IT.COM

discuss Someone Needs to Bring Chinese & non-Chinese markets together!

Spaceship
Watch

hugegrowth

DomainMedia.caTop Member
Impact
Somebody needs to build a domain market platform that makes it easy for Chinese and (for lack of better term) non-Chinese domain buyers and sellers to transact more efficiently.

Right now we have many domain platforms that are great for English/Spanish/French/German...etc users, and in China there are domain markets like 4.cn and 22.cn that are great for Chinese users (but not so great for outside China users). It also isn't very easy to find out what sales are happening in China, most of the sites that keep track of domain sales over there are not in English, when you are on these sites it's hard to know what you are looking at! I know many legacy domain sites are already trying to add Chinese and cater to Chinese customers, but I don't think we are anywhere close to a 'perfect' platform.

I see a spot in the domain industry for something like this, buying/selling/reporting in all languages, in an easy to use and understand setting.

Whoever can come up with an efficient, truly global domain market platform for all users will do very well!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good vision.I thought about this issue a while ago and my conclusion is: Namepros is the ideal place. It's the largest forum in the world, has an existing marketplace, and has both Chinese and English speaking members. The biggest issue I see in today's domain industry is the lack of a simple payment and domain transfer method. If everything can happen within a marketplace (payment & domain transfer), then domain investing will go mainstream.

•••
This is what I was thinking while browsing Chinese domain market places today. Forums are big issue as well. I couldn't register on Chinese domain forums because I didn't know the language and they required phone verification and didn't accept international numbers.

•••
I agree NP helps bridge the gap, but only so far. When you think about this issue it really shows how much growth still needs to happen in domain trading platforms to make them truly global. I'm sure it's being worked on somewhere.

Has to be easy to list a domain, buy a domain, and exchange funds all in one place, for buyers and sellers who don't speak the same language.

•••
Good vision.I thought about this issue a while ago and my conclusion is: Namepros is the ideal place. It's the largest forum in the world, has an existing marketplace, and has both Chinese and English speaking members. The biggest issue I see in today's domain industry is the lack of a simple payment and domain transfer method. If everything can happen within a marketplace (payment & domain transfer), then domain investing will go mainstream.

Exactly. That would be the best thing we could possibly have to maximize our success!

•••
Good post. I have been thinking about this for years. The Chinese sites you mentioned are very good at what they do but they have not leveraged the western market in any meaningful way. I have some ideas that I think would work to bridge this gap but it would require a forward-thinking analysis of the potential benefits which I do not think has been seriously considered by Chinese businessmen in the domain industry. There is a latent demand for cross-marketing which would benefit these sites, however, the cultural and language barriers are probably perceived as a real challenge.. I wish I could be granted one hour with a decision-maker at one of this sites- in my judgment, it is a win-win for the sites and domainers to lower the bar for meaningful participation by non-Chinese investors.

•••
When you think a lot of the Chinese domain trading websites are probably close to 100% Chinese users, without needing outside buyers/sellers to get the results they get, it shows how powerful their domain market is.

•••
This is how I see it. Inside China we have a very large pool of potential buyers. Outside China we have a very large pool of investors with very good domain names acquired over the years. What we need is a place for both of them to meet, without the problem of language.

•••
Indeed! We can see many people are thinking the same thing

•••
Great Idea and Good discussion by all friends. Need platform for sure. I was looking for something and it was available in China but didnt knew how to buy from there because when I checked whois info for the domain I was interested in it showed some email address at QQ.com but got failure delivery. No way to contact the owner without going through Chinese Selling platform like 4.cn or 22.cn or ename.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back