IT.COM

This is How Google Handles New Top Level Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
With the coming of many new generic top level domains (gTLDs), Google would like to give some insight into how these are handled in Google's search.

Here is the complete list of questions published by Google:

Q: How will new gTLDs affect search? Is Google changing the search algorithm to favor these TLDs? How important are they really in search?

Q: What about IDN TLDs such as .みんな? Can Googlebot crawl and index them, so that they can be used in search?

Q: Will a .BRAND TLD be given any more or less weight than a .com?

Q: How are the new region or city TLDs (like .london or .bayern) handled?

Q: What about real ccTLDs (country code top-level domains) : will Google favor ccTLDs (like .uk, .ae, etc.) as a local domain for people searching in those countries?

Q: Will Google support my SEO efforts to move my domain from .com to a new TLD? How do I move my website without losing any search ranking or history?

Find all the answers in this article published on Official Google Webmaster Central Blog

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Look at coffee.club and decide how Google handles well developed new gTLD sites!

•••
•••
It's ranked number one for the search term 'coffee club'

•••
It would be ranking the same if it was coffeeclub.ws or cclub.whatever if that's all you care about. So what have we learned or should have learned by now in 2015? That you can rank with any extension. This one happens to be run by coffee.org and also has an affiliate program (coffee.club) at Linkshare.

"Overall, our systems treat new gTLDs like other gTLDs (like .com & .org). Keywords in a TLD do not give any advantage or disadvantage in search."

•••
So what have we learned or should have learned by now in 2015? That you can rank with any extension.
Exactly. So, that being said...

Assuming that both are available and not being used, would you spend $50K on a single word .COM or $1K on the same single word .WHATEVER?

•••
Exactly. So, that being said...

Would you spend $50K on a single word .COM or $1K on the same single word .WHATEVER?

Ah, not this argument again. You're still thinking SERPS only. You guys always use some big number for .com. How about a $3k .com vs. $1k .whatever, why always 50k or 100k. That's just repeating marketing nonsense being shoveled to you by people trying to sell you new gtlds. I go .com because I think long term and know it has built in trust, know it's going to get more clicks in the natural SERPS, PPC etc. and all the offline marketing advantages I mentioned in some other thread.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-death-of-domaining.870030/page-2#post-4942441

•••
•••
•••
coffee.com for 3k? When chipmonks fly.

•••
That's false.

hotdog.com 150,000 USD 2015-05-26 Flippa
goliath.com 60,000 USD 2015-03-30 Flippa
import.com 66,000 USD 2015-03-29 Heritage Auctions
classic.com 172,500 USD 2015-03-01 Heritage Auctions
buying.com 69,200 USD 2015-02-18 NameJet
rangers.com 375,000 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales
amber.com 180,000 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales
senator.com 70,000 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales
chores.com 59,000 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales
unravel.com 47,500 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales

•••
Look at coffee.club and decide how Google handles well developed new gTLD sites!

They rank for "coffee club" because they have over 5000 back links and most of them have "coffee.club" "coffee club" or some permutation as the anchor text. They also brand on it heavily in the site content.

(BTW, there's another discussion on this in the SEO and Search Engines section.)

Last edited:
•••
hotdog.com 150,000 USD 2015-05-26 Flippa
goliath.com 60,000 USD 2015-03-30 Flippa
import.com 66,000 USD 2015-03-29 Heritage Auctions
classic.com 172,500 USD 2015-03-01 Heritage Auctions
buying.com 69,200 USD 2015-02-18 NameJet
rangers.com 375,000 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales
amber.com 180,000 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales
senator.com 70,000 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales
chores.com 59,000 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales
unravel.com 47,500 USD 2015-02-08 DomainNameSales

You picked the bigger sales to try to make a point when 1 domain blog posts all the end users sales usually for just a few thousand.

coffee.com for 3k? When chipmonks fly.

Nobody said that.

Oh, wait single word. Get 2 words then.

•••
You picked the bigger sales to try to make a point when 1 domain blog posts all the end users sales usually for just a few thousand.

Nobody said that.
No I did not. I searched chronologically and weeded out the non-dictionary words to give you 10 examples.

Last edited:
•••
No I did not. I searched chronologically and weeded out the non-dictionary words to give you 10 examples.

Even with that, if you're a real company, you pay for the .com, long term it saves you money and it's more versatile. Reasons linked to above. If you're just somebody who only thinks search engines and nothing else, not that serious, then get the cheapest.

•••
Even with that, if you're a real company, you pay for the .com, long term it saves you money and it's more versatile. Reasons linked to above.
Ok, that answer is fine. But saying that single dictionary .COMs are going for $3K is absurd.

•••
Ok, that answer is fine. But saying that single dictionary .COMs are going for $3K is absurd.

No, it's not. I've bought them before for much less, mentioned in another thread. Depends on the keyword. Of course your example above was 50k and focusing on just one word. You can get 1 words for much less than 50k, you can get 2 or more words for a few thousand or less. And the reason why you would spend more, you agreed with or at least thought the answer was fine.

Plus, coffee club is 2 words anyway. Those single word .whatevers (the niche ones) would be 2 words in a .com.

Last edited:
•••
How about a $3k .com vs. $1k .whatever, why always 50k or 100k. T
3K .com vs 1K .whatever? I don't remember anyone selling a 1K worth of nGtld combination for 3K in .com
What I meant is
If buy.gold costs 1K BuyGold.com will not be available for 3K.

•••
This is the comment posted in that article by John Muller who is the author of this post:

Somewhat simplified: if you spot a domain name on a new TLD that you really like, you're keen on using it for longer, and understand there's no magical SEO bonus, then go for it :).

So, there is no SEO bonus, but Google treats ngtlds same as .com This is more than enough for me. Google is supporting new gTlds.

•••
3K .com vs 1K .whatever? I don't remember anyone selling a 1K worth of nGtld combination for 3K in .com
What I meant is
If buy.gold costs 1K BuyGold.com will not be available for 3K.

You meant what, where? This is the first time you're posting in this thread. 3k was just some random number I picked, it could be anything, for sure under 50k. Let me give you another real example, and since a .club was mentioned earlier, let's go with that. underwear.club at GoDaddy is listed for $4,999.99. I have the .com in that, underwearclub . com and I paid less than $500 for it, less than 10%.

Also, think about what I posted in my last post:

"Plus, coffee club is 2 words anyway. Those single word .whatevers (the niche ones) would be 2 words in a .com."

diamonds.today, in a .com would be 2 words, diamondstoday.com. So yes, you can can get all kinds of good .coms for a few thousand or less, doesn't have to be some 50k or 100k. That people think you can get good .coms, tells me you aren't active in the aftermarket.

•••
Let me give you another real example, and since a .club was mentioned earlier, let's go with that. underwear.club at GoDaddy is listed for $4,999.99. I have the .com in that, underwearclub . com and I paid less than $500 for it, less than 10%.

This is apples to oranges. "underwear club" is not a single dictionary word...it's 2 words.

•••
This is apples to oranges. "underwear club" is not a single dictionary word...it's 2 words.

coffee is one word
underwear is one word

coffee.club = you would say 1 world
underwear.club = you would say 1 world

coffeeclub.com = 2 words
underwearclub.com = 2 words

You're just reiterating what I said:

"Plus, coffee club is 2 words anyway. Those single word .whatevers (the niche ones) would be 2 words in a .com."

It's your example above that doesn't hold up:

"Assuming that both are available and not being used, would you spend $50K on a single word .COM or $1K on the same single word .WHATEVER?"

A single word .whatever wouldn't be a single word .com, it would be 2 words. Not in this case using .club or any other niche extension. If you said .xyz, or some neutral extension, then it would be 1 word to 1 word.

Let me ask you a question. Are you active at all at Namejet or Snapnames?

•••
coffee is one word
underwear is one word

coffee.club
underwear.club

coffeeclub.com = 2 words
underwearclub.com = 2 words

You said you can get single dictionary words for under $50k, then referenced a purchase of a 2 word .COM for $500. My original questions was:

Assuming that both are available and not being used, would you spend $50K on a single word .COM or $1K on the same single word .WHATEVER?

By the logic you're using (coffee.club is 2 words), there is no such thing as a single dictionary gTLD. However, I think you knew what I was talking about, which was a single word SLD. (i.e. "coffee" in coffee.club).

Coffee.Club is widely accepted as a single dictionary word domain.
CoffeClub.com is not a single dictionary word domain.

So, to clear it up, I'll revise my original question...

If you are a startup and can easily purchase "nfc.site" for $1,000 or have to put a serious dent in your funding and spend $77,952 (actual selling price) on "nfc.com" - which do you go with?

•••
Forget all what you heard about SEO from Google and open your eyes to see what really matters.

Relevant quality content, relevant quality content, relevant quality content, relevant quality content, bla bla bla. BS!!! Algorithm is not a human and it will never know what is relevant quality content.
Imagine this: I had a dream about shark. I make a website about my dream and I put keyword "shark" on all important places. I write a tons of text. I create a tons of backlinks. I buy Shark.com.
Would that be relevant quality content in the eyes of those who type "shark" in Google?????? Of course not, but it will be for Google and it will be on the first position. Thats Google!

•••
Forget all what you heard about SEO from Google and open your eyes to see what really matters.

Relevant quality content, relevant quality content, relevant quality content, relevant quality content, bla bla bla. BS!!! Algorithm is not a human and it will never know what is relevant quality content.
Imagine this: I had a dream about shark. I make a website about my dream and I put keyword "shark" on all important places. I write a tons of text. I create a tons of backlinks. I buy Shark.com.
Would that be relevant quality content in the eyes of those who type "shark" in Google?????? Of course not, but it will be for Google and it will be on the first position. Thats Google!

Shhh! If you tell people that secret, we have no market. :P

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back