Domain Empire
Spaceship
Watch

McDuke

Top Member
Impact
Tired of annoying web extensions?

Wish it was a .com only world?

Feeling negative, cynical, grumpy, or you just want to join the fun?

Well here is the place for you.

The I Hate gTLD's Thread

pitchforks-torches-mob.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think that's the problem with the back and forth, some of the stuff MJ is saying is not wrong, but its not what people here are interested in, the purpose for discussion here about domain names is how to make money as domain investor/ developer, what will be good for the registry is an important conversation, but not in 100 threads.

Someone who has a kiosk in their local shopping mall cares about the traffic and can they make money each month, someone telling them don't worry the company that owns the mall, they are doing great, cashflow is through the roof does not help pay their bills. If the mall operator were in trouble that would be a concern, because the kiosk owner may have to find a new place if the mall closed, but shy of that on a day to day basis their focus is can they sell their product at their kiosk. its a micro concern, not a macro.

So it just seems you are really a tld hobbyist, you don't make a living or even a decent part time income buying and selling domains, you just like to discuss the naming system changing with people who are making or trying to make an income with domain names. There is nothing wrong with conversation but I would say we just have new threads develop every few days saying the same thing.

So the net is changing by offering more choice, ok, everything is changing, most people are concerned in their business or career how to earn a living based on those changes, how to increase profit and reduce risk, not just have a philosophical conversation.

Scandiman to answer your question, ICANN has put in place the EBERO program

An important innovation of the New gTLD Program, the establishment of emergency back-end registry operators, or EBEROs, mitigates risks to the stability and security of the Domain Name System in the event a new TLD operator fails.

Emergency back-end registry operators are temporarily activated if a TLD registry operator is at risk of failing to sustain the five critical registry functions. These functions are:

DNS resolution for registered domain names
Operation of Shared Registration System
Operation of Whois service
Registry data escrow deposits
Maintenance of a properly signed zone in accordance with DNSSEC requirements

EBEROs are limited in the services they can provide. For example, EBEROs will not provide any additional services that a TLD operator may have offered its customers, such as web hosting or network analytics.

The currently contracted organizations met stringent technical requirements and demonstrated years of experience in operating domain name services, registration data directory services and extensible provisioning protocol services.

http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registries/ebero

I have also been told there are plenty of Vulture funds sitting on the sidelines, people who did not apply for an extension but let's say not that I am wishing them failure, but Dot Luxury coming out $799 to register and renewals $799, All registries had to put up 3 years working capital so after that they cannot make money, and want out, Another registry like Donuts could come in and pick it up and if more than one wants it, there would possibly be an auction to the highest bidder.

•••
i don't think anyone 'hates' any domain extension but the foolish excitement about the future of these things is highly naive.

•••
I hate propaganda. I hate extortion. And I hate waste.

There's a lot of all 3 associated with the new vanity extensions.

But I don't hate the extensions as such. I've always bought and sold domains in all sorts of extensions -- from .COM / .NET / .ORG to various ccTLDs to .ME / .TV / .DJ / .FM / etc. There are opportunities among the new extensions ... even if mainly we're seeing propaganda, extortion, and waste.

So let's stick to just hating those things:

propaganda
extortion
waste

If we can educate novice domainers so that they make better choices, then everybody benefits. Even if they're determined to make risky bets on nTLD domains that cost more, sell for less, and sell less frequently ... we can still steer folks toward better domains than much of the crap being registered. If one domainer makes money, then he has more money to spend buying from us other domainers. And if that domainer throws his money away, then we end up with auctions getting no bids because domainers are all poor from buying garbage from the registries.

•••
TOP SECRET ICANN GTLD GENERATOR -- EXPOSED!!

tumblr_mfg0t6k5Gi1qg39ewo1_500.gif

•••
Not to be pedantic.

But .com is a gTLD

•••
OMNOMNOM.DOMAINS

meatballs_hot_dog_eating.gif

Every gTLD is a surefire wiener

Last edited:
•••
I just joined Namepros. Although, I have been in the industry for years I focused more on the Hosting infrastructure side. Hopefully I can provide some counter arguments as to why the gTLDs should at least not be ignored.

I believe that .com will rule along with the cctlds. Lets just agree up front that there is no comparison. Smartphone.com is going to be worth a lot more than smartphone.club or smartphone.guru at least in our lifetime. That being said, smartphone.com may cost 500,000 while smartphone.guru might go for a few thousand dollars. Is there a business around either of these names (which I think is the true test). I actually think you could build a business around any of these names. Fundamentally, when the .COM is not available or to expensive to acquire, the next best alternative will be a new gTLD that has meaning that can work with the concept one is trying to launch.

Colin Campbell
CEO, .CLUB.

•••
Did you see what happened to .mobi or .biz these new extensions are a complete failure! bunch of dumb a55 sheep buying em up thinking they could have a business on one LOL, what are they thinking. registering buy.shoes and finance.company what complete morons who would want those.

Not sheep but ..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOs8MaR1YM

If we can educate novice domainers so that they make better choices, then everybody benefits. Even if they're determined to make risky bets on nTLD domains that cost more, sell for less, and sell less frequently ... we can still steer folks toward better domains than much of the crap being registered. If one domainer makes money, then he has more money to spend buying from us other domainers. And if that domainer throws his money away, then we end up with auctions getting no bids because domainers are all poor from buying garbage from the registries.

I think there could be a benefit, maybe they should be pushed even more towards the new ones. If they aren't spending money on new ones, they could be in auctions actually bidding on decent names, driving the prices up. So I think this might be a good thing for me, these new gtlds can keep them occupied elsewhere. I think instead of waiting for general availability/reg fee, they should go early and go hard, pay the 4 figures and get that premium new gtld. Something you can cherish in your collection for 10-15 years, when they'll start to take hold, and move the world. You don't need to pay that utility bill, go old school, like Tom Hanks, discover fire, vintage living.

Last edited:
•••
I don't hate the new TLDs but consider them extremely risky. The most logical keywords which fit an extension aren't being sold for $10 with $10 renewals so this is not the second coming of .COM. If you have any domains in alt TLDs take a look at who owns the .COM and in many cases it is another domain investor. So if the .COM, .Net, .Org, .Info, .TV, .CO are all held by investors, what does that say about the end user demand for all these domains. End users will often go with a two or three or four word or creative .COM rather than pay for an aftermarket domain. So why or when are they going to change their view. They aren't going to be buying an aftermarket .XYZ or .GURU over a .COM. OK so maybe the .COM is outside their budget but there will be too many other available options for a currently unknown extension to command a premium price.

Then you have the issue of the best keywords being reserved or being sold off sometimes for a few thousand dollars with premium renewals to boot. Where's the upside?

Then look at the portfolios of the top domain investors including those launching these new registries - close to 90% .COM, maybe 5-10% .Net / .Org and no more than 1% anything else. So why should other domain investors have more than 1% in these new extensions which may take a decade or more before a meaningful aftermarket develops?

•••
I don't hate the new TLDs but consider them extremely risky. The most logical keywords which fit an extension aren't being sold for $10 with $10 renewals so this is not the second coming of .COM. If you have any domains in alt TLDs take a look at who owns the .COM and in many cases it is another domain investor. So if the .COM, .Net, .Org, .Info, .TV, .CO are all held by investors, what does that say about the end user demand for all these domains. End users will often go with a two or three or four word or creative .COM rather than pay for an aftermarket domain. So why or when are they going to change their view. They aren't going to be buying an aftermarket .XYZ or .GURU over a .COM. OK so maybe the .COM is outside their budget but there will be too many other available options for a currently unknown extension to command a premium price.

Then you have the issue of the best keywords being reserved or being sold off sometimes for a few thousand dollars with premium renewals to boot. Where's the upside?

Then look at the portfolios of the top domain investors including those launching these new registries - close to 90% .COM, maybe 5-10% .Net / .Org and no more than 1% anything else. So why should other domain investors have more than 1% in these new extensions which may take a decade or more before a meaningful aftermarket develops?

Well stated!!!! nTLDs are not going to make bank for domainers.
There will be some D2D sales, but the enduser interested in dev has too many options out there to pay a premium price.

But... good luck to those investing. Keep in mind, some people promoting these have their own agenda, as we all do.

Peace,
Cy

•••
I don't really understand the excitement because these names are nothing more than domain hacks for the most part. The novelty will quickly fade away.
Sales to end users... forget the idea. It's already hard enough to sell good .com.

And I think there is a lack of research exemplified in the showcase threads, people buy domain keyword.tld when keywordtld.com is still available.

What we have now is more opportunities for domainers to gamble and lose money.
So don't be so quick to depict skeptics as 'haters' :xf.love:

•••
There were 185 new gTLDs on Irish webhoster DNSes this morning. There were over 330K other gTLD domains on these hosters. This pattern is being repeated across many countries. .BERLIN may overtake .GURU in the next week. Daily growth on some new gTLDs is in the hundreds of domains not thousands. Some are not even breaking a hundred a day.

Regards...jmcc

•••
my one and only possible reg is to make one of the existing .com shorter.

My prediction is after people pick up and start to try to develop on the new extensions they will soon be seeking the .com... (I would... I wouldn't bother developing a new project without the .com) so keep your blog, forum, and other common .com's and wait for the offers to come in. now that's a smart way of investing.

•••
Finally, someone had the balls to say what they truly feel inside. That's a sudden change of heart. :laugh:

I guess we will see the new gTLD "domainers" in this thread in a years time.

"For only they could ever bear so much hate" - 3D

Last edited:
•••
How fkn dare anyone out there make fun of new gTLD's!

They go thru Sunrise, Early Access and now General Availability.

All you people care about is….. readers and making money off of them.

ITS NEW GTLD's! (ah! ooh!) What you don’t realize is that new gTLD's is making you all this money and all you do is write a bunch of crap about them.

They haven't been around in years. They come out and all you people want is MORE! MORE-MORE, MORE: MORE!.

LEAVE NEW gTLD's ALONE! You are lucky they're even available for you BASTARDS!
LEAVE NEW gTLD's ALONE!…..Please.

Speaking of professionalism, when is it professional to publicly bash a new gTLD who is going through a hard time.

Leave new gTLD's Alone Please…. !
Leave new gTLD's alone!…right now!….I mean it.!

Anyone that has a problem with new gTLD's you deal with me, because new gTLD's is not well right now. But they're going to change the world, just you wait and see you bastards. THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE!

LEAVE NEW gTLD's ALONE!

We need somebody to do a new gtld remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

Last edited:
•••
•••
how gTLD got her groove back... theres only one person that would tag a thread with such a thing..

hey, maybe someone should start a gTLD forum where everyone who agrees about gTLD could join... sounds like a unique idea right?

You mean like Gerry and the Mobi Dicks did?
How did that work out? :D

Peace,
Cy

•••
didnt really make money - just managed not to lose any. now if i would have stayed away from the aftermarket .mobi it would have been pretty profitable. lost thousands on what seemed like good deals at the time...

a lesson for the pure "gTLD domainers" - ones that arnt bullshitting about fake development plans... you guys think stuff is cheap now? its almost inevitable it is going to drop waaayyyy further.. it happened with .mobi and that was when only a handful of "other" TLD were introduced into the market. just be patient and single letter gTLD will be had for less than $50 some places. not recommending anyone buy them thinking its a good deal necessarily but unless the amount of domainers buying these increase 100x the current prices arnt sustainable and will drop lower..

•••
the registries do.

my point is that its easy to have a 'oh well, they're just website addresses' attitude when you have nothing riding on it. people like myself who do rely 100% on income from selling domains are trying to figure out what to change (if anything) with the introduction of these new gtlds. Do i spend thousands on them and take the risk knowing i probably won't be able to sell them for a good profit for a number of years, if ever? do i avoid them altogether and risk possibly missing out on what might be valuable in the future? its hard to say but how i provide for my family rides on it.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Let's not forget what the median sales price of a non-.COM is at SEDO - around $500 or so - less after commission - less after years of renewals. Imagine if your upfront cost is a few hundred and renewals are a whole lot more than .COM renewals, how do you make money? What if you don't sell 100% of these domains and have to drop some? The average portfolio turnover in the industry is 1-2%. The math just doesn't work on these new TLDs unless there is a phenomenal change in end user demand for aftermarket domains. If so, anyone holding decent domains in existing extensions should still do OK - so why take risks that seem to only favor the registrars?

A huge chunk of registries' revenue is coming from domainers who aren't thinking things through.

It's very easy to get caught up in the hype. Domainer blogs have been obsessed with these new extensions for some time, and the propaganda has been pretty high pitched in 2014.

But that hype is just for domainers. Outside domainer circles, the status quo is pretty much as it ever was. Few businesses care about these new TLDs. They have businesses to run, and they mosstly aren't interested in buying domains period. When a few of them do buy domains, they continue to favor the established extensions they and their audiences use on a daily basis -- as the sales charts show.

Even if consumer behavior begins to shift in 2015 or later, it won't be enough to salvage most domainers' expenses. The public doesn't have the same ravenous appetite for buying domains that domainers have. End user purchases are slow ... too slow to make most of these nTLD domains -- even the good ones -- profitable investments.

•••
I recall in 2007 I was with my wife (then girlfriend) on a speedboat tour which boarded from downtown Miami and rode around some of the neighboring islands. From the boat I could count fifteen high-rise construction cranes building condos in downtown Miami. That was the height of the real estate bubble and a few years later real estate prices in Miami had plummeted about 50%.

What percentage of one and two-word domains in .COM, .Net are held by investors? Who knows? But seriously, research several commerce-related keywords and see how many .COM, .Net, etc domains for that keyword are held by investors. Now if those domains have not sold to end users, how is offering 500 additional options going to create end user demand for the new ones at prices where an investor can afford to investors hundreds or thousands and still make a decent return?

as a domain investor, you probably cant.

thats why registries are the new domainers - they cut out the traditional domainer. thats where a lot of the attitude of people on this forum comes from... being pissed they cant register these for $8 and that the registry is charging $300/year..

so people compile lists and go HA! look! this registry only sold 2,000 registrations... hardy har har how pathetic. its only pathetic because the money isnt going in their pocket. like donuts.co registry for example... even selling 2 domains per TLD at the early access $12,500 price knocks out like what, 1/8th of their application fee of 185k! for 2 domains they get close to 25k! then take all the ones people register at $1,200, $700, $300 and even $150... it adds up pretty quick.

but as a domainer theres WAY WAY too many combinations to snatch up even if you were able to grab the super duper premium at $8/year... with this many combinations the hope of flipping them seems slim to me.

but people laughing at TLD's with "only" 5,000 registrations... ummm, duh. not sure what people expected with a bajillion niche extensions... it makes sense. a lot of these extensions wernt meant to have 500,000 registrations. its time to throw away the old calculator and enter the new realm of unknown.

Last edited:
•••
as a domain investor, you probably cant.

thats why registries are the new domainers - they cut out the traditional domainer. thats where a lot of the attitude of people on this forum comes from... being pissed they cant register these for $8 and that the registry is charging $300/year..

so people compile lists and go HA! look! this registry only sold 2,000 registrations... hardy har har how pathetic. its only pathetic because the money isnt going in their pocket. like donuts.co registry for example... even selling 2 domains per TLD knocks out like what, 1/8th of their application fee of 185k! for 2 domains they get close to 25k! then take all the ones people register at $1,200, $700, $300 and even $150... it adds up pretty quick.

but as a domainer theres WAY WAY too many combinations to snatch up even if you were able to grab the super duper premium at $8/year... with this many combinations the hope of flipping them seems slim to me.

but people laughing at TLD's with "only" 5,000 registrations... ummm, duh. not sure what people expected with a bajillion niche extensions... it makes sense. a lot of these extensions wernt meant to have 500,000 registrations. its time to throw away the old calculator and enter the new realm of unknown.
I can honestly say I cannot understand the fascination that seems to be currently attached to these new extensions. The endless and redundant discussions about their purported merits (or not) have already become tiresome. Today I scanned the gTLD forum and found myself shocked to see .MENU, yes I'd seen it before but I'd already forgotten its existence. Similarly, so many of these are forgettable. They are far too niche. Others will refute this of course. Sometimes I resist change. But with this massive influx I don't see change, I don't even see innovation. Who cares what I see or what I think. Way back when I lost my shirt with .cc domains, because I was stupid. I'm still stupid, but I also see history being repeated, and a whole lot of folks are going to lose their shirts. Big time. Innovation be damned.

•••
slow down folks ……you have the rest of your life to hate all these new fandaggled gtld's

•••
slow down folks ……you have the rest of your life to hate all these new fandaggled gtld's

yup everyone is suffering from asymmetric insight :D

There is no right, no wrong, just actions that time will either reward or make a domainer feel like they have a fork stuck in their eye.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back