NameSilo

discuss Startup registered gtld of my .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DaVisionz

Established Member
Impact
I'm looking for advice after I identified that a startup for a new social media platform has now registered the .app gTLD that matches my .com (registered in 2005). I feel that if I reach out now, I'd be cutting my sales potential significantly, but worry if I wait too long that as a startup they may be insolvent. They launch their platform in April.

If I were in their position, I feel I would spend money on the front end to get my .com match given the popularity of the extension. But this situation, I've never been lucky enough to come across.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did you put a sales landing page for your domain?

•••
OP,

Generally this stage, they are bootstrapped. After they get funded, they aim for .com.

Nothing wrong in trying though, if you are desperate.

But as others said, put up a nice landing page.

•••
If you are in need of funds, reach out. Otherwise just hold on to the name and have it point to a landing page where they can easily make contact with you via making an offer. Assuming they are successful, the longer you wait the more valuable it becomes.

•••
Most of the times a domain registered in dot com is also registered in some other extensions. That itself signifies .com value. Now, if someone using gTLD instead of reaching out to the .com owner. It simply means they don't have the budget or are unaware of domain aftermarket. Reach out to them.

•••
I appreciate the feedback from all. At this point, I have a dan.com lander set up for make offer. I am not in need of the funds at this point so I will plan to watch their progress and hold the domain.

•••
What do you want for the name?

•••
they probably looked at your .com and went with the .app because of price.

•••
What do you want for the name?

It is a 5 letter, brandable, easily pronounced, word that also has a simple meaning in another language.

I had it listed for $14,500.00 but am open for negotiation.

•••
It is a 5 letter, brandable, easily pronounced, word that also has a simple meaning in another language.

I had it listed for $14,500.00 but am open for negotiation.

Did the startup raise any money? Do they have a team? Is the product they built advanced or some clone of something they got off ebay?

•••
Did the startup raise any money? Do they have a team? Is the product they built advanced or some clone of something they got off ebay?

I do not know if they have raised any money at this point. They do have a team defined with CEO, CTO, Designers, Developers and some advisors listed. It appears to be a ground up build for them.

•••
I do not know if they have raised any money at this point. They do have a team defined with CEO, CTO, Designers, Developers and some advisors listed. It appears to be a ground up build for them.

Set a price you want that you wont regret if they accept and reach out.

Most of these startups fail, I would create a buy now with 24 month pay option and reach out without any pitch, just, write this:

Hi

The domain ..... was just put up for sale. I am contacting all companies that could potentially benefit by acquiring this domain.

For more information please visit (link to domain)

Thank You
Your Name
Phone (optional but helps)

•••
Set a price you want that you wont regret if they accept and reach out.

Most of these startups fail, I would create a buy now with 24 month pay option and reach out without any pitch, just, write this:

Hi

The domain ..... was just put up for sale. I am contacting all companies that could potentially benefit by acquiring this domain.

For more information please visit (link to domain)

Thank You
Your Name
Phone (optional but helps)

I appreciate the recommendation and feedback!

•••
Popular does not always equate to better. Especially with the dot-app extension, personally I would prefer the matching example.app to exampleapp.com in particular to branding. The dot-com version might be nice to have as a forwarder, but I would keep the gTLD as the main site in pretty much any "app" domain name scenario. Way cleaner and professional looking.

Why do I say this? Because when unexciting keywords used in your brand and domain name, such as app, website, site, page, online, blog and the likes, the end result that users land on remove the unnecessary added length and visual detraction when shortened to the exact match with the new gTLD.

With a startup, they put lots of work into promoting via social media, and if the domain they've chosen is a raw name (never used before) the extension takes a backseat to the brand.

Good luck with it, maybe you can price the name at something attractive enough for the buyer to bite, else you may be holding still for a while to come. Popularity always has great potential, until something better and easier to acquire comes along, and it's possible in their eyes they may have found it.

•••
Popular does not always equate to better. Especially with the dot-app extension, personally I would prefer the matching example.app to exampleapp.com in particular to branding. The dot-com version might be nice to have as a forwarder, but I would keep the gTLD as the main site in pretty much any "app" domain name scenario. Way cleaner and professional looking.

Why do I say this? Because when unexciting keywords used in your brand and domain name, such as app, website, site, page, online, blog and the likes, the end result that users land on remove the unnecessary added length and visual detraction when shortened to the exact match with the new gTLD.

With a startup, they put lots of work into promoting via social media, and if the domain they've chosen is a raw name (never used before) the extension takes a backseat to the brand.

Good luck with it, maybe you can price the name at something attractive enough for the buyer to bite, else you may be holding still for a while to come. Popularity always has great potential, until something better and easier to acquire comes along, and it's possible in their eyes they may have found it.

my 5 letter domain is not an XXXXXapp.com, it is just the XXXXX.com. They have registered XXXXX.app

•••
Ahh.. well, that changes things. Thx for clarification.

•••
my 5 letter domain is not an XXXXXapp.com, it is just the XXXXX.com. They have registered XXXXX.app
Are many companies using this name? If yes, then maybe your best end-user is someone else. It is possible that the .app startup is totally happy with .app and don't feel any need to have .com. Fresh software companies made by younger generation seem to care much less about what tld to use. I agree with others that they might come and buy your .com when they got successful but it's not guaranteed.

•••
Are many companies using this name? If yes, then maybe your best end-user is someone else. It is possible that the .app startup is totally happy with .app and don't feel any need to have .com. Fresh software companies made by younger generation seem to care much less about what tld to use. I agree with others that they might come and buy your .com when they got successful but it's not guaranteed.

From what I've found, there are four other companies mainly in Europe that are using the name. One construction eqp manufacturer company and 3 boutique specialty stores.

I emailed a basic sales intro yesterday and received a threat back and a $196 offer to cover reg fees since 2005 (original registration date of domain). Could see a potential reverse domain hijack UDRP filing based on his attitude. Guess I'll be passing on that guy.

Last edited:
•••
From what I've found, there are four other companies mainly in Europe that are using the name. One construction eqp manufacturer company and 3 boutique specialty stores.

I emailed a basic sales intro yesterday and received a threat back and a $196 offer to cover reg fees since 2005 (original registration date of domain). Could see a potential reverse domain hijack UDRP filing based on his attitude. Guess I'll be passing on that guy.

If they are European companies and not striving to be international, they might be not highly interested in .com. In Europe, country codes are respected and considered enough.

It's hard to recommend anything without knowing the name but from what you said it looks like the best strategy is to just wait until someone inquires or clicks the BIN button. Or move it quickly on Namepros or another platform. Could be a viable solution if the name is good and you need some cash now.

•••

They're not actually in the wrong here for being upset with you. I would avoid making any direct contact with companies that are operating on the same name. Doing so could be seen as unethical and attempting to profit from their brand, which would look pretty bad if a UDRP filing were ever made for this name.

•••
Here is the Strategy, Rule number 1, Never approach them, Wait until they become bigger and have some revenue, and I'm sure 100% they will reach you, Because not owning the dot com version is a very bad mistake and it will cost them alot.

Last edited:
•••
Everyone here will give you different answers based on their own experiences. You'll never be able to determine who has the most experience in this matter and get an authoritative answer. That's the beauty and the curse of the internet.

So the best thing you can do is put yourself in the founder's shoes and play out all the scenarios objectively. Make a decision tree.
  1. If the founder understood the value of a .com domain, they would:
    1. Reach out to its current owner to inquire about it before committing to the name
    2. Use another name that had a .com domain available
    3. Wait until their business gained traction before spending money on it
  2. If the founder didn't understand the value of a .com domain, they would:
    1. Acquire the name in a different extension that was available
It seems like either scenario 1-3 or 2-1 played out in this case. Either way, the founder didn't seem interested in the .com right now. If and when they are, they'll probably reach out to you.

No matter what, a landing page with a BIN price always helps if you're looking to sell the domain. Based on my experience at least. :)

As @Joe Nichols pointed out, there could be severe legal consequences with reaching out to companies. But even if there weren't, put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself.. would you appreciate it if someone tried to sell you something that you weren't interested in especially if they tried to take advantage of your situation? It's kind of disrespectful in my opinion.

•••
Anyone who suggested the OP to reach out to the company... You're giving horrible advice.
Threat is all you're going to get!!
In what universe will that company not be aware that the .com version is for sale???( After having Dan sales lander)
Since they haven't reached out, they aren't interested right now!

•••
HOLD.

Do not contact them, it's a sign of desperation. If they grow they will buy the .com

•••
HOLD.

Do not contact them, it's a sign of desperation. If they grow they will buy the .com

OP wants to sell fast, from what I understood.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back