are ignorant. It almost goes without saying that the crap most try to sell is just an attempt to pay some bills by reeling in a sucker. You wouldn't think of calling up, or emailing someone with real knowledge and trying to pass that crap on to them, because they would laugh you out of town.

Many people seem to think that they can register a name today that was unregistered yesterday, meaning that 7 billion people didn't want it, and then, because they own it, it is now worth five figures. I know more about domains than anyone on this board, and I could not care less about getting into a back and forth over how a guy sold a last name for 3K to a billionaire. Last names just don't sell for that amount. The exceptions you name only prove the rule. You guys believe that names are worth 100 times what any seasoned domainer would pay, and that just isn't the case. Many of you post your fake sales and try to get them published so people can then be fooled into believing that similar names are worth something. Smart people aren't fooled by those tricks.

Domainers are really not the cream of the crop. Right there with poker players, actually. Maybe a cut above poker players.

•••
"I also know that there has never been a case of a seasoned domainer ever selling a good to great domain at a fair price to any other domainer."

I LOLed.

But since the rest of your wrath is aimed at domainers, what exactly are you doing here?

•••
Whatever you guys say. I know what real world names sell for. I have seen all of the scams. I also know that there has never been a case of a seasoned domainer ever selling a good to great domain at a fair price to any other domainer. The name of the game is to ROB someone with less knowledge.

I have sold a six figure name, and a number of 5 figure names. Many of you claim to be experts at getting over on the public, but in reality, you try to pull your garbage stunts on forums, as well, trying to offload your loser names to newcomers or those who are ignorant. It almost goes without saying that the crap most try to sell is just an attempt to pay some bills by reeling in a sucker. You wouldn't think of calling up, or emailing someone with real knowledge and trying to pass that crap on to them, because they would laugh you out of town.

Many people seem to think that they can register a name today that was unregistered yesterday, meaning that 7 billion people didn't want it, and then, because they own it, it is now worth five figures. I know more about domains than anyone on this board, and I could not care less about getting into a back and forth over how a guy sold a last name for 3K to a billionaire. Last names just don't sell for that amount. The exceptions you name only prove the rule. You guys believe that names are worth 100 times what any seasoned domainer would pay, and that just isn't the case. Many of you post your fake sales and try to get them published so people can then be fooled into believing that similar names are worth something. Smart people aren't fooled by those tricks.

Domainers are really not the cream of the crop. Right there with poker players, actually. Maybe a cut above poker players.
You really are full of yourself. And most of your opinions, and they ARE just opinions, are crap.

Excellent deals to be had from other "seasoned" domainers are out there every single day.

There will always be a fair share of bad players and shady games, but that doesn't have to define domaining.

Last edited:
•••
So you're attacking domainers as a domainer and for some reason picking up on poker players too? Whats that got to do with anything?

•••
So you're attacking domainers as a domainer and for some reason picking up on poker players too? Whats that got to do with anything?
Maybe lost his arse at Texas Hold'Em.

•••
•••
What does @domaincandy think of this one?

FuckYourSelfies.com

lol

•••
•••
It doesn't matter. If people play the lottery, a few people will "succeed" even though their actions are not worthy of the good fortune that comes after they get lucky.

Domainers don't even know simple math. If I have a name that can fetch zero on the forums, but has a one in a thousand chance of getting a sale for 3K, then the value of that name is $3,000 divided by 1,000, which makes it a $3 name. That is assuming that you will either get 3K or zero.

Most people have absolute garbage that stands a one in a hundred chance of selling for a few hundred or so. If the name doesn't sell for a few hundred, then the name likely never sells. Those names are worth zero, even if one out of two hundred of the garbage names sells for $200 once in a while. You either get that concept or not. Probably 95 percent of people on forums have no idea how to factor in the odds of getting the sale, and they never account for the time spent in trying to get it.

To explain it better, imagine you are on a flight and your favorite celebrity sex symbol is on the flight. What are the odds that YOU are going to get a date? Well, in the domainers world, the value of that proposition is 100 percent, because they can give an example of some nobody at some point in history getting a date with a movie star or celebrity. Domainers take the best case scenario and then claim that is the value. They really have no understanding of what the hell they are talking about, and they are terrible businessmen and women as a whole, because great business people know that a good business is one in which you offer a product or service that you yourself would buy at that price. Domainers are offering dog shit that they would never buy for any price, and they expect people to pay their rent by offering up their loser names.

And that is why they will never be taken seriously as a group. You hardly ever hear a story of someone bragging about what a great deal they gave someone. They are always bragging about the brutal deal that they suckered someone into.

lPm9HYw.gif

•••
•••
LOL @ domaincandy

Clown of the fucken' town!!

•••
•••
I can shed some light on this for everyone. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That's just how any sales go. Ones mans trash is another mans treasure.

•••
I own many firstname, lastname, and firstnamelastname domains in my portfolio. From my experience, humans are very fond of using their own names as their "branding name" for their business. Whether it's a barbershop, a restaurant, or a consulting firm, they love to use their names. I have built many customer websites using names of people. It's very brandable.

And speaking of "brandable", it goes without saying that it would be very costly to speculate whether any human with the same name, will actually launch a business bearing his own name.

From a UDRP standpoint, sitting on domains named after famous people (just like what the guy in this article above did), will perhaps limit your negotiation to below the cost of a UDRP filing fee. So perhaps you can target the names of the board members who are not that famous anyway. But then again, they may not have any use for domain names, especially from a Domainer who is asking for boatloads of money.

I don't think any rich and famous, would make himself known, and cause price tags to rise tenfold. So it's not really "sneaky". It's the right thing to do to remain incognito, until the transaction is complete.

•••
There will always be a fair share of bad players and shady games, but that doesn't have to define domaining.
Actually, a certain percentage of humans are shady. Therefore, shady practices are happening in every kind of business.

I've been able to meet a lot of high-level business people, and domainers are some of the best.

I'm not counting the clueless spaminator noobs. They need to be educated or ostracized.

•••
I own a few domains of my own based on my name. I find using a first or last name with the term of what your business or hobby is about makes it feel not only more personal but has some pride and confidence to it as well.

•••
because great business people know that a good business is one in which you offer a product or service that you yourself would buy at that price.

I'm a domain reseller. If I sold domains for the same amount that I was willing to pay, I'm not sure how I could make a profit.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back