NameSilo

Using Trademark domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I own a famous no1 trademark domain and have been using it for the past 2 years for my personal use. Is thre any problems?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not if you compete with the trademark owner....

•••
Originally posted by suthra
I own a famous no1 trademark domain and have been using it for the past 2 years for my personal use. Is thre any problems?

It's hard to say. You never know when somebody is going to enforce their trademark.

•••
Originally posted by g0ldy

So it would be ok for Pepsi-Cola to use Coke.com? I don't think so.

•••
Re: Using Trademark domain

People have a right to enforce their trademark its more a question of will it stand up in court?

If your site is not in compitition with the trademark holders or in anyway related to the trademark chances of you winning are high..

Ebay lost on one of these type cases...

-=BP=-

•••
Originally posted by g0ldy

I think that should read Not if you DON'T compete with the trademark owner....

•••

Potentially.
"Law/Legal" can be discussed generally ... but often times very much comes down to the specifics, case-by-case basis. If you can't mention more here with regard to the exact domain name/case (and I can understand if you don't/can't mention), it may be wise to ask yourself why you registered the domain name, what your plans are for it, and if you have ever considered the ™ holder as a potential suitor/buyer of the domain?
Depending on how you answer those, generally, can lead you down the path as to whether or not you may have any past, current, or future problems associated with the domain name, IMHO.
All the best!

PS. I ain't no lawyer.
B-)

•••
I guess it comes down to what trademarked domain name you are using and what you are using it for (even if it is in a "personal" manner in your eyes, that company's lawyers may not agree).

•••
Hi, guyz, thanks for your remarks. Its not .com,.net or .org or all these major tlds. :). Iam using it as a personal page with no profit intentions. At the same time i do not mean this page as a non profit site. All i mean is its juts a personal page with no ads in it and its on useful to others in any way, since it contains personal info about me.:)

Regards.,
sarathy.s

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back