NameSilo

question Trademark question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

polymorph

AddictedEstablished Member
Impact
We all know there will be legal consequences if you register BMW.com, etc. My question is:
Are you liable if you register BMWtuning.com or unlockBMW.com?
I think you should be, but I see people doing it (Both examples are real). Thank you for your time.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
in today's world..... you're basically liable for anything you do

but it probably depends on usage of the domain and if prior permissions were granted

best advice, maybe find another name

imo....

Last edited:
•••
We all know there will be legal consequences if you register BMW.com, etc. My question is:
I think you should be, but I see people doing it (Both examples are real). Thank you for your time.

yes

•••
No matter what you put infront or behind tm name it's still tm name. So I would stay away. For example do you think you wouldn't have consequences if you registered kleenextissues.com instead of kleenex.com :punch:

But that's just iMhO...:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
With trademark names you simply are taking a huge risk because even if it does not happen right away the company who you are benefiting from using their brand is going to come after you and take you down. I remember putting up a credit card site a while back about a popular bank and so i used the brand name of the bank within my content and also within the URL.

I was getting a ton of traffic and enjoying the ride but then here comes the letter in the mail and basically giving me a warning to take that site down or else face the legal consequences. Not only did my site have to be taken down but all the time and effort I put into building it was wasted. The surge of traffic I received was not worth all the hassle.

One of the key and most important action to take when buying a name is to run it through a trademark checker just to be safe before completing the purchase.

- Will

•••
I can't see any problem if BMW stands for "Buy My Weed" :xf.grin:

•••
Do your best to stay away from trademarks, especially if you know your taking a chance.

I wrote a post about our experience with it here

-Omar

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back