IT.COM

sales Tribune Publishing Company Bought The Domain Name LA.com For $1.2 Million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Tribune Publishing Company bought the domain name LA.com for $1.2 million in February 2016. The sale was revealed in a quarterly report that was filed to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission by the company on the 4th of May 2016.

The seller was MediaNews Group, Inc from Denver that owns more than 2,500 domain names.

In the report the company stated it spent $1.3 million in domain names in Q1 2016 so they also bought 1 or more domains with the remaining $100,000.

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Los Angeles has about 4 million inhabitants per Wiki. In any market there will be numerous competing news outlets - tv, radio, newspapers, online publications so any one media source is unlikely to capture much more than 30% market share. So they paid say $1 per potential reader (4 million x 30% market share) for the domain? However, it appears their actual circulation was only around 600k in 2010 down from 1.1 million at one point as more and more people get their news online. Print circulation may have declined noticeably over the last several years. Years ago I always got the Sunday paper - a tradition from my childhood days. However, it has been years since I actually bought a newspaper to read.

Note the company filed for bankruptcy protection in 2008 yet they feel that the move from legacy newspapers to online reporting was critical enough to obtain this highly-desirable web asset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Times

•••
•••
Congrats to seller and buyer! Definitely a win for the buyer!

•••
Tribune must own the LA Times, I'm assuming. I think this is a smart move. In my state, New Jersey, there seems to be some sort of alliance between multiple local newspapers, including the largest one (The Star-Ledger), to jointly operate on NJ.com.

•••
Well sooner or later their going to have to work on their revenue streams, And LAVehicles.com will soon not be an option for them.
Disclosure: I own it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back