Dynadot

URGENT: Need Help Acquiring a Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I need urgent help in acquiring a domain. I can't give details of the domain for obvious reasons. The problem is that the domain is in redemption period and I don't know how to get a hold of it. Its extremely important that I get it. Please help! Following are the whois details of the domain:

Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: Domain Names, Web Hosting and SSL Certificates - Go Daddy

Expiration Date: 2010-06-04
Creation Date: 2009-06-04
Last Update Date: 2010-07-16

I will really appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just did a Google search for "buying domain redemption period" and came up with what looked like relevant results.

Sure you tried that, but worth a shot if you didn't. Just thought I'd try and steer you a little since no one else had replied and I'm not too savvy on the subject-matter other than hitting up Google. ;)

•••
What is Redemptionperiod? | Domain Name Registration - Guides and Articles

If you are not the original registrant you are not going to be able to get at it until it comes back on the open market, if what I read here is correct and no amount of begging will change it.

If you are the registrant I think there is a hefty fee to pay if they have started the deletion process?

•••
go on snapnames and place a bid on it.

•••
I would backorder it at pool and snap. I've actually bought domains from owners who let them go to redemption. They renew for a higher fee then the sale can take place. In your case though you may be able to use domaintools to find out contact info for the owner. Better be quick before it hits pending delete phase!

•••
Pardon us if some portions of this post sound a bit redundant. Nonetheless, we hope this information will in some way help.

It is our understanding if you are the current registrant and you have inadvertently let the name pass the renewal date far enough for it to enter the redemption phase, you will have to pay the fee to redeem the name. To our knowledge, GoDaddy currently charges $80 for this redemption fee [someone correct us if this figure is wrong].

In light of a prior post, which suggested you bid on the name at snapnames (typically a $59 minimum bid...?), you may as well just pay the full $80 direct with GoDaddy and be done with it, being there is only a small difference in cost. You will then have your name back and though a bit costly, lesson learned. Just remember moving forward to renew prior to the actual date.

However, if you are "not" the current registrant then unfortunately, you will in fact have to wait for the name to be released to the open market once again (as also mentioned in a prior post). Typically 30 to 45 days is the standard, though it can fluctuate outside of those time frames. At this point, you may want to use snapnames or some other registrar to help you get the name. Even GoDaddy, which will charge a smaller fee (especially since it is currently registered with them), can help try and obtain the name for you once released again. This method may be best if you are not the current registrant.

At any rate, if in fact you "are" the current registrant - another option you may want to try is contact GoDaddy Customer Service direct (480-505-8877), if you haven't already done so, and speak to a Customer Rep to plead your case. In doing so, ask them if they can wave some or all of the redemption fee as a one time courtesy. Tell them the delay was out of your control. We have recently heard GoDaddy have been willing to at least reduce the fee, so it couldn't hurt to try. Just remember to exercise some courtesy when speaking with them. Demanding they waive or reduce the fee will not benefit you and will only work against you. If the name is just too good to wait, any cost is worth it to get it back, but it can't hurt to try and save a few dollars in the process. Just a thought.

Sorry for the long post. Best of luck. Keep us all posted...

-Regards

•••
However, if you are "not" the current registrant then unfortunately, you will in fact have to wait for the name to be released to the open market once again (as also mentioned in a prior post). Typically 30 to 45 days is the standard, though it can fluctuate outside of those time frames. At this point, you may want to use snapnames or some other registrar to help you get the name. Even GoDaddy, which will charge a smaller fee (especially since it is currently registered with them), can help try and obtain the name for you once released again. This method may be best if you are not the current registrant.

If he can get contact info for the current owner then it's possible to get the domain before it drops. Of course the owner has to go along with it but for a few bucks I'm sure they will.

•••
Thanks a lot everyone who repied. This has helped a lot. As I am in fact not the current registrant, I think I will be going the Snapnames way.

•••
If the expiration is still 2010-06-04 then it has been all the way through TDNAM down to the $5 closeout price and nobody picked it up. Call GD on the phone (don't use online support for this) and ask what the status of the domain is. As long as they haven't set it to delete then you might be able to get it for that $5 plus regular renewal fee.

Let us know what they say.

•••
Woops! Wrong period for the wrong placement.

Snapnames or Pool for sure.

•••
If the expiration is still 2010-06-04 then it has been all the way through TDNAM down to the $5 closeout price and nobody picked it up. Call GD on the phone (don't use online support for this) and ask what the status of the domain is. As long as they haven't set it to delete then you might be able to get it for that $5 plus regular renewal fee.

Let us know what they say.
Agreed. This is a great option, which should not be overlooked. Excellent suggestion. GoDaddy Customer Service #: 480-505-8877.

Keep us posted if you are able to acquire the name. Best of luck.

-Regards

•••
If the expiration is still 2010-06-04 then it has been all the way through TDNAM down to the $5 closeout price and nobody picked it up.

This is correct. This happened about 40 days ago. You could have bought it for $14 for fixed price, without auction. Now you will need to backorder at snapnames.com, wait until it is pending delete and then join auction. I don't think they will bother selling you the domain manually at godaddy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back