Dynadot

Social Media Noob

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I would like to bring some of my websites into the 21st Century by adding Social Media links to them. I have some noob questions. I want to join FaceBook, Twitter, G+, and LinkedIn. I have joined them all with a personal account.

So my first question is do I have to create pages under my personal account, or can I create my website names as individual accounts, for each of these social media accounts. After being only able to open up new pages on facebook under my personal account, and not being able to do this on Twitter, I'm a tad confused. Please reply for each social media platform, what I can or cannot do?

What name should I choose if my domain name username is taken? I noticed on FaceBook, where one of my domain names was taken, I had to reverse the keywords to get an available username, however the page title still showed the words in the correct order. Is this a good strategy, or is there a better one to use? And is this the best strategy for all social media platforms. Would a hyphen between the words be better than reversing them.

On my personal account on Facebook I have one Group, which I can post to via email. How do I post to each of these social media platforms? Can it be done by email, or do I have to login to each platform and write something unique to each platform. I presume it is a no-no to post the same info on each?

Are there other ways, other than posting unique content (ie reTweets, whatever they are) to get content on my social media accounts? Please post how this can be done for each social media platform.

What other strategies do you advise, to enhance my social media platform accounts? I presume having links to other accounts in that platform is the best way to do this? Are there any other methods to enhance your account?

Anything else I may have left out or should know about? Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I cant answer all your questions but I would advise you not to have "personal pages" that are business pages. Facebook can and does shut them down. If you have a "business page" using a "personal page". If you got personal page that is for business, you can convert it, so your friends on that page become likes.

My other advice would be dont spam your products on social media. Its social media, which means it is meant to be a two way convo which encourages engagement. Spamming your products will reduce engagement and likely put people off.

Sometimes you will find the page name you want has gone. The only alts here are to try and see if the original owner will let it go or to add words onto the name (such as online, or uk, or whatever fits really).

Good luck.

•••
I don't understand what you are saying about business and personal pages on facebook. Please explain in more detail.

I am not, and have never, proposed any kind of spamming.

So you would suggest keeping the words in the same order, not including any hyphens, but adding additional words onto the end of my domain name? But you haven't explained why this is better. Especially as, on facebook, the page title is completely different to the underlying page name, and facebook people only see the page title, and not the underlying page name. Or am I missing something. I'd appreciate a clearer explanation.

•••
I'm not saying you are, or would spam, I am simply saying when people first start on social media they have this natural assumption they should just constantly post their latest products on it and nothing else. Rather than that, business pages should engage, so ask questions, start debate etc.

You know when you set up your own personal page for your own personal use? That is not designed for businesses or organisations. If you have a website (whatever it is), then its best to not use a personal page.

Regarding the name, you are right. One is a url (facebook.com/businessname) the other is just a page name. Obviously get both as close to your own as possible, but sometimes its not possible in either way, so the advice would be get the next best closest match.

•••
Please point me to a facebook url which explains the difference between a personal and business page. Because, as I understand it, facebook want you to put your business page under your personal page and frown on you having separate login names. As I say, as I understand it. Hence the confusion I have.

•••
I would like to bring some of my websites into the 21st Century by adding Social Media links to them. I have some noob questions. I want to join FaceBook, Twitter, G+, and LinkedIn. I have joined them all with a personal account.

So my first question is do I have to create pages under my personal account, or can I create my website names as individual accounts, for each of these social media accounts. After being only able to open up new pages on facebook under my personal account, and not being able to do this on Twitter, I'm a tad confused. Please reply for each social media platform, what I can or cannot do?

Well, i'm not a social-media expert, but since i'm learning and working with them for a while, i would try to help you to understand what i had to understand.

I suggest you to not create individual accounts on Facebook for your websites, but create pages under your personal account. I also suggest you to create a "backup" individual account and add it as administrator of these pages.
With Facebook pages you don't have to add as friend to keep in touch with the "business", you just have to "like" it.
On Twitter there are no other ways to create a new account for each website.

I'm not much into Google+ or Linkedin, except for personal accounts, so i don't feel to give you advices about them

What name should I choose if my domain name username is taken? I noticed on FaceBook, where one of my domain names was taken, I had to reverse the keywords to get an available username, however the page title still showed the words in the correct order. Is this a good strategy, or is there a better one to use? And is this the best strategy for all social media platforms. Would a hyphen between the words be better than reversing them.

The name of your page into the facebook link is important or not, depends on how you set eventually AD marketing. Having it easy to remember and strictly related to your page is important, but not essential imho.
Like, if your site is called "Photography for newbies" and the exact link "facebook.com/photographyfornewbies" is already taken, you can use hyphens, of course, or use some kind of abbreviation (i.e. "photofornewbies") or even use different words but with the same meanings (i.e. "learningphotography", "photographyABC", "learnhowtophoto").
Also, if your domain is a brandable one, you should use it even for your page. Let's say your domain is photoo.com and your site is "Photography for Newbies", you should use "facebook.com/photoo" or "facebook.com/photoo.com" instead of the name of the website.

About Twitter, i would use same rules as for Facebook, but consider Twitter has a limit of 15 characters for the username/link, so if your website title is longer, you should find a shorter form.

On my personal account on Facebook I have one Group, which I can post to via email. How do I post to each of these social media platforms? Can it be done by email, or do I have to login to each platform and write something unique to each platform. I presume it is a no-no to post the same info on each?

There are several online services allowing you to manage many social network accounts from the same page. We're talking about paid services, from $10/mo. You can do anything from there, posting, following people, comment, adding people etc.

Are there other ways, other than posting unique content (ie reTweets, whatever they are) to get content on my social media accounts? Please post how this can be done for each social media platform.

I'm not sure i understood the question.

What other strategies do you advise, to enhance my social media platform accounts? I presume having links to other accounts in that platform is the best way to do this? Are there any other methods to enhance your account?

Anything else I may have left out or should know about? Thank you.

Don't spam and don't over-use them.
On a facebook page there shouldn't be more than 2 - 3 updates per day, as well as on Twitter.
Sometimes more if there are revelant news or important contents for the niche of your website.
If a facebook page starts to flood any fan wall with new contents, links, images etc, be sure they would unlike your page within 1-2 days or put it into the ignore list.
Same for Twitter.

•••
Let me try to clarify: On Facebook you create business PAGES under your PERSONAL account, not as separate accounts of their own. Only Facebook knows that you own the page - to the public nobody knows that your pages are associated with your personal account. To manage the page, log in to your account and select "manage pages." You can have as many pages under your account as you like, but only 1 account.

I also suggest you to create a "backup" individual account and add it as administrator of these pages.

Er ... don't get caught. You're only supposed to have ONE account. They get pissy if they catch you. You can make someone you know (friend or relative) a co-admin of your pages though, as long as they have their own account.

On Twitter you can set them all up as separate accounts. On G+ (and I think LinkedIn - its before coffee!) pages are created under your account, similar to FB.

What name should I choose if my domain name username is taken?
Use your own judgement. Whatever sounds best and would be easiest for people to remember - do the best you can.

On FB, you can't have a page name until you have 25 (?) followers, so bribe your friends, family, etc. to like the page so you can name it. You need 100 to see analytics data on FB.

How do I post to each of these social media platforms?

You can do it manually, there's also software like HootSuite which posts to multiple accounts, lets you schedule posts ... (google it to find others.) There are IFTTT recipes too (don't have time to go into that right now - google is your friend :) !). Perfectly OK to post the same thing to all, unless you think it will annoy your followers. Duplicate content between social platforms isn't an issue.

You can get followers by advertising on the platform (as long as its a niche where advertising is allowed - see their advertising terms for details). Facebook has awesome demographic targeting, and you can set your bids to as little as $1/day (though the default is $5)

Other suggestions - don't over-post and don't make every post a "pitch." - that's a good way to get people to "un-follow" you. Build rapport with your followers, post useful, interesting, entertaining things from various sources related to the topic and their interests. Answer comments and questions promptly.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back