Dynadot

various Top 10 Most Expensive Domain Name Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ace3coiner

Top Member
Impact
From Sedo News:

Registering the right domain name can be like winning the lottery! But don’t expect every name to have a million dollar payoff.

Many people who have registered a domain have been happily surprised by the amount of money they have been offered for their small investment. Of course, there are also conflicting storylines that don’t result in large paydays, especially as the prices get bigger in scale. However, here are the top ten domain sales to showcase just how crazy the prices for internet addresses can get.

https://sedo.com/uk/about-us/news-press/newsroom/the-top-10-most-expensive-domain-name-sales/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Always heard about SEX . com selling price...but never know about the "other" story...which generated some serious "other" income to wrong owner...

@Ace3coiner thanks for sharing...

•••
•••
Interesting story, thanks for sharing. A number of these are not in NameBio top sales list, surprisingly. Perhaps because in some cases it was more than just the domain name as part of the sale? Here is link to NameBio all-time top sales list.

In case interested I did a post a few days ago on the 20 highest values sales that are in the NameBio "Top Sales of All Time" list, looking at the current use of the domain name as well as the sales price and venue. Here is the summary:
  1. All 20 sales were in the .com extension.
  2. The prices range from $3.6 million to $14 million per domain name. The total of the 20 sales is just over $14 million (the OP has a number of much higher sales not in the NameBio list).
  3. All but four transactions were private sales. Moniker had two of the sales and Sedo one. The other was the Igloo sale, not sure if that should be considered private or a marketplace.
  4. Most of the sales were years ago, the most recent in 2016. 14 were in 2010 or earlier (note that ice from this year is in 21 though).
  5. As of today, one is listed for sale, three are used for redirection, one shows a 'coming soon' lander, one is a legacy page for a company that went out of business, two others are not in use, and 12 of the names have developed content.
  6. It would appear that none are directly used for websites that make the main most popular lists. For example none are on the Moz Top 500 sites (Facebook is on the list, but not as FB).
  7. Four of the top five sales lead to adult websites (3 of 19 names). These are designated by a !! warning in the table and should only be accessed by those 18 and over.
  8. All but two of the active websites go to English language sites.
  9. The types of names on list: 1 single letter, 6 double letter, one four word name (AsSeenOnTV) and the rest are single word.
  10. To protect users from possible harm, Google Chrome flags websites that do not use SSL certificates. Only 11 of the sites have SSL certificates operational at the time I checked. I found this very surprising! I guess if you spend several million for a domain name sometimes don't have $20 left to buy a SSL for the website!
There is not a lot more in the full report, but here is link in case anyone interested. Perhaps not surprisingly if you look at the top 20 from just this year (much lower values obviously) there is more diversity in type of domain name and sales venues.

Bob

•••
Thanks for sharing, great article, @Ace3coiner!

Thank you for the fun stats, @MetBob! Really deep and thorough analysis with unexpected insights at times. The SSL certificate is actually free with some hosting providers. I am not super tech, but found my way around and fixed it for 3 months in SiteGround myself..

This whole undeveloped top-buck domain situation actually prompts me to think, that might be a bit of cleaning in process. Specifically when domains change hands within short period of time so quickly. Anyways, real detailed analysis, thank you, Bob.

•••
🚩

And I am waiting for the most expensive domain name saleee

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back