NameSilo

Typo's: The low down

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi again,

I am wondering how effective registering typo domain names are? Do they generate much traffic?

If so: what are the best strategies to use? Like the best surrounding characters?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Depends on the typo. Some are worth hundreds of dollars in monthly income. Some are worth nothing.

It depends on:
-market
-amount of traffic
-legal issues

Good markets would be ones that you can get a good PPC rate from (http://www.overture.com - search a term and then click find max advertiser bids) or have lucrative affiliate programs.
Amount of traffic... more=better.
Legal Issues are domains that *may* infringe on trademarks of companies. This can cause some problems with the value of it.

•••
Thanks for the help; do you know where you find out about the legal stuff?

Is there somewhere that specifies the technicalities of the domainname game, or does each business have their set of conditions?

Thanks again.

•••
I have seen alot of typo sites and it does look like they get alot of revenue. Maybe get one if you are interested.

•••
Me too, like g00gle.com and stuff like that; but i'm just wondering what the general strategies are for picking the "right" typo's; if there are any.

Also does anyone know of any stats for typo sites? Like the probability of general mistakes?

Cheers.

•••
Hmm alot of gaming ones are good.

•••
Typo domains, in my opinion, are only effective when
a. you switch a letter or
b. substitute a letter with a surrounding character or
c. minus a letter

I make typos all the time following those rules above. Like www.gppgle.com or www.hotmsil.com. You just need to study your own typos and see what people are more capable of messing up on. However don't load the typo domain with one of those annoying search engine pages, I never use those and click for the right site immediately. If anything you should add cost-per-impression ads. Hope that helps.

•••
Good advcie Cindy. Hiope he gets a good type.

•••
Thanks for all your help guy's, its been great.

I have bought a few domains since your advice, now I just have to see how profitable they are. If your interested I will update my success!

Thanks again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back