Dynadot

Tricky legal issues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
hi guys, this isn't domain related, but it is an intellectual property issue which I need an opinion on here:-

I have developed some PHP code that will scour AOL's music channels and generate playlists (automatically or manually) that can then be pumped through winamp or an activedesktop component. I.E. you get AOL's music videos in a much nicer format, at your disposal, with no AOL logo or advertising: just a pure database really.

So my question is, if I distribute and host this will I:

1. get in trouble for hotlinking to large video files on AOL without permission.
2. get in trouble for using AOL content as my own (i guess this might constitute passing off?).
3. get in trouble for royalty rights from the artists (even though AOL presumably pays them...?)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
no, yes, yes

You will get in trouble with #3 because it relates to #1.
You have to have concent from aol to legally do this

•••
thanks, much appreciate cmaster.

let's take another situation tho'; if the 'content' is promotional material provided by the record labels to sell albums (like, say movie trailers are); and AOL still hosts them, do issues 2 & 3 still apply?

•••
yes, you're using their bandwith w/o them earning a cent... you'd get in ALOT of trouble for this

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back