IT.COM

Software/Design/Marketing Qs.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I had a couple of questions and because they were short, I figure toss them in the same post:

1) If I'm using a free software that does not require a link back, should I still link back? I ask because on one hand I feel guilty for using free software without giving credit, but on the other hand I have to wonder how much of an impact if any does free software disclamers have on public perception about a site?

2) My site is a forum and I adapted it so that the first page displayed recent posts and sections are displayed in a separate area. From a usability standpoint, is this a good idea? Should they both be on the same page?

Any tips and opinions with the above would be greatly appreciated! :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1) If I'm using a free software that does not require a link back, should I still link back? I ask because on one hand I feel guilty for using free software without giving credit, but on the other hand I have to wonder how much of an impact if any does free software disclamers have on public perception about a site?

It's your choice, but it would be best to have a link back to them; they worked hard for the project and that's the only thing that you could do in exchange for their hard work. :) I don't really mind free software disclaimers when I visit a site, it doesn't affect my view to the site at all. >.<

2) My site is a forum and I adapted it so that the first page displayed recent posts and sections are displayed in a separate area. From a usability standpoint, is this a good idea? Should they both be on the same page?

IMHO, having recent posts in the homepage IF your forum is active is a great idea but if not, it wouldn't really attract visitors.

If I'll see 1-4 posts in the threads displayed, I wouldn't have interest in joining at all. >.< depends on how you do things; how you draw visitors. How about make contests?

The sections could be displayed anywhere that is recognizable. Have it in the middle. :D

•••
Thanks!

Right now there is really no "posts" (just a couple people) until things get sorted out so the recent posts may not be super important... then again, I kind of wonder if things were REALLY busy.. how well it would serve its purpose? LOL

ANyway, I'm going to guess that the dates are what you mean by recent posts (in relation to the forum being busy) enticing or spooking away visitors? I was thinking about a post bot when the site is alive alive.

In the middle? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?! LOL

I'm keeping the software notice in, it just feels right to give credit where credit it due! I asked a couple friends about it and they said they don't really remember the last time they looked in the footer for anything other than twitter information.

Contests sound like a great idea, but for the moment I'm still trying to make sure things are working correctly. Just when you THINK you have everything figured out, something is always surprising me or overlooked =0\

Thanks again!

•••
In the middle? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?! LOL

[Banner]
[Navigation]
[Body which contains the Sections, maybe on the left side] <- middle
[Banner Ad]
[Footer]

:D

•••
LOL, I see now. I dunno why that [the sections in the middle] didn't click last night.

I have it that way (pretty much). Right now its:

[user menu / header ]
[sections navigation menu]
[banner area, shows join us now for now, unless logged in]
[ recent or sections overview ]
[footerrrr]

My problem atm is that the recent posts section shows how many each topic views but also shows each reply + their view count. Maybe the top level post should only be shown. <<< Me thinking out loud lol. I think I'll put the sections back to a more traditional appearance until that's figured out (and until the forum gets a busy).

Thanks for your input Janine! Even the simple things can get lost in noise, so your advice was more helpful than you realize I think =0D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back