Dynadot

Someone Ripped My Site GRRRRR!

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
well im not quite sure what to do but i NEED advice about this.

Original: http://hostphase.ca
Ripped: http://free-webster.com

I know that this person rips a lot of peoples templates but if u look at the top where it says free webster u can even see where he ripped it and copy and pasted to put his logo LOL! god damnit this guy is a moron.

-Tyson

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Was it a free template, or a unique design? If it was a free template, or even any template for that matter, there is nothing you can do really. If you had it custom made, I smell a lawsuit.

Just my two cents.

•••
Yes, this is never a good experience for one to experience. You own 100% rights to the template and you're sure you haven't gave the rights to anyone else? If so, look up his WHOIS info to try to contact him. If he doesn't take it down, report it to appropriate abuse departments (ex, his domain registrar).

•••
I wouldn't bother going into legal action and spending that money. I'd just simply send an email to his upstream providers (hosting) and tell them that you're considering legal action. I'd also email him and tell him the same. Make it known that you're "thinking" about it and he'll get the message. Especially if an upstream provider gets a notice about it. This is all provided that you have 100% unique rights.

•••
if this is a free or paid template theres nothing you can do, if this is a cutom design that you own rights to then contact his hosting company. If you want to sue this guy and you own rights to this design, actually get it copyrighted* so you can nail them for copyright infringment(sp?)

*assuming you are like ~83% of webmasters who don't actually have a copyright but pretend by posting a false notice.

•••
•••
i bought it unique. and i have contacted him, the site aint working right now haha i think he got the idea but if its still there 2morow i will whois his info and call him up, if it gets that far i will contact hostdime (where he colo's at).

•••
It's up now. Make screenshots while you can ;)

•••
yes, the site is working, but there is also a chance that the designer was a fraud. so think and act well

•••
xyris said:
yes, the site is working, but there is also a chance that the designer was a fraud. so think and act well

Good call. This is certainly a problem these days. Dishonest programmers and designers are all over those freelance sites.

Exovian said:
If you had it custom made, I smell a lawsuit.

LOL. I doubt it. It'll cost a few thousands of dollars to sue a person over something like this and then another few thousand in time spent. Totally cost-prohibitive.

Last edited:
•••
how did you manage to find the ripped site?

•••
xyris said:

No he is not a fraud, if you look closely at the logo and he has just copyed and pasted the background to cover up my logo. also when i got the template it didnt have preload images so i did it myself and its in the source also. go look on free-webster.com. i am ready to call him up soon so i hope he takes it down.
PHP:
<body onLoad="MM_preloadImages

•••
My advice: note down some evidence you dont want to be stuck for words on the phone know what to say and give him a ring now!

•••
•••
wow, i wouldn't know what to think if it was mine and i saw it....

lucky that you found it though

•••
Did you even bother to read the site I posted for you to read?

You are making mistakes. You should NOT contact him. That just gives him notice. You can have him delisted on all the search engines as well as get his host to cancel his account.

GO READ THE LINK I SENT YOU.

•••
i am reading it right now.

so pretty much email HostDime and tell them that use of the copyrighted materials allegedly infringing web pages is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. anyone that knows more about this wanna draft somthing up i can work with i have never done this before lol.

thanx for all ur support guys i really appreciate it.

Last edited:
•••
I think at their site they link to examples of some stuff. I am sure they listed DMCA notices which I think is what you need to send.

•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
no, i dunno if i will now, labrocca has a point. i shouldnt give him a warning i should just start emailing out copyright infringment letters to HostDime and search engines.

also here is a conversation log with the designer that i just talked with.

Tyson says:
just a couple questions about the template i bought.

Tyson says:
i am just clarifying that i am the sole owner of the template and it was custom made for me, and u wont sell it again?

Designer says:
true

Last edited:
•••
And this designer can be trusted?

Let us know what HostDime said.

•••
If the designer isnt a fraud, then my friend you have a billion solutions to your problem at hand. Act wisely and you can legally do a compromising if he is willing to pay you some lumpsome or just report to the site host and get him kickked out

•••
its not the money i want its that i dont a site I PAIED for on someone elses site. if i wanted to be unorigional i coulda downloaded some crappy one from boxedart.com. i just hope that this gets settled fast cause i am pretty stressed about it lol.

and ya i do trust the designer, he has really good ratings and he's pretty cool he always askes me if i like new designs he makes etc.

-Tyson

•••
hmm, then you surely can take the legal way and get him kickked out from his host

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back