IT.COM

information Three word .COM BabyAndBeyond.com had been sold for $350 000

Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Could the purchasers have pursued a UDRP for this name? Could you argue the "and beyond" suffix is to similar to the Bed Bath and Beyond brand or were the intellectual rights not part of the asset sale?

•••
I doubt Captain Kirk would ever allow "and beyond" to be in the individual reach of just one entity

•••
I doubt Captain Kirk would ever allow "and beyond" to be in the individual reach of just one entity
Buzz Lightyear maybe. I don't think it's "beyond" the realms of possibility.

When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of Bed Bath and Beyond before I even knew there was any actual association and I'm from the UK like you (where they didn't even have a presence) so I don't think it's crazy to think other people would associate a store front with "and beyond" with BBaB.

•••
you cant sell a domain for 5k if you list it for 1k

congrats to the buyer and seller

•••
Could the purchasers have pursued a UDRP for this name? Could you argue the "and beyond" suffix is to similar to the Bed Bath and Beyond brand or were the intellectual rights not part of the asset sale?

Name is for a totally different class and there are over 11,000 companies using “and beyond” in their name… so I think it would be a stretch to UDRP.

•••
This is the only thing that’s relevant in these types of situations.

Same with sales like TheDeeply and Galatea. You might have a “better” name but it’s not relevant to *this* buyer.

Your $215k pales in comparison to the ~35 years and hundreds of millions in advertising spent to establish the “and beyond” brand.

Rofl, you mean the andbeyond brand that went bankrupt?

•••
This is the only thing that’s relevant in these types of situations.

Same with sales like TheDeeply and Galatea. You might have a “better” name but it’s not relevant to *this* buyer.
I don't disagree. But there is a buyer like this for every single domain out there. So you are you going to price all your domains at 6 figures waiting for that needle in the haystack? The reality is - one cannot identify properly in advance a name like this that sells for $250k. yes, the seller did in this instance. I surely wouldn't have. Perhaps that's why he's a great seller making 6 figure sales while my sales barely scrape by and get me 4 figures. You and I seem to see the world differently. You've responded to my threads in multiple posts 6-7 times now and argued the counterpoint on each one. Good thing we're not discussing politics ;)

•••
Rofl, you mean the andbeyond brand that went bankrupt?

That doesn’t change the positive association most people have with it. The average person probably wouldn’t even know/remember they went bankrupt.

•••
I don't disagree. But there is a buyer like this for every single domain out there. So you are you going to price all your domains at 6 figures waiting for that needle in the haystack? The reality is - one cannot identify properly in advance a name like this that sells for $250k. yes, the seller did in this instance. I surely wouldn't have. Perhaps that's why he's a great seller making 6 figure sales while my sales barely scrape by and get me 4 figures. You and I seem to see the world differently. You've responded to my threads in multiple posts 6-7 times now and argued the counterpoint on each one. Good thing we're not discussing politics ;)

I price around 5% of my names like this.

I don’t think there’s a crazy buyer like this for every name, but based on certain metrics and data there may be for many. You only find them if you price accordingly.

Differences in opinions are good and what makes for a healthy forum 😃

•••
As the broker for the sale of BABYandBEYOND.com, I am, of course, biased. The buyer had several alternative names to consider. BeyondBaby.com would have been good. BabiesandBeyond.com could have worked. Because BedBathandBeyond.com uses singular words and has a particular rhythm and sequence, BabyandBeyond.com likely met their namesake brand best. I suspect the company also bought BeyondBaby.com and BabiesandBeyond.com as all three domains list the same nameservers, though I do not know.

My seller was fortunate, but he started with a great thesis. His thesis was that an exact match, .com domain name is the best representative for most products, services, and companies. He waited twenty-two years through various Bed Bath and Beyond incarnations to profit. The buying company likely will create a billion-dollar baby brand under the Baby and Beyond banner which makes its investment understandable. Everyone won, which is always the best result.

The domain business is not for the faint of heart or the impatient. Good luck to all!

This is just an FYI as I have no plans to post again. Thank you.

•••
They overspent. Baby.io is much less!

•••
They overspent. Baby.io is much less!

It wasn't a wholesale buy @Keith.

Your argument might make sense if we were talking wholesale buy, but end users have different needs/requirements than domainers.

Remember when Overstock was once O.co: (2011) https://www.thestreet.com/personal-finance/why-oco-didn-t-work-overstockcom-12790511

One could theorize Baby.xyz, Baby.Store, or Baby.ai would make better brands than Baby.io, so why is Baby.io better for a BedBathBeyond rebrand than Baby.AnyOtherTLD? Baby input, baby output?

And (considering this is a Bed Bath and Beyond rebrand), Is "baby" more important to the brand as "and beyond"?

Lastly, Why would Overstock want to brand the new BedBathAndBeyond brand name on anything other than .com?

Last edited:
•••
It wasn't a wholesale buy @Keith.

Your argument might make sense if we were talking wholesale buy, but end users have different needs/requirements than domainers.

Remember when Overstock was once O.co: (2011) https://www.thestreet.com/personal-finance/why-oco-didn-t-work-overstockcom-12790511

One could theorize Baby.xyz, Baby.Store, or Baby.ai would make better brands than Baby.io, so why is Baby.io better for a BedBathBeyond rebrand than Baby.AnyOtherTLD? Baby input, baby output?

And (considering this is a Bed Bath and Beyond rebrand), Is "baby" more important to the brand as "and beyond"?

Why would Overstock want to brand the new BedBathAndBeyond brand name on anything other than .com?
I don’t do wholesale, that’s a need for folks that sell junk.

.xyz, .ai. .store and many others have no stake in the game. What you’re seeing sales wise is a flash in the pan.

Tried and true are .com and .io. I’ll go with .org under protest. Btw, I have killer .us but don’t say it’s an extension you should invest in.

•••
Interesting they did not apply for the TM til this year looks like it's pending. Two classes

For:
ON-LINE RETAIL SERVICES FEATURING BABY FURNITURE, PILLOWS, MATTRESSES, SHEETS, CHANGING PADS AND COVERS, SWADDLE WRAPS, BABY CARRIERS AND WRAPS, NURSING COVER, BOTTLE WARMER, CLOTHES, SHOES, TOYS, BAGS, CAR SEATS, TOWELS, BREAST PUMP ACCESSORIES, BABY FOOD MAKERS, BABY TABLEWARE, PACK N PLAYS; GIFT REGISTRY SERVICES.

International Class(es):
035- Primary Class
U.S Class(es):

Class Status:
ACTIVE

Basis:
1(b)

For:
RETAIL STORES FEATURING BABY FURNITURE, PILLOWS, MATTRESSES, SHEETS, CHANGING PADS AND COVERS, SWADDLE WRAPS, BABY CARRIERS AND WRAPS, NURSING COVER, BOTTLE WARMER, CLOTHES, SHOES, TOYS, BAGS, CAR SEATS, TOWELS, BREAST PUMP ACCESSORIES, BABY FOOD MAKERS, BABY TABLEWARE, PACK N PLAYS; GIFT REGISTRY SERVICES.

International Class(es):
042- Primary Class
U.S Class(es):

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=...TION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch

Other companies have tms One uses an ampersand Baby & Beyond.

•••
I wouldn't even give a handreg fee for it, and I'm sure most here would give the same.
Behind every “amazing” sale is a complex process of money laundering.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back