Domain Empire

The China domain name market is fluctuating and dangerous.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainMai

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,I'm a domain name investor from China,as you know,the domain name price has been rising like a rocket.Like premium 4L.com,In March,the price is about 100-150 dollars,now 2000 dollars is the lowest price.
In March,5L.com 6N.com 4L.net can be registered,but now the price can be more that ten times.
In the past months,The Chinese domain name investors are crazy,and many new invstors come inside.
But now and later,when the renew time is coming,the market will fll into the abyss.
So guys,pay attention to the danger.
Now I just buy premium 2L/3L .com/.net/.cn/.net and 4L.com ,because these are companies' first choice,but not the 5L/6L/7L/8L or other gltd ordinary internet users can't remeber.
I'm new here,I'd like to contact and cooperate with you guys:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Okay do names like g88g have any meaning?

•••
JBMC means genuine right?

•••
In that case wouldn't JBMCMPYLM = awesome have value?

•••
Okay do names like g88g have any meaning?
g88g no meaning.
we use China pinyin,not English word to explain the meaning,exacly different.

•••
g88g no meaning.
we use China pinyin,not English word to explain the meaning,exacly different.

How one can translate GCHGZ into chinese characters? Are there any online websites that can do it? Or it can't be done by software translators?

•••
How one can translate GCHGZ into chinese characters? Are there any online websites that can do it? Or it can't be done by software translators?
You can download a China pinyin inputer to see it.

•••
•••
•••
•••
The truth is, no one really knows when this bubble will burst...

And it will burst.

But when? 1 year? 2 years?

Like everything else, the top tier names will probably retain full or most value, where as the 'moderate' tier and 'low' tier could see demand slip away to almost zero.

Place your bets....

•••
3L(Letters) = 26 x 26 X 26 = 17,576
4L(Letters) = 26 x 26 x 26 x 26 = 456,976
5L(Letters) = 26 x 26 X 26 X 26 X 26 = 11,881,376

4N(Number) 10 X 10 X 10 X 10 = 10,000

4(L/N/H) = 37 X 37 X 37 X 37 = 1,874,161
5(L/N/H) = 37 X 37 X 37 X 37 X 37 = 69,343,957

Anything 5 isn't practical unless it's absolute premium or a one word domain.

for 5L it isn't 26x26x26x26x26 if you include premium letters only.

Without vowels and V it is 20x20x20x20x20= 3.2 Million

Let's say 1/10 does really make sense (320.000) These could be valuable over the long term but you would have to understand what your are buying which is hard if you are not Chinese.

•••
•••
The truth is, no one really knows when this bubble will burst...

And it will burst.

But when? 1 year? 2 years?

Like everything else, the top tier names will probably retain full or most value, where as the 'moderate' tier and 'low' tier could see demand slip away to almost zero.

Place your bets....
The domain ,may not be used, but now has a very high price, will be the first to burst,you can keep an eye on it,which can reflect the entire market.

•••

Let's say 1/10 does really make sense (320.000) These could be valuable over the long term but you would have to understand what your are buying which is hard if you are not Chinese.
Yes,even the Chinese investors,who batch reg ,can't have time to know the exact meaning.
That's speculation,not value investment.

•••
Yes,even the Chinese investors,who batch reg ,can't have time to know the exact meaning.
That's speculation,not value investment.

That could mean that eventually overly optimistic or reckless Chinese investors or western investors who don't understand what they are buying will buy the crap on the way down while the good ones will be held by the smart money. In the meantime end-user sales of the good names will make the headlines and create the impression that all 5L are equally valuable.

Last edited:
•••

I totally agree with you, but it still won't stop speculation buying. All the 4L were hand registered and I bet a good portion of them don't mean anything. Regardless, anyone will pay you above and beyond the original hand registered amount, but it's a varying range. There's also the supply/demand factor mixed in with hype. If every domainer on here was buying a certain type of name/number, the crowds will follow. This is human nature.

Some posters are predicting doom and gloom next year on renewals, I don't see it with the numbers because they are straight forward to understand and hold more value over letters(in my opinion). Also, there are way less number domains to choose from compared to word domains. That brings up another relating point, the 4's and 0's are suppose to be bad numbers, yet that didn't stop domainers from buying them.

•••
That could mean that eventually overly optimistic or reckless Chinese investors or western investors who don't understand what they are buying will buy the crap on the way down while the good ones will be held by the smart money. In the meantime end-user sales of the good names will make the headlines and create the impression that all 5L are equally valuable.

I have always said this, only buy 5L with meaning. Random letters, pattern or no pattern will leave a lot of people out of the loop when this frenzy comes full circle.

•••
@DomainMai Thank you for sharing the views. Please keep the news coming from East.

To people saying its only a bubble, of course its a bubble and it will burst at some point. Thats how any market works. Its normal behavior before it finds the new floor and continue sideways until next bubble.

•••

Good example of wishful thinking.
Back in 2007-2008 LLL.com were going for 7-8K. 2 years after in 2010 they were easily available at 3-4K with little interest.
If prices will go down ir will affect everything..
Someone who invested in 5L may loose 1000$ they used to buy 100 names.
Someone who owns LLL.com will lose virtual 20-30K, when price of LLL.com will go down from 30-50K.

•••
Good example of wishful thinking.
Back in 2007-2008 LLL.com were going for 7-8K. 2 years after in 2010 they were easily available at 3-4K with little interest.
If prices will go down ir will affect everything..
Someone who invested in 5L may loose 1000$ they used to buy 100 names.
Someone who owns LLL.com will lose virtual 20-30K, when price of LLL.com will go down from 30-50K.
I highly doubt LLL.com price goes down ever. But if that happen, owner of few LLL.com can wait for years and another opportunity at expenses of renewal fee. It is not a case for a owner of 100 5l names.

•••
I highly doubt LLL.com price goes down ever. But if that happen, owner of few LLL.com can wait for years and another opportunity at expenses of renewal fee. It is not a case for a owner of 100 5l names.
I'd say more, not just "can wait", but will be forced to do so, especially if they bought those LLL.com for 30K recently.
As for 5L owners they will loose small money they invested and move on. LLL.com owners from 2008 spent 7 long years waiting for the prices just to get back to 2007 levels and missed all other investment opportunities at this time.
It's easier to make decision not to renew 100 5L's then to sell LLL.com at 15K loss.

•••
I agree partly, but don't forget that you do not tie all your money in your LLL.coms. In the era of further internet expansion 3L is gold.

•••
I agree partly, but don't forget that you do not tie all your money in your LLL.coms. In the era of further internet expansion 3L is gold.
I din't tie my money in LLL.com for few reasons:
1. I like diversification
2. When I started investing the idea of buying just 1 domain for big money was too risky to consider.
3. As conservative protecting investment LLL.com is better than LLLL.com and other assets. You can call it blue chips of domain market, but when the whole market grow intensively, mid-caps and growth stocks outperforms blue chips. And pink sheets are flying through the roof.

•••
•••
Let me get this straight. Folks around the world are gobbling NNNNNN's due to high demand in China anticipating to sell them to the Chinese one day, while the Chinese
are asleep now and will pay huge prices later. LMAO.

The fool and his money deserve to be parted.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back